May 11, 2017
Visit site
I currently have the following devices:
• iPhone 5: 16 GB, At&t
• iPad Pro9.7: 256 GB, At&t
• Fitbit Charge HR: Currently damaged, but to be replaced under warranty

I would like to get….
• New iPhone
• An Apple Watch (Series 2)....unless the three comes out by the time i finalize :)
• Replacement Fitbit

About getting an Apple Watch:
Since my phone is so old, I’m thinking I need to get a new phone before I get an Apple watch. The issue here is that I am trying to wait it out to see what the next new phone will be….
Keeping that in mind, the Apple watch will most likely be the last item that I get from the three.

Also, my understanding is that the watch cannot be connected to the ipad, otherwise i wouldn't have to wait for a new phone. (pls correct me if i'm wrong)

Fitbit and Apple Watch
I know that the Apple Watch can pretty much track many of the same things that the fitbit does, but I really cannot see myself sleeping with an Apple Watch like I do with the fitbit….plus there’s the issue with charging the watch itself, which I’m guessing would need to be done about every other night….
My plan is to use the fitbit as more of a tracker and the watch as well more of a ‘smartwatch’. (I do like that circles feature though)

I’ve narrowed down my choices for the replacement fitbit to the Charge HR2 or Alta HR
• Fitbit Charge HR2 - I like all the features, but I’m not sure I’d want to wear this while wearing the Apple watch.
• Fitbit Alta HR – I like this one as it’s smaller and looks more like jewelry, downside is that it doesn’t have the Cardio and floors climbed features that the Charge does…..

I need to order the replacement fitbit soon as the warranty expires next month.

Does anyone have both a Fitbit and an Apple Watch, if so which ones and how to you use them?

Any other inputs, advice is much appreciated!

Last edited:

bmhillegass87

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi njgirl_toNC!

I'll try to loop in some of my team members on this one! Its a constant point of discussion in our general chat on Slack :).

I think you'll hear some good info! Stay tuned!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I know there are plenty of people who use both. Myself, I can't use Fitbit because their rubber, it really irritates my skin. Fitbit is probably going to be a little more accurate on the fitness side, however, the Apple Watch does a pretty good job, I use mine for fitness all the time. Mostly just the activity app. I also never use my Apple Watch for sleep tracking, I use Sleep Cycle alarm clock for that. I also charge my Apple Watch every night, if you're running workouts on the Apple Watch it's going to be pretty heavy on the battery usage. Hopefully some others who use both can give you more detailed answers.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't have an Apple Watch but I'm a little bit of a Fitbit junkie. I REALLY like the Charge HR 2. It's my favorite by far. My husband bought me a really nice Bulova watch and I couldn't see wearing the HR 2 or Alta with it. I picked up a bangle and a Flex 2 to solve that problem. So my charge is my workout device and the Flex in the bangle is my "dress up" device. Don't know if this helps but it's an idea.
FYI with Mother's Day around the corner Fitbits are on sale.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought a Fitbit Blaze (keep in mind that they're on sale right now for Mother's Day at Best Buy and I believe Verizon Wireless as well!) and it has sufficiently talked me out of buying an Apple Watch. Why?

- 5-6 days of battery life, working out or daily usage doesn't murder the battery at all. I bought it on the 30th of April and have only charged it twice, and charging is 2 hours and you're back in business.
- Sleep tracking
- The screen is big and beautiful
- I can check text messages, and answer my phone from it, but again have to default back to the iPhone to engage in actual activity, which I don't mind.
- the vibration for alerts is pretty nice
- the FitBit app and the level of customization for the Blaze from the app is pretty generous considering what I was initially expecting

You didn't really explain what you wanted the Apple Watch for, so I can't exactly talk you out of it, or encourage either way. I'll leave that to my associates. But if you're looking for something to get you through, and track your sleep etc until the Apple Watch 3, I'd HEARTILY recommend the Fitbit Blaze. I'm having an awesome experience with it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have never had a Fitbit, but do have an Apple Watch. Just a few comments:

Also, my understanding is that the watch cannot be connected to the ipad, otherwise i wouldn't have to wait for a new phone. (pls correct me if i'm wrong)

Nope, unless iOS 11 changes this, the Apple Watch pairs only with an iPhone. However, it will pair with an iPhone 5, FWIW.

I know that the Apple Watch can pretty much track many of the same things that the fitbit does, but I really cannot see myself sleeping with an Apple Watch like I do with the fitbit….plus there’s the issue with charging the watch itself, which I’m guessing would need to be done about every other night….
My plan is to use the fitbit as more of a tracker and the watch as well more of a ‘smartwatch’. (I do like that circles feature though)

Not that I disagree with that strategy, but I do sleep with my Apple Watch Series 2, using a third party app to track sleep stats. I charge my watch while I shower in the morning and when I wash up at night before I go to bed. My watch is almost always between 80 and 100% charge. Stealing just a couple of 15 to 30 minute charge periods per day will keep the watch (again, a series 2) very well charged, at least in my experience.

My suspicion is that at some point watchOS will include sleep tracking as a native app or service, but I guess we'll see. Still, a Fitbit may be better for sleep tracking anyway...

njgirl_toNC

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for the good info thus far! @bmhillegass87, good looking out!
@wenrob i was actually looking at the Flex 2 for the same reason....Drats now it's back on my list, this may be the right move for me.
@MizWylie, my husband is planning on getting that one to replace his charge hr and i agree it looks pretty nice....i've pretty much written it off b/c i know i want the watch. I just need to figure out when.

njgirl_toNC

May 11, 2017
Visit site
@doogald Maybe i'm just used to my old iphone, but it would be nice to have the option to pair w/ the ipad.
If you are able to sleep with the watch on, it must be comfortable...which band do you have?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have both a Fitbit and an Apple Watch, if so which ones and how to you use them?

I have Apple Watches and a Fitbit Flex 2. The only reason I have the Fitbit is because of Fitbit friends. I track weight with it, but not sleep. I encourage you to consider the Flex 2. It's cheaper and waterproof. The others you mentioned have features you won't need (display notifications, heart rate monitor) if you have an Apple Watch.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for the good info thus far! @bmhillegass87, good looking out!
@wenrob i was actually looking at the Flex 2 for the same reason....Drats now it's back on my list, this may be the right move for me.
@MizWylie, my husband is planning on getting that one to replace his charge hr and i agree it looks pretty nice....i've pretty much written it off b/c i know i want the watch. I just need to figure out when.

Definitely a good buy. I have high hopes for the Blaze 2

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
@doogald Maybe i'm just used to my old iphone, but it would be nice to have the option to pair w/ the ipad.
If you are able to sleep with the watch on, it must be comfortable...which band do you have?

For the first few months, I wore the sport band. Last week I bought a woven nylon, and now I wear that one most of the time. I find it comfortable. The AW2 is not that heavy, and the bands aren't, either.

I've always worn a watch to bed - I'm nearsighted, and can't see a clock unless it's really large or close, so I just look at my watch if (well, when, these days) I wake up at night.

njgirl_toNC

May 11, 2017
Visit site
I just ordered the Fitbit Charge 2! I was able to get it on a discount due to the warranty on my current fitbit.
My plan is to use that until i get the AW. I am also thinking about picking up a Flex 2 as well since it's on sale. This way i can use that with the Apple watch later on.....now I just need to figure out my phone situation....

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I am an avid Fitbit user and just purchased the AW series 2. I have the Alta hr and wear both at the same time. I love both my Fitbit and my AW.