Will you upgrade to Series 3??

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Recently, I've only been wearing my automatic watches. It is definitely nice to wear a smart watch from time to time. I will be keeping an eye on the Series 3, I might get one if the upgrades are worth it.

I wore my Apple Watch Series 2 for about three weeks before I went back to my Breitling. I’m considering wearing it again, but I do like the look and feel of a real watch.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wore my Apple Watch Series 2 for about three weeks before I went back to my Breitling. I’m considering wearing it again, but I do like the look and feel of a real watch.

The Watch is a “real” watch........Anyway, I’m just messing with you. I know what you mean.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm still considering wearing two watches as I've have a few nice mechs that languish next to the utility of a Watch.

A lot of people, mostly oddly proud rank Haters, love to dish and dis- Apple for its/their frequent preference of form over function. That's how I see 'real' watches compared to smartwatches.

'Real' watches (quality watches) are frequently beautiful even gorgeous in form, if very short on function. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Smartwatches, while superior in functionality, lack the often exquisite execution of a finely crafted mech.

Two of my mechs are vastly overpriced compared to their competition, one of them oft imitated, but I don't mind just because I still marvel at their amazing craftsmanship, even though they just tell time and date. And if they were lost or stolen, I could never afford to replace them with todays prices, especially for my vintage versions.

That said, I could afford to replace a Watch many times over for what any of my mechs would cost. Still, Watches are what I wear daily, because they are nice looking if not exquisite, and they are highly functional. So I may just be a Two Watch Guy.

It's too soon to know if I'll upgrade to an S3 since it hasn't debuted. I can't imagine what it might have (unless there's a Round Edition addition) to make me leap but then I'm not a visionary. So it's wait and see for me.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm still considering wearing two watches as I've have a few nice mechs that languish next to the utility of a Watch.

A lot of people, mostly oddly proud rank Haters, love to dish and dis- Apple for its/their frequent preference of form over function. That's how I see 'real' watches compared to smartwatches.

'Real' watches (quality watches) are frequently beautiful even gorgeous in form, if very short on function. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Smartwatches, while superior in functionality, lack the often exquisite execution of a finely crafted mech.

Two of my mechs are vastly overpriced compared to their competition, one of them oft imitated, but I don't mind just because I still marvel at their amazing craftsmanship, even though they just tell time and date. And if they were lost or stolen, I could never afford to replace them with todays prices, especially for my vintage versions.

That said, I could afford to replace a Watch many times over for what any of my mechs would cost. Still, Watches are what I wear daily, because they are nice looking if not exquisite, and they are highly functional. So I may just be a Two Watch Guy.

It's too soon to know if I'll upgrade to an S3 since it hasn't debuted. I can't imagine what it might have (unless there's a Round Edition addition) to make me leap but then I'm not a visionary. So it's wait and see for me.

I view “real” watches as wearables that function as a timepiece, whether solely or in combination with other functions. A “traditional” watch is what I consider to be a wearable timepiece with non-smart watch features....

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I view “real” watches as wearables that function as a timepiece, whether solely or in combination with other functions. A “traditional” watch is what I consider to be a wearable timepiece with non-smart watch features....

That's a pretty accurate statement actually. With everyone having a phone that displays the time, is there any reason to wear a watch aside from the fact that it is jewelry? Just a thought.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I view “real” watches as wearables that function as a timepiece, whether solely or in combination with other functions. A “traditional” watch is what I consider to be a wearable timepiece with non-smart watch features...

I could not agree more, hence my use of quotes around 'real'. In lieu of traditional, I use 'mechs' as it's quicker to type. :D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's a pretty accurate statement actually. With everyone having a phone that displays the time, is there any reason to wear a watch aside from the fact that it is jewelry? Just a thought.

Not really, but for people like me who have worn watches almost their entire lives, it’s second nature for me to look at my wrist. Even with my iPhone right next to me, I would have to make a conscious effort to get the time from it. Know what I mean?

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Not really, but for people like me who have worn watches almost their entire lives, it’s second nature for me to look at my wrist. Even with my iPhone right next to me, I would have to make a conscious effort to get the time from it. Know what I mean?

I do, and I’m the exact same way. But it seems like almost everyone else just looks at their phone.

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I had to train myself to wear a watch for my job. Now I definitely look at my watch way more than my phone. Especially since my phone isn't technically allowed at work. Just wish it had an always on watch face. Would make life a bit easier.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Exactly!
I love winding the movement and seeing it function. I don't think I'll be wearing a smart watch anytime soon. Unless the Series 3 convinced me.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I rarely use my phone for time. I am a watch wearer as well. Much prefer that over digging my phone out of my pocket.

Like what you said, it is much easier to check the current time from a watch instead of a phone. And on the plus side, the Apple Watch also shows different complications as well as your notifications.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I really can't answer until we know exactly what the Series 3 (or the next AW, whatever they call it) will be - it's hard to comment on rumors - but it seems highly unlikely that I will upgrade so soon after buying a Series 2. If I had bought the original when it first came out - maybe. But, at this point, I'm most likely to consider upgrading when the latest watchOS no longer supports the Series 2 that I wear now, or if my watch stops working for some reason (which will make me question whether the watch is durable enough for every day.)

(Oh, as for automatic watches - I still love them, and when I wear one, I just wear the AW on my right wrist, for the notifications and health data collection.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen