Apple Watch speed and distance accuracy on treadmill?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all - have been using my Apple Watch for some time now for all of my running workouts. It works PERFECT for outdoor runs... but being from Canada, in the winter a lot of the time I'm on a treadmill, indoors.

I've noticed for the longest time that the speed and distance accuracy is WAY off. In fact, it can be over 1MPH off (faster) than my actual speed, and this effects distance calculations as well.

It's extremely frustrating because I use ZWIFT to run and bike, and these calculations effect my standing in the 'virtual world' of ZWIFT. I'd like the numbers to be as spot on as possible.

Any ideas?

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing. The calculations on my watch vs my treadmill seem to be off. I agree it's frustrating especially when you're relying on it for accurate tracking results. Not sure what to do about it though.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I use Endomondo and from iPhone to start a workout. The app automatically starts on the watch (I still have the original version). That way health stats (heart rate, etc.) get logged. Since I'm typically indoors during the week on the workplace elliptical or treadmill, there's no way to capture more accurate distance beyond what the machines provide - which is in tenths of a mile. Once the workout is over, I'll edit the results and add in the distance to the Endomondo workout. Endomondo is connected in Apple Health, so data from that flows into the Activity fields.

Not the most accurate, but that's how I've "solved" for the Apple Watch. I've also been experimenting with Fitbit Ionic and it has the ability to automatically calculate exercise type, distance traveled, etc. GPS on the watch is in the same state, so end up editing the Endomondo results as above.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It’s pretty far off for me as well. I don’t love it but I’ve accepted it for now. I hope Apple fixes it.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I used to use Vi, which is an AI trainer/ear buds. It was a pretty cool crowd funded concept but ended up not being for me. They’ve added a specific treadmill workout to their list. I might dust it off and try it out to see how accurate it is. It’s near impossible to measure treadmill runs with accuracy. Someone with quick turnover like me can be running a 12 min mile (5mph) but bc I’m turning over so often, the AW things I’ve travelled more distance when in reality, I’m running very slowly.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
It took a few outdoor runs (with the Strava app) last year to calibrate my AW2, and now it measures treadmill distances with almost perfect accuracy. I ran 3.61 miles on the 'mill yesterday and the watch was right in the mark. My runs are usually 3.25 - 3.6 miles and it's never off by more than 0.1 miles. In contrast, my previous running watches - Polar M400 and Garmin Vivoactive - were never even close, or required constant fiddling to calibrate a paired footpod, and even then the AW2 has been more accurate. I'm extremely impressed!

James, regarding Zwift... Have you paired with a footpod? I understand that's a requirement to use it.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It took a few outdoor runs (with the Strava app) last year to calibrate my AW2, and now it measures treadmill distances with almost perfect accuracy. I ran 3.61 miles on the 'mill yesterday and the watch was right in the mark. My runs are usually 3.25 - 3.6 miles and it's never off by more than 0.1 miles. In contrast, my previous running watches - Polar M400 and Garmin Vivoactive - were never even close, or required constant fiddling to calibrate a paired footpod, and even then the AW2 has been more accurate. I'm extremely impressed!

James, regarding Zwift... Have you paired with a footpod? I understand that's a requirement to use it.

Interesting. I’ve used Strava, Runkeeper, and the workout app outdoors and none of them have helped my treadmill accuracy.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I ran 4.05 miles on the treadmill this morning, but the watch recorded only 3.91. That's the least accurate result I've seen since switching from a Polar M400 (plus footpod) last year.

Oh, and when did Strava update their Watch app and add the ability to track indoor runs? I noticed it this morning when I opened the app by accident.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I did another treadmill run this morning - 3.37 miles, and Strava recorded it as 3.30. I think it needs to be re-calibrated with a few outdoor runs.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I did another treadmill run this morning - 3.37 miles, and Strava recorded it as 3.30. I think it needs to be re-calibrated with a few outdoor runs.

I’ve found that my treadmill run accuracy depends a ton on my outdoor runs. For example, when I run alone, I run faster than when I run with my friend. After I run with my friend, my treadmill runs are a lot slower than actual speed. After a few runs alone, they are faster than actual speed. My cadence is pretty consistent throughout so I’m guessing that’s why.

dalecouture

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
I have found that while I am on the treadmill if I swing the arm with my watch at a typical cadence it gets pretty close if I am walking.

Hey all - have been using my Apple Watch for some time now for all of my running workouts. It works PERFECT for outdoor runs... but being from Canada, in the winter a lot of the time I'm on a treadmill, indoors.

I've noticed for the longest time that the speed and distance accuracy is WAY off. In fact, it can be over 1MPH off (faster) than my actual speed, and this effects distance calculations as well.

It's extremely frustrating because I use ZWIFT to run and bike, and these calculations effect my standing in the 'virtual world' of ZWIFT. I'd like the numbers to be as spot on as possible.

Any ideas?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner