Rectangular may not be the most popular, however it matches the shape of an arm better
    I'd say that's pretty fast and loose definition of 'match' and that 'matches' is more subjective than objective.

Great question. I previously owned the Motorola 360 and I round display wasn't very appealing in my opinion. (Given to me as a gift) At times letters from text messages were missing and or cut off.
    And that's the problem with and result of poor implementation. There are compromises to be may when making any product, but that's a bad one. The OS could easily be written to wrap words and lines of text to shape themselves accordingly when scrolled up or down a round shape. It only takes work.

I almost wonder if Apple was testing a round version at some point.
    I'd bet money that they've done a prototype or two. For Apple's first product and being 'late' to the game as haters like to say, they had to offer something the competition didn't have so as not to be a 'me too' knock-off. One thing was the look— a rectangle. The other was efficiency as a selling point.

Now that that the Watch is gaining some traction, a different model could be successful. Just as there are different categories of Macs and MacBooks, there could be more than one for Watches. It doesn't have to be one or the other. But I agree that it won't be soon. If and when there is, I'll be checking it out.
    04-26-2017 10:13 PM
    Mechanical clocks and watches are round for the mechanisms. There is no reason for the Apple Watch, with its square display, to offer so many round watch faces. They should offer watch faces that take advantage of the square display. Also, the display of the Apple Watch should be(/stay) square so that it can be used by other apps on the watch.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    04-27-2017 08:54 AM
    For watches, the mechanisms are shaped for the shape of watch. You want to design a rectangular watch, you'll use or design a rectangular mechanism to fit. The gears are round, but other than that the movement shape is subject to the shape of the watch.

They should offer watch faces that take advantage of the square display.
    I've been saying this since the Watch first shipped. It's only a guess, but I bet that Apple has a deal with Hermès not to use any rectangular faces for some time, similar to giving ATT the five-year exclusive on the iPhone. But the continual parade of specifically round faces is getting boring. A round face does make room for more complications than a rectangular face, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

If Apple were to make a round Watch, and they should, no doubt most devs would design a separate app especially for the round Watches, and justifiably, sell it as a separate app. No reason it couldn't, and more importantly— shouldn't be done.
    04-27-2017 05:25 PM
    Mechanical clocks and watches are round for the mechanisms. There is no reason for the Apple Watch, with its square display, to offer so many round watch faces. They should offer watch faces that take advantage of the square display. Also, the display of the Apple Watch should be(/stay) square so that it can be used by other apps on the watch.
    That's a good point. I wish they would offer more faces in general. There really aren't many faces overall, which is disappointing.
    04-27-2017 06:30 PM
    I've given this thought for some time and annoyed I don't see the right answer here. Howling into the wind, there's a logical and truthful reason why the Apple Watch is square and why a circular display would be the incorrect decision. The reason people associate watches with circles is because they are small wearable clocks. This technology and machines have traditionally been circular to accommodate the visual communication of time displayed by mechanical hands in a circle. That wouldn't be best communicated with a square, or a rectangle, or a triangle or whatever shape you please. So clocks thus watches are round.

The Apple Watch is not a clock... It is a computer. There is a difference. This technology and machine have traditionally displayed digital data. This could be the time, or weather, or the sports score. This digital data is best displayed in a square display as it may contain not only the time but text and visual icons. When displayed in a circle, and I'm sure Apple's prototyped this to death, this digital data appears to be cut-off or partially show or shrinking in the vertical space. This does not best communicate this digital data. The very idea of a circular smartwatch display is contradictory to the use it provides.

You may like or prefer a circular display, and okay whatever it's just smartwatches, but if you're designing and making one to be the absolute best, which Apple does, it would be square.
    04-27-2017 10:09 PM
    I think for a smartwatch with fitness functionality a round face is fine. For content-rich apps it feels more intuitive to go for a square face. Maybe that's just because it's how it's always been done but then again that's probably for a reason.
    04-27-2017 11:22 PM
    Maybe that's just because it's how it's always been done but then again that's probably for a reason.
    Times and style change. Advances in technology can facilitate changes in style there weren't previously possible. Just because that's the way it's always been doesn't always mean that's the way it always has to be.

Very few things in life are the best for everybody. Fashion and utility are the same in that respect. I can see Apple producing a round Watch down the road, when Jony can say 'We took what's typically been a less efficient shape for text and made it better than it was. We have the technology...'

But they still have work to do on the current Watches, and while I think they're selling better than most people and analysts give them credit, I don't think they're selling as well as Apple would like.

it would be square.
    This just in— neither the Watch or it's display are square(s). I guess it's easier to type.

