Are you going to upgrade to the Series 3?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
For any original Apple Watch, or Series 2 owners out there... are you going to upgrade to the Series 3? If so, why? If not, how come?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Series 2, bought in January. I'm not upgrading. I don't need the cellular features at all. I always have my phone with me, and would never make a phone call with my watch anyway, and really have no interest in being with just a watch and not a phone. (And I am a runner; we're supposedly the ones who want this. Not me.)

dasupaman23

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I am still rocking my SS OG Apple Watch. I think I'm going to be upgrading to the AW3. Just not sure what pricing will be from AT&T yet. I will be getting the cellular model because I like that it can get calls/texts from your phone without your phone being within bluetooth range. The Apple music support will be nice too since I have been moving my streaming to that from Spotify

DanHeb

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
Have both original and series 2, looking to upgrade but waiting to see how much it will cost monthly and if the cellular provider are going to adjust their plans since it will consume more data than only the iPhone some notification are going to be on both

cseggleton

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Had series 2 and really liked it. Ultimately sold it since it did not have LTE or altimeter. Now I will be saying goodbye to my trusty Garmin 630 and buying series 3.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I did not get the earlier watches, but I think it's a good fit for my wife. She is very into fitness and she often leaves w/o her phone, so the new Cellular option is a big plus. I like that Siri works well with the new watch. I think they're really pushing the edge of watches now, it's a great thing to see.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I have the original stainless and I plan to upgrade. I like the cellular option. If I go to an amusement park or something and don’t want to carry my phone I’m still able to be reached. I like the convenience.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Series 2, bought in January. I'm not upgrading. I don't need the cellular features at all. I always have my phone with me, and would never make a phone call with my watch anyway, and really have no interest in being with just a watch and not a phone. (And I am a runner; we're supposedly the ones who want this. Not me.)

Agreed! I just bought my Series 2 with GPS in June and I've only answered two phone calls on my watch so cellular is not a necessity for me. Plus I'm a runner too and don't want to bothered while I'm doing my thing. Could I upgrade sure but do I have to nah!!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hubby just said I could. I thought I'd have to put up a fight ..... esp going from the Nike plus model.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
My AWs and S2 Watch have been A-OK. I wasn't going to upgrade this time round but am now tempted. Trying (half-heartedly) to resist.

davsug

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Agreed! I just bought my Series 2 with GPS in June and I've only answered two phone calls on my watch so cellular is not a necessity for me. Plus I'm a runner too and don't want to bothered while I'm doing my thing. Could I upgrade sure but do I have to nah!!

Same here. Love my S2 and am a runner but always have my phone. Yeah I could leave it at home with this but I just don't. I'd probably upgrade just because I like new things but not with the added cost of an additional cell service plan.

Also, since the S2 has disappeared from the Apple site, does anyone know the technical differences between S2 and S3? Will S2 be able to do everything the S3 does and as well, minus the lte?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Also, since the S2 has disappeared from the Apple site, does anyone know the technical differences between S2 and S3? Will S2 be able to do everything the S3 does and as well, minus the lte?

The S2 lacks the barometric sensor, so won't be able to calculate elevations and stairs climbed. And the processor is something like 70% slower. At some point, maybe not soon, we can presume that watchOS will upgrade to a version that doesn't support the S2 or S1 because the processor is not powerful enough or something.

The S3 also has a more efficient W2 wireless processor but that shouldn't affect functionality compared with the S2.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the original Apple Watch; I've had it for two years now and I love it. But I think I'm going to go with a new one - probably with the cellular option. I really am not fond of that red on the crown though.. I need to find out if it would cost more from my provider to have the cellular on my watch. I doubt that I would use it that often but it would be nice in an emergency. I just don't want to pay more for another cellular plan.

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Nope. My series 2 is only a year old and does everything I need. Not convinced I need a cellular connection on the watch so that version is out (the dot doesn't bother me like some people). Not sure how much of a difference a faster processor will make since I seem to get all my notifications without any issues and apps seem to work just fine. The barometric sensor would be nice but I keep my phone with me while I run so I get my elevations.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2