Home iMore Q&A > Apple Watch Series 3

Are the new Heart Rate tracking options available to older models?

Asked: Sep 12 2017 | 2:33 pm EDT 1908 Views 14 Answers View Best Answer

Ok so i am hoping someone has the answer for this- I still have my first gen watch and its actually in great shape- the cellular isnt that compelling for me to dump a perfectly good watch but the heart rate stuff looks really great! I had heart surgery a month ago so thats pretty important. Is that exclusive to the series 3 or is that in watch os4 software? I am running the beta of 4 and don't see it in there- I know they hold some things for the general release tho... Anyone know?

Best Answer

Sep 12 2017 | 3:07 pm EDT doogald

Jeff Williams was talking about the new heart rate features (notification for high rate, arrhythmia sensing, Apple Heart study) before he announced Series 3, so I am expecting that it is available to all Apple Watches with watchOS 4.

More Answers

Sep 12 2017 | 2:41 pm EDT pkcable

I don't know but my feeling is that SOME of the new features of the heart rate tracking won't be available to those of us on legacy devices. BUT I'm sure what they CAN support they will, such as the displaying for example.
Sep 12 2017 | 2:55 pm EDT phreddyl

hmm- thanks. I gotta find out for sure before friday at 3am...
Sep 12 2017 | 3:50 pm EDT pkcable

Jeff Williams was talking about the new heart rate features (notification for high rate, arrhythmia sensing, Apple Heart study) before he announced Series 3, so I am expecting that it is available to all Apple Watches with watchOS 4.
I hope you are right!
Sep 12 2017 | 5:03 pm EDT phreddyl

Ok I installed watch beta 4 and looks like it’s software. Original Apple Watch lives another day.
Sep 12 2017 | 5:05 pm EDT dasupaman23

I have the public beta profile and it’s still showing 3.2.3 as most current software.
Sep 12 2017 | 5:06 pm EDT Tartarus

I have the public beta profile and it’s still showing 3.2.3 as most current software.
watchOS 4 is not available for public testers.
Sep 13 2017 | 10:41 am EDT pkcable

I converted this thread to a Q&A, so it can be helpful to others with the same question.
Sep 14 2017 | 2:30 am EDT dahazman

The developer beta doesn’t show all the options that were on the screen. But the Watch App in the GM has the option to pick the heart rate I would like to be alerted on.
Sep 21 2017 | 8:22 pm EDT doogald

Ok so i am hoping someone has the answer for this- I still have my first gen watch and its actually in great shape- the cellular isnt that compelling for me to dump a perfectly good watch but the heart rate stuff looks really great! I had heart surgery a month ago so thats pretty important. Is that exclusive to the series 3 or is that in watch os4 software? I am running the beta of 4 and don't see it in there- I know they hold some things for the general release tho... Anyone know?
So, bad news... the original Apple Watch (not the Series 1 that came out last year) apparently does NOT have the extra heart tracking features in watchOS 4.

See https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/21/1...eries-original
Sep 21 2017 | 9:24 pm EDT Mac Guy

So, bad news... the original Apple Watch (not the Series 1 that came out last year) apparently does NOT have the extra heart tracking features in watchOS 4.

That is disappointing. I've got three AWs and one S2. But it's not a deal breaker for me.

This might be related to the AW's battery. It has less capacity Than the S1/2/3 and by now some may beginning to show their age, especially if they've reached their charging cycles quickly.

Apple's policy is that if something doesn't give a good user experience, it doesn't happen. so even if we are content to put up with more frequent charging for a feature, Apple doesn't want a lot of haters saying 'The Watch sucks because...' Overall, I think it's a good policy.
Sep 21 2017 | 9:25 pm EDT Mac Guy

That is disappointing. I've got three AWs and one S2. But it's not a deal breaker.

This might be related to the AW's battery. It has less capacity Than the S1/2/3 and by now some may beginning to show their age, especially if they've reached their charging cycles quickly.

Apple's policy is that if something doesn't give a good user experience, it doesn't happen. so even if we are content to put up with more frequent charging for a feature, Apple doesn't want a lot of haters saying 'The Watch sucks because...' Overall, I think it's a good policy.

Thanks. Good thing I caved and bought the new one.
Every cloud has a silver lining!
Sep 21 2017 | 10:58 pm EDT TripleOne

Series 0 (Original Apple Watch) will not have the new heart rate tracking options.