I wonder what prompted Apple's design decision to eschew their far more efficient and traditional use of square shaped app icons on the Watch's Home screen for round ones.
    AlienTrailer likes this.
    04-28-2017 07:40 AM
    Not all watch faces are historically round. Especially, Casio calculator watches.
    04-28-2017 09:49 AM
    Not all watch faces are historically round. Especially, Casio calculator watches.
    I used to think those Casio calculator watches were awesome!
    scruffypig likes this.
    04-28-2017 09:56 AM
    All the Casio calculator watches I had were square or rectangular. In fact I probably still have one in a drawer somewhere.

Whether historically or traditionally, I'd wager that most watches had a face that was similar in shape to the case of the watch. Where or not triangular or other non-round or non-square/triangular watch faces follows suit. I'd also wager that historically there have been more round watches produced than non-round ones. FWTMBWIA.
    04-29-2017 04:14 AM
    I used to think those Casio calculator watches were awesome!
    Me, too, until the resin bands start rotting off them. I don't think I had one with a metal band.
    eyecrispy and scruffypig like this.
    04-29-2017 04:16 AM
    If done right, a round Watch could work well. I really liked my Samsung S2 when I had it. I really liked the way you turn the bezel to select things. I prefer that to the Digital Crown in some ways. Both work though. Both displays have their pluses and minuses.
    04-30-2017 08:43 AM
    . I really liked the way you turn the bezel to select things.
    I've always used the bezel on my dive watches as a timer. This would be a very quick and efficient way to set a timer, especially if you were somewhere that invoking Siri would be gauche. Press the bezel to select the Timer function, spins the dial for the interval, press the bezel again to start the countdown. Or have a complication on the Watch face to select Timer and spin the bezel, similar to turning the crown. No reason at all that Apple couldn't or shouldn't make a round Watch.
    05-01-2017 06:40 AM
    All the Casio calculator watches I had were square or rectangular. In fact I probably still have one in a drawer somewhere.

Whether historically or traditionally, I'd wager that most watches had a face that was similar in shape to the case of the watch. Where or not triangular or other non-round or non-square/triangular watch faces follows suit. I'd also wager that historically there have been more round watches produced than non-round ones. FWTMBWIA.
    My first Seiko watch was rectangular. There are a lot of dress watches that are rectangular, though I agree that most watches produced are round, to match the circular dial of the clock.
    05-01-2017 08:28 PM
    Frankly I dont see them doing a round display simply because square is different. Most standard watches and even Android watches are round and blend in but I can clearly identify an apple watch on anyone. And we know apple loves that brand recognition.they don't want to blend in to the crowd they want to be the crowd.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    05-02-2017 10:53 PM
    Frankly I dont see them doing a round display simply because square is different. Most standard watches and even Android watches are round and blend in but I can clearly identify an apple watch on anyone. And we know apple loves that brand recognition.they don't want to blend in to the crowd they want to be the crowd.
    I don't know about being the crowd, given their pricing, but this is probably the biggest reason we wouldn't see a round Apple Watch— brand recognition. I've said it several times before— Apple is going for a more elegant look so the rectangular Watch is a natural. It stands out on two levels, both of them reinforcing traditional Apple edicts.

I still want to see a round Watch and think Apple could make one that meets their standards. Just as they make more than one category of notebook or desktop computer, they could do so with the Watches. My feeling is that it will happen once the Watch obtains sufficient popularity. That will take some time. And if it doesn't happen, well, we'll always have rectangular.
    05-03-2017 09:09 AM
    I have always been a round watch face guy & never saw the point in a rectangle until AWS2 which by the way still hasn't totally sold me but It is functional. I think deep down Id be happy with a 44mm AW but I seriously doubt Apple cares what I want haha
    05-10-2017 09:42 PM
    Maybe Apple was channeling the Pebble Watch, which started out rectangular.
    05-11-2017 08:01 AM
    Watches were rectangular long before the Pebble, so if Apple were to have channeled anything (which they didn't have to) it would have been everything not to do with a smartwatch.

I owned a Pebble and couldn't wait to shelve it when the AW came out.
    scruffypig likes this.
    05-12-2017 02:59 PM
    Variety is always a good thing and apple has the cash flow to easily make it happen
    05-12-2017 08:17 PM
    The 50 Shades of wOS4 video from 9t5Mac shows that a round watch doesn't cripple its ability to function as a smartwatch, albeit without some compromise.

Specifically, wOS4's optional list view of apps shows that text could easily be manipulated to be easily readable as you scroll through it. Very nice. I hope that comes to pass on an Apple round Watch.
    06-12-2017 05:35 AM
    I have tried both round (Android) and now the rectangular Apple Watch.
    If Apple does bring out a round option I hope they keep the current form factor. I used to think the Apple Watch looked a little odd, but I prefer how it displays data. Either way it doesn't matter to me I will keep what I have until it stops working.
    06-16-2017 04:24 AM
47 12