What would you like to see in the Apple Watch Series 3?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I know I know, it's early... but what would you want to see in the next edition of the Apple Watch? Round design option? Thinner profile? What other cool stuff would you like to see packed into the Series 3? Sound off!

JustinVV

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
An OS that isnt full of bugs, Solar charging to extend battery life, make it look just like the Samsung S3, including the watch faces. Get rid of the pathetic Micky Mouse watch faces, Create some better real faces.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Definitely a longer-lasting battery, true GPS capabilities (not just for running/swimming), better watch faces (especially rectangle ones) and better rear sensors panel durability.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
An OS that isnt full of bugs, Solar charging to extend battery life, make it look just like the Samsung S3, including the watch faces. Get rid of the pathetic Micky Mouse watch faces, Create some better real faces.

* I don't want a round watch. For presenting information, round is an inefficient waste of space.
* An OS full of bugs? I think you're confusing Apple and Samsung.
* If you don't like the Mickey Mouse faces, don't use them. There are many options.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
tcuprof said:
I don't want a round watch. For presenting information, round is an inefficient waste of space.

I don't see it as an either/or situation. So a round face isn't as efficient. Nothing says it has to be. Some watches are just a simple timepiece, without even the date, and others are a chronograph. Variety. Since it's a phone accessory, milking every last bit of efficiency out of the Watch isn't all that necessary.

More storage would be nice.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
More storage indeed... but I have to second the round watch face. One of the biggest things I love about the Apple Watch is the activity rings. Having a round watch face would, well... fit perfectly.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
A round watch. Longer battery life. A lower price tag for the entry level model. Maybe a starting price closer to $200.

Price is never an factor in purchasing an Apple Device for me. And frankly, knowing Apple, they'll never lower the prices of their new products.

The current shape of the watch is good enough. Changing it to a round one will make it only worse, not better.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Price is never an factor in purchasing an Apple Device for me. And frankly, knowing Apple, they'll never lower the prices of their new products.

The current shape of the watch is good enough. Changing it to a round one will make it only worse, not better.

I kinda like round watches. A bezel around the screen also adds to the protection. And all of the iPhones have a 1/2 inch bezel on each side right now as well. A rotating bezel would be even nicer, might even replace the crown, or give the crown a different function. As for the price I was thinking more around $239/$249 for the introductory version.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Tartarus said:
Price is never an factor in purchasing an Apple Device for me.

For me, it's almost never. I occasionally take it into consideration. While Apple almost never drops prices on a product, I like that their modus is usually to increase performance and features without increasing price.

Tartarus said:

This might be true for some people if it were to be an either-or situation. It doesn't have to be. There's no argument from me that the rectangular shape can hold and present more information. But it's not always necessary to have every pixel used. Round watches do a pretty fair job of providing a lot of info in a useful configuration. It's nice to have a 12oz mug. But when you're not that thirsty, an 8oz will do just fine.

There is also style. I will say, to the disagreement of many, that the square/rectangular shape has been the iconic shape of high end elegance and will probably be so until time chips are embedding under our skulls. No need for pesky wrist displays.

I wear other clothes besides a black t-shirt and Levi's. (Not a mock turtleneck, and I'm older than Jobs and had the look first.) I have different bands for my Watches. And— I'm a watch guy. I love watches and have several different brands and styles in the three major price categories. For me and others there will never be one watch to rule them all. That said, I wear my Watches more than any of the others, lately.

But the Watch, despite it's touch of elegance, just isn't the mechanical thing of beauty that my other watches are. So I'm torn between the balance of looks and functionality of the Watches, and the amazing beauty and limited functionality of my watches.

So yeah— I want a round Watch.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I kinda like round watches.

I really like round watches. ;) And many of my watches have been diver watches and watches styled to be dive watches. A bezel is very useful, even if it's a 'dumb' bezel with no smart functions. I'd like to see it have some functionality and augment, not replace the digital crown. It's somewhat of an anachronism on a smartwatch (LOL) but I like it on the Watch.

Another feature, possible on only a totally redesigned Watch is an always on mode option, with different analog watch faces. This would require a very efficient display technology that equals or exceeds the current OLED resolution, color gamut, and brightness, or new battery tech, or both. And I'd also want Apple to return to skeuomorphism for the always-on watch faces.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I kinda like round watches. A bezel around the screen also adds to the protection. And all of the iPhones have a 1/2 inch bezel on each side right now as well. A rotating bezel would be even nicer, might even replace the crown, or give the crown a different function. As for the price I was thinking more around $239/$249 for the introductory version.

I can't blame you preferring round watches. I had a Galaxy S3 Classic for a short while. I would still have it today if it wasn't so crippled on iOS. I can't blame Apple for that.... I understand.

Always on face and the rotating bezel in the UI was very intuitive, more so than the AW2 I have now.

Many people thought I was wearing a nice watch, and did not know it was a smart watch.

I hope Apple makes a round one....... but I am not holding my breath.

gear-s3-classic-03.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nothing really. My gripe is with parts of watchOS. For example, I'd like the ability to mass delete iMessages/SMS messages.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Well, I'm glad that at least Tartarus agrees with me that the current shape is better than round. :)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned wanting an optional always on display. When the watch was first introduced, there was a LOT of griping about not having it. I'm not sure if I'd use it nor what the battery life implications are, but I'm thinking it would be well received.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm surprised no one has mentioned wanting an optional always on display.

I may have mentioned that in another post. But for this to happen, Apple has to make a HUGE breakthrough in battery tech or change the type of display to one much more efficient. I don't know if OLED fills that bill.

There are many mechanical watch dials that are stunningly beautiful, work of arts. And most of them are round. This is one of the thing I really miss by/when not wearing my mechs.

I could compromise if waking the Watch gave me a watch face as exquisite as Bremont Kingsman, Rolex Sub, Rolex Oyster Perpetual, etc. Something that looks like that when not displaying smart data would AWESOME.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73