Series 3 with or without LTE? What are you guys getting?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I was pretty stoked when the LTE model was actually revealed this year, but I'm now considering just going with the 3 without LTE. The more I think about it I'm not sure if I need a separate data plan for my AW.

What are you guys getting? The 3 with GPS or GPS and cellular and why?

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I’m getting the cellular model. Why? Because I can make payments on it through my carrier.
I’ll have to see how true this is, but I was also told that if I didn’t want to keep the data plan on it, I could just cancel it and use the watch as is.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m getting the Series 3 Gold without LTE.
One, it isn’t yet supported by my carrier, two, I don’t need it.
When I don’t have my phone on me I also don’t have time to pay attention to my Watch. Either of those situations rarely happen for me though.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’m getting the cellular model. Why? Because I can make payments on it through my carrier.
I’ll have to see how true this is, but I was also told that if I didn’t want to keep the data plan on it, I could just cancel it and use the watch as is.

I thought about that too, but T-Mo doesn't carry the model I'd want. I think that's true though. You can cancel the data at any time, but from what I understand you have to pay the watch off in full when cancelling.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought about that too, but T-Mo doesn't carry the model I'd want. I think that's true though. You can cancel the data at any time, but from what I understand you have to pay the watch off in full when cancelling.

Yeah, I think T-Mobile only carries the sports versions.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’m getting the Series 3 Gold without LTE.
One, it isn’t yet supported by my carrier, two, I don’t need it.
When I don’t have my phone on me I also don’t have time to pay attention to my Watch. Either of those situations rarely happen for me though.

That's why I'm a little torn. I can't really think of a situation that I'd have my Watch, but not my phone that I'd need a cell connection. I'm sure if I go without LTE I'll run into situations I'd wished I'd gotten the cellular model. Ha!

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
That's why I'm a little torn. I can't really think of a situation that I'd have my Watch, but not my phone that I'd need a cell connection. I'm sure if I go without LTE I'll run into situations I'd wished I'd gotten the cellular model. Ha!

They also didn’t have any models with the new Sports Loop option either.

Indeed, it can always be nice to have in case. I think carriers should be charging $5 though.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
They also didn’t have any models with the new Sports Loop option either.

Indeed, it can always be nice to have in case. I think carriers should be charging $5 though.

That's my thought as well. Not that $10 is a ton of money. It's just a lot easier to swallow a single digit monthly expense. Especially when T-Mo already charges an extra $10 for HD streaming over LTE on their phone plans.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
That's my thought as well. Not that $10 is a ton of money. It's just a lot easier to swallow a single digit monthly expense. Especially when T-Mo already charges an extra $10 for HD streaming over LTE on their phone plans.

No, $10 isn’t too bad. But when you’re using the same number as your phone and for the limited amount of data your watch will be using, I don’t see why it would be that much. Maybe tablets I can understand.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
No, $10 isn’t too bad. But when you’re using the same number as your phone and for the limited amount of data your watch will be using, I don’t see why it would be that much. Maybe tablets I can understand.

Exactly. The Apple Watch is more of an extension of your phone. An iPad is a completely separate device that would be used much more heavily.

Sidenote: I can't remember. With the LTE Apple Watch would I be able to use Apple Pay if I left my phone at home?

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. The Apple Watch is more of an extension of your phone. An iPad is a completely separate device that would be used much more heavily.

Sidenote: I can't remember. With the LTE Apple Watch would I be able to use Apple Pay if I left my phone at home?

If I’m not mistaken, you can do that currently?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
If I’m not mistaken, you can do that currently?

Not sure. I'd think it'd need a connection of some sort either through the phone itself or a separate LTE connection. I haven't used my Series One in a while, because I've been using the S8+ since release. Coming back to iOS though. My memory is a little foggy on Apple Pay.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

The question you have to ask is if avoiding those situations is worth $10 a month?
If it’s not, don’t get it. If it is and you can miss the $10 a month, go for it.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure. I'd think it'd need a connection of some sort either through the phone itself or a separate LTE connection. I haven't used my Series One in a while, because I've been using the S8+ since release. Coming back to iOS though. My memory is a little foggy on Apple Pay.

Damn. I forget. Might have to do some testing this weekend.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

Pretty much the same reason I ordered the cellular model

nardoc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
With Verizon they assign another number to your watch which works with your current iPhone line. I noticed the number in the order I placed but subsequently cancelled.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’ve went with Space Black which is only available with LTE. I won’t be using the feature at all since it’s not supported in my country. And I always have my iPhone with me.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I went with LTE- I was coming from a series zero so anything was an upgrade however I felt that I would regret not getting LTE.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’ve went with Space Black which is only available with LTE. I won’t be using the feature at all since it’s not supported in my country. And I always have my iPhone with me.

That's the one I want as well. I guess I've got no choice but to get the LTE version if I want the SS.