Can anyone tell me where I can download a white (working) face like these? TIA
    05-11-2017 10:56 PM
    For Apple Watch? You can't. You can have white hands, but not 3rd party faces, other than Hermes, and Nike for their watch models
    05-11-2017 11:44 PM
    So Apple doesn't have a white face in any of their choices to download? That's disappointing. A white face with a nice brown leather strap would look nice.
    05-11-2017 11:55 PM
    The chronograph face can be white. Not completely white, but a white round face within a black rectangle.

Apple Watch White Face-fullsizeoutput_45c5.jpeg
    05-12-2017 06:06 AM
    ...or, you could take a photo that is just a white background, make it a favorite photo, and then add it as a photo face. Like this:

Apple Watch White Face-fullsizeoutput_45c9.jpeg
    Attached Thumbnails Apple Watch White Face-fullsizeoutput_45c8.jpeg  
    05-12-2017 06:20 AM
    It might be possible with a jailbreak. I saw someone putting the Hermes face on a regular Series 2 somehow but it required jailbreaking.
    05-12-2017 08:26 AM
    One last thing: the Apple Watch has an OLED display, and OLED displays do theoretically burn less power overall when they have more black on the display than white. I say theoretically because my experience with an Android phone with an OLED display is that I saw no measurable difference when I tried to make the apps on that phone as black as I could vs. using those apps with mostly white or non-black backgrounds.

So, it'd be interesting to see if a pure white face like that affected the Apple Watch battery life in a measurable way.
    Snoweagle likes this.
    05-12-2017 10:20 AM
    One last thing: the Apple Watch has an OLED display, and OLED displays do theoretically burn less power overall when they have more black on the display than white.
    This isn't a matter of theory. It is fact. To 'generate' black, current to OLEDs is shut off. No current, not color, just black. Any color you see, including any of the 50 shades of gray, is the result of OLEDs using current. Black is off, anything else is on. This is why we won't see an Always On mode anytime soon. It just uses too much battery.

The best way for a Watch wearer to test this is is to use the Photo Watch face with an all white 'pic' and the same with an all black pic. Charge the Watch for the same amount of time and use it the same way for a couple of days with each face, keeping charge times the same for both modes.

There will still be some variables in this non-scientific testing. It would be fairly easy if there were an always on mode or an app that allowed the black and the white Photo faces to stay on.

The OP's pics won't happen on an Apple Watch for the above reason. Also the Cartier Watch face would be a trademark violation unless Apple paid a licensing fee and that/those will be few and far between. I don't know if they're paying Hermès a fee or if that's part of the whole 'buy an Hermès Watch' campaign.

I wish Apple would offer some very upscale Watch faces through the App Store or Watch App. I'd settle (for the time being) to have the hands from the Simple Watch face with our choice of Achievement badges. And rectangular Watch faces!
    05-12-2017 03:47 PM
    This isn't a matter of theory. It is fact. To 'generate' black, current to OLEDs is shut off. No current, not color, just black. Any color you see, including any of the 50 shades of gray, is the result of OLEDs using current. Black is off, anything else is on. This is why we won't see an Always On mode anytime soon. It just uses too much battery.
    As I said, on an Android phone, changing as many apps as possible to black background - I saw no measurable difference. Maybe I'll try this with the watch a few days next week with that photo face I showed above, but since it's impossible to determine how long the display was lit, I'm not sure that any results will be meaningful. But if I see the battery at 60% rather than 80%, that'll be significant.

I think that they could do an something like an always on with a face without seconds. Maybe that used something similar to the Moto X "breathing" that showed notifications with a pulsing on/off display?
    05-12-2017 05:01 PM
    As I said, on an Android phone, changing as many apps as possible to black background - I saw no measurable difference.
    I saw that. You didn't define your specific testing methodology so that's why I suggested doing this for a couple of days. Actually, it would probably be more accurate to use each mode for several days. But you're testing isn't relevant to an always on display.

The net result is an always on display just won't work with the Apple Watch at this point. It's constantly sucking juice for every pixel that's showing color.

There will need to be:

1) a breakthrough in battery technology or
    2) a bigger battery.

And there's the possibility of OLED burn-in when used in an always on display. Super AMOLED should be pretty resistant, but I think there would be problems with Apple's current choice.

Otherwise Apple would have to abandon OLED and use similar tech to the Gear (transreflective LCD?) or Pebble, and I doubt that would happen.
    05-12-2017 05:44 PM
    Very informal testing: using my watch with a completely white face (on the photo face) for a full day, the watch did not use any more battery than it does when I use the utility or activity watch faces.
    05-15-2017 03:55 PM