GPS Issue

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, recently purchased my Series 2 and earlier on brought it out on my very first test on the GPS capability. I went for a bike ride and opened the workout app and selected 'outdoor cycle' but under 'no goal'. The watch measures elapsed time and heart rate but the speed and mileage are all '---'.

I got back and checked all my settings and location services is always turned on, motion calibration and distance on the phone is also turned on.

Is there anything I missed?

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like you had everything set correctly. Personally I don't use the stock workout app. Maybe try a short walk and see if that works correctly.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Just a quick question. In order for the GPS to kick in, must it not be connected to my phone or not even bringing my phone out?

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
OK I tested outdoor walk just now without connecting to my phone and the distance did run. So does that mean the watch's GPS is working?

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes. If you have both devices with you, the phone's GPS is used. If you go to Airplane mode or leave the phone behind, the Watches GPS is used.

Thanks for the tip! From what the Apple rep told me yesterday when I told him the speed and distance from the outdoor cycle always shows as ---- , he said doesn't matter if the watch is connected to the phone or not, but actually my watch was connected to the phone then.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Glad to hear your watch is working correctly. :yes:

Thanks. Earlier on tested the outdoor walk mode with airplane mode turned on on the watch, distance is shown after a few mins. Have yet to test outdoor cycle with the speed and distance, but prior to that on my way home from work, I took a train and tested but still shows nothing. Not sure if it could be tested this way.