Series 3 with or without LTE? What are you guys getting?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. The Apple Watch is more of an extension of your phone. An iPad is a completely separate device that would be used much more heavily.

Sidenote: I can't remember. With the LTE Apple Watch would I be able to use Apple Pay if I left my phone at home?

Yes you can use Apple Pay on the watches (LTE or not) without the phone so long as it was already set up. The token is secured locally on the watch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Someone please correct me. I thought Watch 2 had Wifi capability. Another words, I can be "untethered" from the phone if I connect Watch 2 to Wifi and I don't have to carry the phone with me everywhere I go.

My understanding is that if you have connected to a WiFi access point with your phone, and it does not require a secondary login screen, then your watch will connect to WiFi if it is not in BT range of your phone. That said, I have never tested that. I have literally never been any place with my watch on where my phone wasn't connected to the same WiFi access point.

See https://www.imore.com/heres-what-apple-watch-can-do-without-iphone (scroll down a bit for the WiFi bit.)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I would like to get the LTE version but I use TMO and I am not sure what models they are currently offering OR will be offering in the near future.

Currently they are offering all three aluminum colors in both 38 and 42 sizes with various Sport Band options. They don't have the SS, Nike, Edition or aluminum Apple Watches with the nylon bands.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Anyone here see the Verge’s review & subsequent Apple statement on the LTE models?

Lauren Goode at The Verge and Joanna Stern at the Wall Street Journal gave similar reviews for the Series 3 Cellular - lots of connectivity problems, and battery life was disappointing. Conversely, John Gruber at Daring Fireball had no connectivity issues at all, and didn't mention battery life issues.

If I needed any convincing, it's convincing me that it's too soon for me for the cellular model. LTE signal around where I live is mediocre at best. Verizon has the best coverage, but a lousy signal is better than the nothing I would get from the other three carriers.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Lauren Goode at The Verge and Joanna Stern at the Wall Street Journal gave similar reviews for the Series 3 Cellular - lots of connectivity problems, and battery life was disappointing. Conversely, John Gruber at Daring Fireball had no connectivity issues at all, and didn't mention battery life issues.

If I needed any convincing, it's convincing me that it's too soon for me for the cellular model. LTE signal around where I live is mediocre at best. Verizon has the best coverage, but a lousy signal is better than the nothing I would get from the other three carriers.

I purchased the LTE version. Should it perform poorly, I can simply turn it off until an update comes that improves it. From what I understand, Apple has acknowledged the issue and plans on expediting a fix - which is uncharacteristic of them. I rather have the option than not.

That being said, and please correct me if I’m wrong, the watch uses your phone’s connection. So if I’m 10 feet from my phone in the pool, I still wouldn’t have to jump out of the pool to answer my phone and can on the watch.

Fingers crossed it works well for me in South Florida.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That being said, and please correct me if I’m wrong, the watch uses your phone’s connection. So if I’m 10 feet from my phone in the pool, I still wouldn’t have to jump out of the pool to answer my phone and can on the watch.

Right, if you are connected to your phone by BT, or your watch is connected to a WiFi access point to which your phone has previously connected. Even if your phone is off, the watch will receive and can place and send calls and texts. However, so will my Series 2 in that situation, as will a Series 3 GPS, all without the $10/month carrier charge.

Again, I am talking about me here - I am much better off with a Series 2 and always carrying my iPhone than upgrading to a Series 3 Cellular and using the watch out and about without carrying my phone at the same time. We'll see where the Apple Watch is in about 16 months when it's been two years since I bought the Series 2.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Right, if you are connected to your phone by BT, or your watch is connected to a WiFi access point to which your phone has previously connected. Even if your phone is off, the watch will receive and can place and send calls and texts. However, so will my Series 2 in that situation, as will a Series 3 GPS, all without the $10/month carrier charge.

Again, I am talking about me here - I am much better off with a Series 2 and always carrying my iPhone than upgrading to a Series 3 Cellular and using the watch out and about without carrying my phone at the same time. We'll see where the Apple Watch is in about 16 months when it's been two years since I bought the Series 2.

This is my first Apple Watch. I’m sure if I had the S2 I would have different feelings. The extra $50 is fine for me to take the risk. I can always cancel the $10/mo. If SHTF. I am also no Apple defender. I came to their platform out of necessity of a dying Windows Phone ecosystem, so I hope my leap of faith carries some weight. But something I know about Apple from my 2 1/2 years on their phone is that they take great pride in polish. Because of that, I am confident these issues will be ironed out. It’s also the reason I’m going all in on the X.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
If I had to choose, I would probably get the non LTE version. I feel my watch should stay a watch and my phone should be my phone 😃 Don't really want to make calls on my watch haha. I'm happy to have GPS tracking for running and such, but LTE isn't worth it to me. Probably would never use it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't expect to be making calls (but orders an S3C anyway). I've done it a few times but it's not a great experience.

Notifications and texts may make it worth it to me. And the ability to use the Watch as a true GPS instead of just mapping my walk is a plus.

I haven't tried the 'Take me home' button on my current Watches because never needed it when I didn't have my phone handy. Maybe I'll give it a go before the S3C gets here.

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Ordered the LTE version through Verizon. I didn't need to make payments on it, but if they want to give me interest free financing for 6 months, no activation fees and three months of free watch service I'll let em' :)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ordered the LTE version through Verizon. I didn't need to make payments on it, but if they want to give me interest free financing for 6 months, no activation fees and three months of free watch service I'll let em' :)

Did Verizon have the SS models or just the aluminum?

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
SS and aluminum are available for pre-order, and looks like the Nike watches will be available as well (they are showing as "coming soon")

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
SS and aluminum are available for pre-order, and looks like the Nike watches will be available as well (they are showing as "coming soon")

I'm hoping TMo gets the SS soon. That's the one I want. I'd love to be able to pay through them. I could put it on a credit card, but would rather have no interest.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
It turns out TMo has the SS now. I just ordered the Space Black SS with Black Sport Band. It's not gonna ship until Oct 30-Nov 13

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
It turns out TMo has the SS now. I just ordered the Space Black SS with Black Sport Band. It's not gonna ship until Oct 30-Nov 13

I’m so mad...lol. Think I’ll just keep what I have, well I should say what I’m getting since UPS hasn’t been here yet

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW