AW2 Randomly Died

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I've had my Apple Watch Series 2 for almost two months now. It has never been dropped or anything and I've never had issues with it--until today. I took it off my wrist last night and set it on my dresser with about 70% battery left. I grabbed it this morning and it wouldn't turn on, so I thought maybe for some strange the battery drained over night. After about 6 hours on the charger, I tried it again. Still nothing. I've tried holding just the power button as well as holding the power button and crown together. I've also tried my wife's AW charger to make sure my charger didn't just die. The Watch gets warm when it's on the charger, but it does nothing. It doesn't even show the Apple logo. Has anyone else experienced this, or heard about it?

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
The same thing happened to mine tonight except it came back on after a few minutes. When I noticed it wouldn't come on I put it on the charger.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have not. But my FIL had this happen with his series 0. I think he put it on the charger and it came back to life eventually. I've not seen it with my series 0 or series 2.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Nope, This has not happened to my Black SS (original series). I would definitely make my way to an Apple Store if this happened tho.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Nope, This has not happened to my Black SS (original series). I would definitely make my way to an Apple Store if this happened tho.

I brought it into the Apple Store and they weren't able to get it turned on either. Unfortunately, I guess they don't offer the same quality in-store support as they do for their iPhones. They sent it out for service and said I'll receive it back in 5-10 business days.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I brought it into the Apple Store and they weren't able to get it turned on either. Unfortunately, I guess they don't offer the same quality in-store support as they do for their iPhones. They sent it out for service and said I'll receive it back in 5-10 business days.

Hope they replace it for you.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

I recently sent my AW S2 to the Genius Bar due battery bloated after charging one morning and it's also just over 2 mths old. Was told it'll take up to 15 business days and I got back in 8 days.

Hope all goes fine for your case.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm disappointed to hear that Apple isn't just immediately replacing your relatively new watch.

I was very disappointed. One of my favorite things about being tied into the Apple ecosystem was their in-store support. Hopefully this is just how it is with the Watch and not a forward moving trend with all of their products. I received an email today saying my Watch will either be fixed with refurbished parts or replaced with a refurbished device. I'm not sure why they can't keep refurbished inventory in-store, then send out the defects for service.

Edit: Also, this is with having AppleCare+. They did give me the option to have a refurbished device mailed to me first (standard shipping), however there is a $30 fee for doing it that way.... to replace one of their defective products. It just seems to go against everything Apple used to stand for.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I was very disappointed. One of my favorite things about being tied into the Apple ecosystem was their in-store support. Hopefully this is just how it is with the Watch and not a forward moving trend with all of their products. I received an email today saying my Watch will either be fixed with refurbished parts or replaced with a refurbished device. I'm not sure why they can't keep refurbished inventory in-store, then send out the defects for service.

Edit: Also, this is with having AppleCare+. They did give me the option to have a refurbished device mailed to me first (standard shipping), however there is a $30 fee for doing it that way.... to replace one of their defective products. It just seems to go against everything Apple used to stand for.

Yea I still don't understand why they make it more difficult to replace AWs. Disappointing.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm disappointed to hear that Apple isn't just immediately replacing your relatively new watch.

I'm guessing that they are so constrained on watches, especially returns, that they cannot stock refurbished devices in every store, nor have enough to replace watches in a more timely manner based on failure rate and the number of refurbs. So, they centralize the "repair"/refurb process. And new watches may be constrained enough that it's too expensive to give a new device in lieu of a refurb.

That's the only thing I can think of compared with the way they support phones, tablets, and computers.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner