Silver or Space Grey

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Bit the bullet and bought one a couple of weeks ago, love it. Sold my gold aluminum S2 and won't ever look back.

Problem is now that when new versions come out I'm going to always want stainless.

Yep. I don't even want to buy the first one bc I upgrade so frequently. I don't want to have to "downgrade" back to an aluminum model and be sad.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Silver is next on the list. All the other bases are covered except for Rose Gold and I don't care for it.

I personally like the Silver view it as an actual style choice where to me Space Gray is almost the matte black of the watch world, almost as though you're avoiding fashion. Almost but not quite.

My iPod (Classic), phone, and one Watch are Space Gray and I like them. When it came to getting a Macbook, I chose gold because I liked Apple's version of it, and I was cool with SG. So I'm looking forward to getting a Silver Watch.

This $70 S2/Nike sale will be over before it's time for me to pull the trigger, but if there's one more after that— Boom! I'd be tempted to forego a Nike+ for the moment if Target had a $70 Off sale in S2s. That Target card is burning a hole in my wallet.

Decisions! All this pondering does save me money on occasion. :laughing:

Just an FYI, Target has the sale again. My wife bought me one for an Anniversary/Birthday present. She picked the gray, but I like both the silver and gray equally.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
ust out of curiousity, why would you not consider a regular Series 2?

1) I already have one.

2) When I get a Nike+, the first S2 will be superfluous. But I already have it.

3) The only significant differences between a 'regular' Series 2 and a Series 1 are the waterproofness, and the GPS. I don't need the waterproofness at all. The GPS only tracks your run and I don't need that. Were I able to use the GPS as I use it in/on the phone, I might pay the extra $100. The extra screen brightness— I have an S2 and am not at all impress with the 1000nits. Sapphire crystal— only on the Stainless and Ceramic, not on the Aluminum Watch.

In fact, the only thing about the 'regular' S1 that's of interest to me is the larger battery. If either swimming (pool) or a real GPS were on the table, those plus the battery would get my money.

As it stands, the S1 is the better value for me over a 'regular' S2.

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I got a space grey, but wish I had gone for silver or I like the black! Just as you say a lot of bands don't look as good as they do on other colours ... next watch won't be space grey (feels odd as everything Apple I own is space grey)

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I guess I didn't consider that you would be buying either the S1 or S2 if you already had anything except for the original watch.

The difference in price between the S1 and S2 at target is only $30 right now. I would have been ok with the S1, but wife got me the S2, and having the extra water protection is a good thing for a watch in my opinion.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The difference in price between the S1 and S2 at target is only $30 right now.

True, but the difference was much greater when they had the S1 on sale and the S2 wasn't. The main thing is I don't want to pay MSRP for the S1 so $30 over for that for the S2 doesn't entice me.

Of course at this point, I may as well wait to see if there's an S3 this fall and if it's something that attracts me more than an S1 or Nike+ on sale.

Unless you have a Stainless Steel AWS2, the case and crystal (aluminum and Ion-X) are the same for the S1 and 2. The increased water resistance will be handy for some, but it's a non-starter for me.

But having a wife that went for the S2 trumps (sorry) all that. Congratulations on both counts!

sq018

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I just bought GPS series 3 space gray with gray band one hour ago. I also try the silver version at apple store. Space gray looks nicer imo.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods