Closing Rings Syndrome

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I can't get over how obsessed I am with closing Rings. I am a big watch fan and get depressed when I wear another watch for a day and don't get to close my rings... It is actually pathetic...Does anyone else suffer from this?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That’s actually want Apple wanted. They wanted people to want to close the rings everyday and promote a more active lifestyle. I’ve done good this year, I think I’ve only missed two days and they weren’t even my fault. I ran into some sort of issue on those days. It’s fun to watch them close.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I can't get over how obsessed I am with closing Rings. I am a big watch fan and get depressed when I wear another watch for a day and don't get to close my rings... It is actually pathetic...Does anyone else suffer from this?

Hi, I'm Mac Guy and I'm a Ring Closer Addict.

I'm two months of solid ring closing.

I feel your pain on all levels. I threaten to start wearing two watches just so I can wear my nicer mechs and still close the rings. Recently I woke up with a lot of pain on one side for some unknown reason. It felt as iff someone broke in the middle of the night and beat me up.

Painful for over a week (though getting better) I still had to make my goals. It's hot and muggy. Maybe I'll stay in. NO! Got to make my goals! For the first few days after the pain started, every step was a knife jab in the ribs. But it's getting better all the time, and my 2mi Move goals are met.

I didn't even realize I had got my 6/2017 Achievement until after I got my 7/2017 Achievement. Some days I want to kick back and dream of bon bons, and bacon, french fries, and gravy! But NO! The Rings will not be deprived! Oy.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
That’s actually want Apple wanted.

Yes. As I said in another post, Stand rings are the gateway. And the Rings will not be denied!

On a couple of rainy days I resorted to walking in malls and spending a couple of hours in an Apple Store, such was my desperation.

It’s fun to watch them close.
And it's anguish and Hell to miss one. I know I won't make the 365 Achievement a personal goal. But I will get sucked into it. I do know that.

Fortunately, it's not 365 consecutive days.

The Rings are genius in their simplicity. Most people aren't process-oriented enough to do the FitBit/dedicated fitness watch regimen. For every person in the gym on a machine checking their vitals, there are probably 10,20,30, or who knows how many more living a less active life style.

The Rings, Activity app, and Achievements work to motivate those less dedicated to fitness. I have to wonder how many people who bought the Watch as a smartwatch are now using it as a fitness Watch.

Last edited:

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
My AW definitely motivates me to close all the rings. I originally bought it as an extension of my 7 Plus so I don't have to dig my phone out of my purse to check it and I figured the fitness aspect of it would be secondary. Well it's the opposite as it's become my go-to for tracking fitness and it serves as a nice bonus to leave my 7 Plus behind during my daily running club. For me closing the rings feels like a competition between me and my watch...and I will win!!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Oh for sure! I think sometimes technology helps us be better and sometimes it's a hinderance. I've actually had a friend tell me that he's motivated by his Fitbit and Apple Watch but one day he forgot his Fitbit and thought that was an excuse to not walk or workout since he wouldn't be getting credit anyway I pretty much close all rings every day except on my rest days (usually Sundays)

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Today will make 745 consecutive days for closing the move ring. I think it's safe to say I'm obsessed.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I pretty much close all rings every day except on my rest days (usually Sundays)

No rest for the wicked. My walks aren't intensive enough to demand a rest day, so the Rings beckon.

I originally bought it as an extension of my 7 Plus so I don't have to dig my phone out

I got mine primarily for Apple Pay since the 5s doesn't support it, and for keeping my phone in my pocket. Fitness was never a consideration. Only recently have I started playing with the Rings, and that's all it took. My current record is 65 consecutive days of completing Move rings (all of them actually) and 100 Move days. I'm trying to quit. Really.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
It is good to see that I am not alone. I did a test yesterday and took a good power walk with my dogs and left my watch at home on purpose. I hated every step of it... I was not getting credit!!! The walk was useless!! LOL..... I have issues

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It is good to see that I am not alone. I did a test yesterday and took a good power walk with my dogs and left my watch at home on purpose. I hated every step of it... I was not getting credit!!! The walk was useless!! LOL..... I have issues

Lol. We all have issues. I've definitely driven home from work to get my fitness devices when I've forgotten them. The AW is kind of hard for me to forget because I always have a watch on ... but I have def forgotten my Fitbit on multiple occasions.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I work at it. A 140+ days roll right now - since being sick this past spring. I'll bet I'm at closing all but a few days since getting the watch.

It's a fine obsession. I'm going on age 60, my size 32 pants are baggy, and its been years since I was this strong on a mountain bike.

We pursue closing the rings with same enthusiasm many we know have for bad habits.

We've had to roll back the goals for smart or don't get injured sports recovery a few times such as 300% and 400% days in a row.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I loved the video during the keynote.

Same here! And that 'I walk around the house. My family thinks I'm a little crazy.' made both me and my girlfriend LLOL. We didn't roll around the floor (during a Keynote? That's crazy!) but we really laughed. We both do that if the weather or timing meant we couldn't get outside.

But if it's early enough the mall is worth the trip.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Before I bought a treadmill, I walked many laps in the house. And my wife did indeed think I was a little crazy.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner