Apple Watch Series 3 News & Rumors Thread

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It would be an ugly mess, just like Pebble.

Those are some tacky Watch faces, and if Apple were to open it up, it would be best if it weren't done like Pebble but by people that Apple heavily vetted and approved.

Pebble didn't/doesn't care about trademark violations or ugly designs. We do need some new watch faces and Apple needs to get on that. But not by dropping the bar.

My thought would be for Apple to allow watch faces to be "sold" through the App Store. This way, Apple could still maintain control and try to prevent copyright issues while giving users much more choice in the watch face they use. It would be interesting to see what new designs are created. I wouldn't be surprised to see tie-in watch faces (for things like games and movies). Then again, Apple may have signed an exclusive deal with Disney, to get Mickey, Minnie, and Toy Story characters on the watch, and this is part of the reason they have so heavily restricted the watch face.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
mogelijk said:
My thought would be for Apple to allow watch faces to be "sold" through the App Store. This way, Apple could still maintain control and try to prevent copyright issues while giving users much more choice in the watch face they use. It would be interesting to see what new designs are created. I wouldn't be surprised to see tie-in watch faces (for things like games and movies). Then again, Apple may have signed an exclusive deal with Disney, to get Mickey, Minnie, and Toy Story characters on the watch, and this is part of the reason they have so heavily restricted the watch face.

Selling Watch faces through the store would still be a problem because Apple would have to curate every Watch face for copyright violation. They didn't do a very good job with that Swiss train station clock years back. They changed a few elements but it was too close for Swiss comfort.

That still would address the fact that less than stellar faces would cheap the look in some eyes, especially Apple's, who's going for some elegance over utility. Rolls-Royce wanted their car back after John Lennon had it custom painted, because they felt in damaged their image in the luxury car sector.

Apple absolutely had to make a deal for the Disney characters. There may already be other deals made for more characters, but I wonder if any will be made after that since Disney did/is pull/pulling their content from iTunes.

But yes, Apple needs more Watch faces. That's partly mainly the reason I'll get a Nike+ S3C. LOL

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Selling Watch faces through the store would still be a problem because Apple would have to curate every Watch face for copyright violation. They didn't do a very good job with that Swiss train station clock years back. They changed a few elements but it was too close for Swiss comfort.

That still would address the fact that less than stellar faces would cheap the look in some eyes, especially Apple's, who's going for some elegance over utility. Rolls-Royce wanted their car back after John Lennon had it custom painted, because they felt in damaged their image in the luxury car sector.

Apple absolutely had to make a deal for the Disney characters. There may already be other deals made for more characters, but I wonder if any will be made after that since Disney did/is pull/pulling their content from iTunes.

But yes, Apple needs more Watch faces. That's partly mainly the reason I'll get a Nike+ S3C. LOL

Actually, that's exactly why I got a Nike+ model. I loved Mickey on my series 2 but the Nike face is just so legible that I'm using it all the time. And I'm most definitely NOT a runner. Also the Nike band is flat out the best I've used so far. The holes help a ton! So far, extremely pleased with S3. Well, other than TMobile screwing us on the extra monthly charge but worth it I guess.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, other than TMobile screwing us on the extra monthly charge but worth it I guess.

Is there more to it than just that there's an extra monthly charge? I think all the carriers are screwing us in the monthly charge. I believe one charges $10/mo and the rest are $15/mo.

My guess is $5/mo would still be profitable for them. I'd prefer free, of course, but there some cost for setting up the back end for Watch LTE support.

But then, I'm still ticked that we have to texts cost us at all and 'unlimited' texts is some how a 'deal' when it costs them nothing. And don't get me started on the fact that we pay for calls and texts received, unlike land lines.

Where did I put my torch and pitchfork!

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Details please.

Apple store said $10 per month for LTE service when I bought the watch. Went to T-Mobile store downstairs in mall and it was actually an extra $15 per month now. Seems expensive but, as in one of my other replies, this is a medical lifeline for me in a way so viewed in that regard, worth it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Apple store said $10 per month for LTE service when I bought the watch. Went to T-Mobile store downstairs in mall and it was actually an extra $15 per month now. Seems expensive but, as in one of my other replies, this is a medical lifeline for me in a way so viewed in that regard, worth it.

Are you on autopay? We're on the Tmobile One plan with autopay on and when we activated our watches through our phones it clearly said $10/mo with the first three months free.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Are you on autopay? We're on the Tmobile One plan with autopay on and when we activated our watches through our phones it clearly said $10/mo with the first three months free.

I know the first three months are no longer free on T-Mobile; and it is possible they raised the price as well. The good thing about T-Mobile is that they grandfather rates -- so your watch will remain $10/month so long as you keep it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Ok, so this has been on my mind, so I called Tmo at the number listed here, specifically under "What happens after my three free months is over?":

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/apple-watch-offer-faq

I was told by the CSR that the 3 free months is still available (with no plans to end it) and $10/mo after that IF you are on autopay. If you are not using autopay then the monthly charge is $15. The Apple reps probably don't know that since Tmo IS promoting it as $10/mo but the extra small fine print that flashes on the screen for 1/100000th of a second states you must be on autopay to get the $10/mo fee.

So by this info I don't think Tmo is "screwing" anybody.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
And a chat I just had with Tmo:

View attachment 123002

Interesting they specifically mention "from any non-T-Mobile channel." I was talking to reps in a corporate store, and they said the three months free has been discontinued as of March -- it appears if you buy the watch from T-Mobile you no longer get the three months free (or possibly even if you activate it in a store).

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Interesting they specifically mention "from any non-T-Mobile channel." I was talking to reps in a corporate store, and they said the three months free has been discontinued as of March -- it appears if you buy the watch from T-Mobile you no longer get the three months free (or possibly even if you activate it in a store).

My wife and I activated ours while at dinner on Friday March 30th using the Apple Watch app on our iPhones. I honestly can't comment on devices purchased from Tmo as everything we get comes directly from Apple.

It's also odd, at least to me, that these corporate store reps would say that without adding that you can activate via ODA and get 3 months free. Definitely strange. But then again I don't work for Tmo.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Having just established this service with AT&T last week, I can verify AT&T's rate is $10.00 a month. I also got the first 3 months free, and they waived the activation fee!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
My issue w/ TMo saying $10 with AutoPay it isn't necessarily true. I get a $5 discount off my phone plan with AutoPay and the reps I talked to said you can't double up and get the discount on the AW plan if I'm already getting the discount of my monthly phone plan

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Question: About location reminder...

If you have a Serie-3 LTE watch and create a location reminder like
“Remind me to buy milk when I leave home”
Let’s say you leave home with the LTE watch but your iPhone stay at home.

Is the reminder will remind me on the watch when I leave home while my iPhone is still there... ?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73