Who is using the Watch GPS regularly, and how are you using it?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Recently, I set out on a bike (motorcycle) ride with a route from Maps on my Mac and transferred to my 5s via Handoff.

As I knew the first leg of my route, I didn't start Maps on the phone. When I opened Maps for the second leg, I found that it wanted to start from the very beginning of the first leg, but I was miles away.

Not realizing that a fuse had blown previously, the phone-charging circuit was dead, and my 5s followed suit shortly thereafter. So I had little to no idea where to go for the rest of the journey.

When I looked at my Watch to check the time, lo and behold— there were directions! So I got very near to my destination and then— it wanted to give me Starting directions from some unknown street with no graphics but a blue dot on the grid.

I Lewis and Clarked my way to were I wanted to be, without Sacajawea, then back home (without any GPS).

So, how's GPS work when using only the Watch? With no cell or internet connections, it obviously got its data from the phone. Maps uses Vector graphics and a given amount of data is downloaded at intervals and can be used 'offline' to a limited degree. I'm assuming that when my phone died, the Watch ran of what data it had taken from the phone, and when that was gone, there was no more route info to display.

So, whether or not that's correct, can someone explain how to use Watch GPS when the phone isn't present or functional? (The Watch actually uses the phone's GPS if the phone is present.)

With no phone, 'Siri, take me home with you' didn't work (seldom works with Tiffany, Staci, Jacki, but always works with SanDe*) nor did the Take Me Home button.

Do you guys then just use it to track a run?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I use GPS the most to track my runs. I've used Strava, RunKeeper and the workout app. Lately, I've just been using the workout app since I got my new VI (AI earbuds) that has an app that also tracks the run. I also use it for driving directions because I'm a hopeless cause with directions.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I use Strava to track my cycling activity just about every weekend. After you're done, just sync it with your phone when you open the app. I save every ride though.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hm. If I'm understanding you both, the S2 GPS won't do what I want, which is the way GPS in vehicles is traditionally used.

On the S2, it merely tracks your path and then syncs it to your phone. In that case, the GPS has no utility at all for me.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I just saw this from Rene's Best Apple Watch article listing its virtues:

stand-alone GPS tracking for outdoor workouts

So that reenforces the potential value of getting an S1 instead of an S2. Had I a mulligan I'd have got a Nike+ (because I like the two extra Watch faces) instead of a generic S2. Otherwise no more S2s for me.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Hm. If I'm understanding you both, the S2 GPS won't do what I want, which is the way GPS in vehicles is traditionally used.

On the S2, it merely tracks your path and then syncs it to your phone. In that case, the GPS has no utility at all for me.

You're right. Initially I refrained from getting the S2 as the GPS does not function the way I wanted as you described, so I was forced to upgrade due to my original AW constantly failing despite 3 trips to the service centre.

Currently the GPS is only for workout tracking but who knows in future there might be map apps or other apps that'll work with the S2's built in GPS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW