ifixit Teardown of the AWS2 (Apple Watch Series 2)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
A very interesting video in which iFixit takes an AWS2 apart :crying: showing some of what goes into Apple Watch design and comments on its repairability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAE3Q5adDWA#t=599.53978088

I'd like to be in on designing this and maybe some other Apple products from the time they lay out a clean sheet of paper to the time the first prototypes and retail product are produced. Ok, maybe a time lapse version, because surely this isn't an 'overnight' process. And don't call Jony 'Shirley'.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Interesting stuff. Now let's see him reassemble it!

The thing is I'm fine with it being considered largely unrepairable. When you look at the little screws and connectors the only real way to make it more repairable would involve making the watch bigger I would guess; if you offered people that trade-off (will you accept a bigger watch with the added benefit that it's easy to repair) then I'm betting most would say no way. If you reduced the use of glue then almost certainly would no longer be waterproof. It's kind of a modern miracle that they can be assembled in large numbers in the first place