Question about back of gen 2 watches.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a series 1. I was talking with few people and found out that the back of series 2 watches is made differently then series 1? Something about series 1 being plastic type backing and series 2 being ceramic type. When I was on phone with apple support getting my repair set up I mentioned about how I feel watch sticks to my wrist, they suggest I try series 2 because of difference in it. Fine and all but lot of money for me swallow something " might change ". Is the difference in back accurate statement ? I mean my wrist does sweat I don't keep it on tight at all. Maybe different band instead of sport band ?
Sorry about title was thinking was called gen instead series I corrected my post but dunno how fix the title.

Last edited:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
While the backs are made of different material, I wonder if that affect the adhesion you feel with your S1.

I think (but don't know) that the back is the area around the sensor and not the sensor itself. That being the majority of the Watch's contact with your skin, I'd think maybe the difference if any, would be slight. Can you tell if it's the entire back that sticks to your skin or must part of it?

A Nike or Nike Knock-Off might reduce sweating. A Woven Nylon might 'breath' better as well. But I don't think a different band will make much if any difference in the Watch itself sticking to you.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
While the backs are made of different material, I wonder if that affect the adhesion you feel with your S1.

I think (but don't know) that the back is the area around the sensor and not the sensor itself. That being the majority of the Watch's contact with your skin, I'd think maybe the difference if any, would be slight. Can you tell if it's the entire back that sticks to your skin or must part of it?

A Nike or Nike Knock-Off might reduce sweating. A Woven Nylon might 'breath' better as well. But I don't think a different band will make much if any difference in the Watch itself sticking to you.

The portion that always feels like it's sticking directly to my skin / wrist is black circular portion aka sensor. I've been told it's both normal and not normal. I do not have it to tight because if I put it one more notch bigger it slides up down my arm like crazy. But when I take it off my wrist is really sweaty in that one small spot, and the watch itself in that black circular spot is covered in sweat and like a " gunk, grime ? " I dunno what call it from my sweat build up it's pretty gross. I've been suggested trying series two and also been told that it's possible my skin might be allergic to material ?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The portion that always feels like it's sticking directly to my skin / wrist is black circular portion aka sensor.

My best guess, and it's only a guess, is that the sensor itself is made of the same material for both Series 1 and 2 Watches, and that it would be a waste of money to buy an S2 to alleviate the 'stickiness'.

As to a potential allergy to the Watch, is there some other reaction to wearing the Watch compare to wearing another brand or not wearing one at all?

Because the sensor is a highly polished surface compared to the rest of the back of the Watch (except maybe for the Stainless Steel backs) it's possible that it's 'sealing' to your skin more so than any other part of the Watch and trapping perspiration.

We all sweat. Well, women don't sweat, they glow. As someone who once routinely wore a watch 24/7 for extended periods, cleaning a watch regularly is necessary for everyone, eventually. Working out accelerates that.

I say don't bother with an S2 unless you decided you need a more waterproof Watch or GPS. Unless you've got cubic dollars of disposable income, then it's a different story.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your info. They are made differently that was advice from apple employee was to go to store try it out feel of it etc. after a day if I don't take it off during day ( within say 8 hours ) right where that sensor sits my skin will turn red. And no I've had other watches I've had other brands smart watches in past when I had android none did this.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
if I don't take it off during day ( within say 8 hours ) right where that sensor sits my skin will turn red.

That's happened twice to me, but I don't remember any particular circumstances that might be responsible or if I was wearing my AW or AWS2.

After just examining the back of an AW and my S2 with a 20x illuminated magnifier, I noticed two things:

1) the AW shows Composite Back around the sensor and the S2 shows Ceramic Back in the same position. (You don't really need magnification to see it. Just thought I'd mention it.)

2) the AW and AWS2 sensors are visibly different!

Seen close up, the AW sensor has a slightly wrinkled surface akin to what car guys call 'orange peel' when describing most factory car paint finishes. Neither of these surfaces are as drastic as the surface of an orange, but there is a marked similarity.

However the AWS2 ceramic back's surface is very smooth, like highly polished glass. This almost mirrors the Watch case surfaces of the Sport/Aluminum Watches compared to the Stainless Steel Watches.

So it's possible that the difference in materials could cause some kind of allergic reaction on you.

Another thought (and it's kind of 'out there') is that since you wear your Watch loosely, the somewhat irregular surface is rubbing against your skin enough to irritate it. Not an allergy, but an irritant still. Maybe wearing your Watch a little tighter would correct that. And if you initially wore your Watch with the band tight, then forget everything I just said.

Finally, you might just buy an S2 to try in for a few days. I don't recall Apple's policy specifically, but I think you could return it in a few days (14? 30?) saying it irritates your skin. BB would almost certainly take it back in 30 days.

If you go that route, get a Nike+ in Silver and tell me when you're returning it. I'll be right behind you to swoop on an Open Box purchase! :D

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess I can always count on this form for makin me feel like I asked the dumbest questions possible.

It wasn't a dumb question and I don't see where anyone said anything to make you feel that way.

Anyway, I have read of people having a reaction to these sensors, not just in the Apple Watch. It's rare, but it could happen. I don't know why, but I have seen some others with that issue in the FitBit community if I remember correctly.

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
It wasn't a dumb question and I don't see where anyone said anything to make you feel that way.

Anyway, I have read of people having a reaction to these sensors, not just in the Apple Watch. It's rare, but it could happen. I don't know why, but I have seen some others with that issue in the FitBit community if I remember correctly.

Yes a lot of people get that reaction from fitbits. The advice fitbit gives is to clean the back of the watch regularly and to wear it loosely unless you are working out. I myself can't wear the rubber bands, I use either leather or nylon.i have very sensitive skin(eczema) and have never had a problem.

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes a lot of people get that reaction from fitbits. The advice fitbit gives is to clean the back of the watch regularly and to wear it loosely unless you are working out. I myself can't wear the rubber bands, I use either leather or nylon.i have very sensitive skin(eczema) and have never had a problem.

I got the series two, Nike. My wrist doesn't sweat as much the sensor still sticks but after two days of wearing it constantly there is no rash or redness like I was saying from my series 1.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the original AW (series 0) and now a nike plus model. Didn't have issues with either one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro