Series 3 Launch Date?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know when we're going to see the Series 3? Will it get launched when they announce the new iPhones in the fall?

Super excited to see what the Series 3 has in store for us... hoping for lots of good stuff!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
There was more than a year between the original Apple Watch, which launched in April 2015, and the second version of the Apple Watch, so it is possible that we could be waiting until 2018 for the launch of the next Apple Watch. 😃

If we do get an update in September then I think people will get into a routine and expect a new version every year so it's up to Apple how they want to work this.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering what the next Watch update would encompass.

The update from AW to AWSeries 1 and AWSeries 2 was fairly substantial. I think we'll see cellular to some degree— data or data and voice. That seems a lot for an update this year.

So what would we get that's in between that and what we have now? A speed and battery bump? That wouldn't be enough to get me to upgrade unless like some of Apple's past practices, we're getting a little more for the same price.

A round Watch. Oh, yeeaaaaaah, I'd be up for that. Apple has already shown that data could be easily manipulated to be displayed with a little scrolling. There would be some sacrifice in functionality but that's why there's the MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro— choice. And they come in colors, colors everywhere.

It's not a Sharks vs Jets, Mod vs Rockers thing, it shouldn't be a Round vs Square thing. Choice is good. Of course none of that means there will ever be a RAW (Round Apple Watch).

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering what the next Watch update would encompass.

The update from AW to AWSeries 1 and AWSeries 2 was fairly substantial. I think we'll see cellular to some degree— data or data and voice. That seems a lot for an update this year.

So what would we get that's in between that and what we have now? A speed and battery bump? That wouldn't be enough to get me to upgrade unless like some of Apple's past practices, we're getting a little more for the same price.

I don't think that they are ready yet, but better display technology to have some sort of always on display with the same or better battery life; perhaps another hardware button, to have true chronograph functionality with buttons rather than screen presses. I could see a case redesign that makes the watch fit better - not quite lugs like traditional mechanical watches, but a case that tapers at the band attachments to at least look like it wraps around the wrist better.

Of course, as you mention, a round face alternative - but I just don't see this happening, unless Apple has some market research data that shows that they would radically increase sales with a round face.

But I'm not sure that it's necessary to change the hardware radically yet. I still think that the software has a lot further to go on this hardware platform.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't expect AW3 this fall. I think we would have heard rumors by now.

If there is an AW3, the only hardware improvement that would tempt me is an always on feature and I sure don't expect that. I agree with doogald that there's lots of possibilities in improving software.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73