How does the Series 3 watch work with a MNVO?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I noticed during the keynote that the Apple Series 3 watches are carrier specific. I'll like to know if anyone has any idea of how this would or could work with an MNVO carrier, like MetroPCS, cricket, etc?

I'm wondering if it will not work at all or if you can buy one that matches the network provider and just use it that way. I like the idea of the watch but I wouldn't want to change carriers to be able to use one.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I noticed during the keynote that the Apple Series 3 watches are carrier specific. I'll like to know if anyone has any idea of how this would or could work with an MNVO carrier, like MetroPCS, cricket, etc?

I'm wondering if it will not work at all or if you can buy one that matches the network provider and just use it that way. I like the idea of the watch but I wouldn't want to change carriers to be able to use one.

If your provider (MVNO or true carrier) supports the LTE enabled Watch series 3, you’ll be able to buy it. And believe me, you’ll know it if and when it’s supported by your carrier by then.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
If your provider (MVNO or true carrier) supports the LTE enabled Watch series 3, you’ll be able to buy it. And believe me, you’ll know it if and when it’s supported by your carrier by then.

Ah okay, thank you. Interestingly enough, my provider doesn't even sell any tablets, only phones so I hope you're right about this, because I would love to give it a try.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't think the Watches are carrie specific. I didn't have to specify a carrier when ordering my S3C. The Watch has works with your phone so will be on the same carrier as your phone. You can't use it on a different carrier than your phone. You move your phone to a new carrier, the Watch will follow.

On a tangent, you have to have a phone to use the the Watch's cellular functionality. Besides being needed for initial setup, it's assigned the same number as your phone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Watches are carrie specific. I didn't have to specify a carrier when ordering my S3C. The Watch has works with your phone so will be on the same carrier as your phone. You can't use it on a different carrier than your phone. You move your phone to a new carrier, the Watch will follow.

But the carrier you move to must also support the watch. So far, none of the MVNOs do, and there are some regular carriers (US Cellular) in the US that do not. And, as has also been reported, there are individual models for particular countries and/or regions - three models in particular. If you move from the US to Canada, your Apple Watch will still work on a Canadian carrier. If you move to the UK, though, you'll need to get a new watch.

See https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/#mn_p for details on countries and carrier by model.

On a tangent, you have to have a phone to use the the Watch's cellular functionality. Besides being needed for initial setup, it's assigned the same number as your phone.

Well, you need a phone to use a watch, period. Celluar or not cellular.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
LTE Watch uses your phone number. The Bluetooth/GPS model does NOT

The LTE version can be used without phone being near by. You can run swim you can go anywhere and leave your phone at home...the watch will work

The Bluetooth version will not function without phone bear by

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
LTE Watch uses your phone number. The Bluetooth/GPS model does NOT

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If your GPS watch makes or receives a phone call, it, by definition, uses your phone number. It doesn't use a different phone number.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If your GPS watch makes or receives a phone call, it, by definition, uses your phone number. It doesn't use a different phone number.

The Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE gets the same phone number assigned to it as your iPhone.

The Apple Watch without LTE uses the radios in the iPhone to make phone calls and therefore functions essentially as a Bluetooth speaker.
The Apple Watch series 3 has its own LTE radio and doesn’t use the radios of the iPhone (when the iPhone is not with you at that moment)

I hope this explanation somewhat clears up the confusion.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE gets the same phone number assigned to it as your iPhone.

The Apple Watch without LTE uses the radios in the iPhone to make phone calls and functions essentially as a Bluetooth speaker.
The Apple Watch series 3 has its own LTE radio and doesn’t use the radios of the iPhone (when the iPhone is not with you at that moment).

All non-cellular Apple Watches can also make and receive calls using WiFi calling if your phone is not in BT range, if your carrier supports the feature - they are not always essentially BT speakers. And, even in those cases, they make and receive calls using your iPhone’s phone number. Otherwise they are not assigned a phone number at all.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
And this last part is what was meant in the initial post we’re replying on.

That’s why I replied in the first place. I don’t want anyone with a Series 3 GPS (non-cellular) to think that they shouldn’t place a call with their watch because it will use a different number from their iPhone. It won’t. It could easily be misunderstood from the wording on the post above that only the cellular Series 3 would place a call with the same number as your iPhone.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That’s why I replied in the first place. I don’t want anyone with a Series 3 GPS (non-cellular) to think that they shouldn’t place a call with their watch because it will use a different number from their iPhone. It won’t. It could easily be misunderstood from the wording on the post above that only the cellular Series 3 would place a call with the same number as your iPhone.

Thanks for the clarification.
Yes, LTE made it a a little bit more complicated to understand.
Hopefully people with question will find their answer in this thread.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, you need a phone to use a watch, period.

Yes, I addressed that with 'Besides being needed for initial setup'. And the context is using it with Series 3 and LTE, and not the context of Apple Watches in general.

The Apple Watch without LTE, in the context of the OP's question, is just another AW.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods