Are the new Heart Rate tracking options available to older models?

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok so i am hoping someone has the answer for this- I still have my first gen watch and its actually in great shape- the cellular isnt that compelling for me to dump a perfectly good watch but the heart rate stuff looks really great! I had heart surgery a month ago so thats pretty important. Is that exclusive to the series 3 or is that in watch os4 software? I am running the beta of 4 and don't see it in there- I know they hold some things for the general release tho... Anyone know?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
re:

I don't know but my feeling is that SOME of the new features of the heart rate tracking won't be available to those of us on legacy devices. BUT I'm sure what they CAN support they will, such as the displaying for example.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
re:

Jeff Williams was talking about the new heart rate features (notification for high rate, arrhythmia sensing, Apple Heart study) before he announced Series 3, so I am expecting that it is available to all Apple Watches with watchOS 4.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
re:

Jeff Williams was talking about the new heart rate features (notification for high rate, arrhythmia sensing, Apple Heart study) before he announced Series 3, so I am expecting that it is available to all Apple Watches with watchOS 4.

I hope you are right!

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I converted this thread to a Q&A, so it can be helpful to others with the same question. :)

dahazman

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
The developer beta doesn’t show all the options that were on the screen. But the Watch App in the GM has the option to pick the heart rate I would like to be alerted on.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok so i am hoping someone has the answer for this- I still have my first gen watch and its actually in great shape- the cellular isnt that compelling for me to dump a perfectly good watch but the heart rate stuff looks really great! I had heart surgery a month ago so thats pretty important. Is that exclusive to the series 3 or is that in watch os4 software? I am running the beta of 4 and don't see it in there- I know they hold some things for the general release tho... Anyone know?

So, bad news... the original Apple Watch (not the Series 1 that came out last year) apparently does NOT have the extra heart tracking features in watchOS 4.

See https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/21/16347244/apple-watch-os-4-heart-rate-series-original

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
So, bad news... the original Apple Watch (not the Series 1 that came out last year) apparently does NOT have the extra heart tracking features in watchOS 4.

See https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/21/1...eries-original

That is disappointing. I've got three AWs and one S2. But it's not a deal breaker for me.

This might be related to the AW's battery. It has less capacity Than the S1/2/3 and by now some may beginning to show their age, especially if they've reached their charging cycles quickly.

Apple's policy is that if something doesn't give a good user experience, it doesn't happen. so even if we are content to put up with more frequent charging for a feature, Apple doesn't want a lot of haters saying 'The Watch sucks because...' Overall, I think it's a good policy.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site

See https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/21/1...eries-original

That is disappointing. I've got three AWs and one S2. But it's not a deal breaker.

This might be related to the AW's battery. It has less capacity Than the S1/2/3 and by now some may beginning to show their age, especially if they've reached their charging cycles quickly.

Apple's policy is that if something doesn't give a good user experience, it doesn't happen. so even if we are content to put up with more frequent charging for a feature, Apple doesn't want a lot of haters saying 'The Watch sucks because...' Overall, I think it's a good policy.

Thanks. Good thing I caved and bought the new one.

Every cloud has a silver lining! :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73