Additional Carrier Cost for LTE on Apple Watch??

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
One question I’ve been asked a lot is whether you have to activate the cellular option on a cellular-capable watch. The answer is no. It’s just like with iPads — you can buy a cellular model and choose not to activate it until you want to.

The iPad plan (last I checked) was pay-as-you-go. Buy what you need, us it or lose it within a month and your done. Buy another month/chunk or nothing for the next several months. The cool thing is you can buy it from the iPad (cellular iPads obviously) on the fly.

The Watch looks like a subscription rather than a pre-pay plan.

And yes, it is, as are texts, a major money grab. They'd be making money at $5/mo. or the 'Access fee' when you BYOP to a carrier.

You kids may not know this but in the early days of land lines, ATT/Pacific Bell/etc charged you for any extension phones in the home including phones not rented from them. It didn't cost them a dime more, but they wanted their 'due'. They could tell at the CO if you had extensions by the current drawn when your phones rang. Savvy owners would disconnect the bell wire so the extensions didn't ring.

Old-timers, don't admit to knowing about or doing that as you'll date yourself. The only reason I know about it is that great grand-dad would tell us stories while we sat around the quartz heater.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I ask Bell sales, he told me $10/mon and 1gb extra to your share account

Are you in Canada ?
7b9185f766f8f30f714c5e47136b8a9e.png

http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_phone_plans/Smartwatch-data-plans

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Bell Canada give 3 months free and 5$/month after that...

Nice! $5/mo feels fair, not that 'fair' ever had anything to do with cellphone related pricing.

It's three months free and $10/mo with activation fee waived, for US att. I'm not clear on this, but there's something about a limited time promotion, so if you wait too long, no free months and you pay $25 to activate.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Verizon is doing the free 3 months and free activation. And 6 mo payment plan on Watch.
Unsure how long. Then 10.00 month and 30.00 activation fee

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2