Will the Series 3 have a round option?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Would you like to see a ROUND design when the Series 3 comes out? I know there are a bunch of issues around the round design, which is why Apple hasn't gone down that road yet... but c'mon, wouldn't you like to see it? At least the option to choose the traditional style and a round style?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I dont imagine so. A round watch means they would need a new interface for it. Then they will have watchOS square and watchOS round ??????

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Would you like to see a ROUND design when the Series 3 comes out?

Absolutely! Round watches are great great looking. I think the only issue is the efficiency of displaying data. It would be a compromise, but one I'd be willing to make. Not sure that Apple would ever be willing.

I think there's two main reasons Apple hasn't gone down the road more traveled:

1) they believe there current design is superior and to go round would be going backwards.
2) The rectangular ship is more common among more elegant watches than the round shape. Expensive ≠ elegant.

Also, all other smartwatches have been round. So there's that, too.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
kataran said:
but can they pull it off with Apple's usual flare

Well, 'flare' is subjective and hotly debated when it comes to Apple kit, but I'm sure they could pull it off. I love my 12" 2015 MacBook but very few people do. So I'd very likely be happy, and after all, that what important. :)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
bamf-hacker said:
I dont imagine so. A round watch means they would need a new interface for it. Then they will have watchOS square and watchOS round

I don't think it will happen with S3 either. Apple already has a lot on their plate, especially with the commitment to the Mac Pro.

But there are the iPhone and iPad versions of iOS. I'd guess that the differences between round and square are fewer than with the iPhone and iPad.

My concern would be whether or not they keep compatibility with current watch bands. Doing so might mean a larger and/or more conventional looking watch. Using a new, different lug shape means more freedom in the design, which would be the road I'd expect to see Apple travel.

So while we might see a different form factor with the S3, I think it'll be principally the same shape.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Would you like to see a ROUND design when the Series 3 comes out?

No

I know there are a bunch of issues around the round design, which is why Apple hasn't gone down that road yet... but c'mon, wouldn't you like to see it?

No. It would take a significant effort in software development and I'd rather they put those efforts into improvements for the current watch.

At least the option to choose the traditional style and a round style?

No, if I don't want it, no one should want it. :rotfl:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro