Round vs Rectangle Apple Watch Display

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
We've been hearing for some time that users (well some, anyway) have wanted a ROUND display on their Apple Watch.

Do you think a) that'll ever happen? and b) if a round variant was available, would you buy it?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
We've been hearing for some time that users (well some, anyway) have wanted a ROUND display on their Apple Watch.

Do you think a) that'll ever happen?

With Apple, anything can happen, but I think that they have been pretty clear in the past that it is their belief that information is most efficiently displayed on a rectangular display. So, I won't be surprised either way.

b) if a round variant was available, would you buy it?

If a round variant was available with AW2, I would have considered it, and may probably have bought it. At this point, though, I won't consider another Apple Watch until this one no longer works, it is no longer supported by whatever version of iOS I am using, or the battery life doesn't get me through a full day. I'm the type to try to buy high end when it's available and hold it for as long as possible.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Here's the way I see it. A timepiece should be round, like a standard clock. A smart watch, is better off with a more rectangular design for information display.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
James Falconer said:
Me! Me! I want a round AW, and with the option of a SQUARE display! :rofl:

James Falconer said:
a) that'll ever happen?
I'm very sure Apple has already prototyped one or more before the AW ever saw daylight. (Anybody for a solar power augmented AW?) Apple knows prototypes and they're not afraid to make them.

While rectangle is a more efficient way of displaying data, it would be very narrow minded to believe a round watch couldn't be a acceptable option for a lot of users.

I'd venture that it will be awhile before Apple tries to market a round Watch, but I won't put money on it. So far, none of the competitors round watches have any semblance of elegance, to my eye. Some are nice looking, but not elegant. That's historically been an Apple hallmark of just about every Apple product. (Yes, they've had some misses.)

Those round watches seem to sell well enough, so they must offer some value.

James Falconer said:
b) if a round variant was available, would you buy it?
It's tough to commit, sight unseen. I'd need copious quantities of excessive disposable, flushable income to do so at this point. But I'd absolutely consider it. I want a round AW and would be largely predisposed to getting one.

BUT— I'd much rather see some beautiful, elegant rectangular Watch faces before seeing a round Watch.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I love the current shape of the Watch but I am not anti-round shape.
If the new watch warrants an upgrade, I'd buy it without hesitation about the shape.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Here's the way I see it. A timepiece should be round, like a standard clock. A smart watch, is better off with a more rectangular design for information display.
I agree with this viewpoint.

I prefer round watch faces but when I look at the info on display on my AW face (time, date, activity rings, weather (as text), I'm not sure it would all fit on a round face without the display being like having a dinner plate on my wrist. If Apple sprung a round AW on us there'd have to be MANY other improvements for me to buy one.

That said I don't think we'll see a round AW any time soon. I doubt it's worth the effort for the return it would bring. For the time being there's plenty that can be done with current shape that would have current users upgrade and attract new users as well

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

To me, saying a watch should be round is like saying a TV should be square (or 4:3 to be precise). It's a digital world.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
It is interesting that some stock AW apps - the Activity app (rings), the weather app - display data in a circular form. I almost wonder if Apple was testing a round version at some point.

DFormenobel

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Round watches are meh to me. I can understand the admiration for the craftsmanship of the luxury modern mechanical watches, but it's not my thing.
As far as I'm concerned watches are only round because they are descended from medieval tech mechanized sundials. Round smartwatches remind me of quartz clocks with a pendulum, or one of those early automobiles wit a fake horse head attached to the front.

mrkeynes

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Hmm a round Watch would be interesting
But the rectangular Apple Watch has definitely grown on me. I might not buy a round Apple Watch unless it's beautiful, but Apple usually make beautiful products, so I'd have to see it in order to decide

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711