Round vs Rectangle Apple Watch Display

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Frankly I dont see them doing a round display simply because square is different. Most standard watches and even Android watches are round and blend in but I can clearly identify an apple watch on anyone. And we know apple loves that brand recognition.they don't want to blend in to the crowd they want to be the crowd.

I don't know about being the crowd, given their pricing, but this is probably the biggest reason we wouldn't see a round Apple Watch— brand recognition. I've said it several times before— Apple is going for a more elegant look so the rectangular Watch is a natural. It stands out on two levels, both of them reinforcing traditional Apple edicts.

I still want to see a round Watch and think Apple could make one that meets their standards. Just as they make more than one category of notebook or desktop computer, they could do so with the Watches. My feeling is that it will happen once the Watch obtains sufficient popularity. That will take some time. And if it doesn't happen, well, we'll always have rectangular.

SleepyTheDon

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have always been a round watch face guy & never saw the point in a rectangle until AWS2 which by the way still hasn't totally sold me but It is functional. I think deep down Id be happy with a 44mm AW but I seriously doubt Apple cares what I want haha

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Maybe Apple was channeling the Pebble Watch, which started out rectangular.
pebble.jpg

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Watches were rectangular long before the Pebble, so if Apple were to have channeled anything (which they didn't have to) it would have been everything not to do with a smartwatch.

I owned a Pebble and couldn't wait to shelve it when the AW came out.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The 50 Shades of wOS4 video from 9t5Mac shows that a round watch doesn't cripple its ability to function as a smartwatch, albeit without some compromise.

Specifically, wOS4's optional list view of apps shows that text could easily be manipulated to be easily readable as you scroll through it. Very nice. I hope that comes to pass on an Apple round Watch.

Rodzp

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I have tried both round (Android) and now the rectangular Apple Watch.
If Apple does bring out a round option I hope they keep the current form factor. I used to think the Apple Watch looked a little odd, but I prefer how it displays data. Either way it doesn't matter to me I will keep what I have until it stops working.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Having a Samsung (round) and the Apple, I actually like both but prefer the Apple. It feels lighter in weight and I like the shape on my wrist. I have small wrists. My original Samsung was also rectangular and loved it. But when I went with the standalone Samsung it was only offered in the round. Not as pretty but I liked it ok. But am loving the Apple . I should wear my Samsung because it works with my iPhone...it was the reason I made the switch because it crossed platform, but it feels heavy now. LOL.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I've always traditionally had a round watch but this is my first smartwatch so I prefer the current rectangle shape for displaying info only. I don't think I'd be opposed to a round smartwatch though.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2