Using Watch overseas for time keeping

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
It will if your phone can connect to the local cell service or to WIFI. If it's in airplane mode, then no it won't change.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
It will if your phone can connect to the local cell service or to WIFI. If it's in airplane mode, then no it won't change.

I'll have cellular data turned off overseas but I'll only have airplane mode turned on on the flight. Maybe I'll change the time on my iPhone right before the plane pushes back.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'll have cellular data turned off overseas but I'll only have airplane mode turned on on the flight. Maybe I'll change the time on my iPhone right before the plane pushes back.

What you can do after you land is turn cell data and airplane mode off. That way your phone and watch will be connected and then any time you have wifi, it will update the time, weather, etc. BTW, be aware that putting the phone in airplane mode automatically puts the watch in airplane mode. When you then want to turn off airplane mode, you have to do it for both the phone and the watch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
BTW, be aware that putting the phone in airplane mode automatically puts the watch in airplane mode. When you then want to turn off airplane mode, you have to do it for both the phone and the watch.
That's only an issue if you turn on the watch setting to mirror the iPhone for Airplane Mode (on the iPhone watch app, settings / general / airplane mode). I turned that setting off for this reason.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
That's only an issue if you turn on the watch setting to mirror the iPhone for Airplane Mode (on the iPhone watch app, settings / general / airplane mode). I turned that setting off for this reason.

Thanks! I didn't know about that setting.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I let it change to the local time, and then added a world time complication that showed me the time back at home (I was in San Francisco and my home is Melbourne).

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I let it change to the local time, and then added a world time complication that showed me the time back at home (I was in San Francisco and my home is Melbourne).

I have complications showing sunrise/sunset for my current location and two complications for the battery percentage.

anon(631408)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I to have a question about the watch overseas. If I have my watch mirror the iphone and it is in Airplane mode then I will not get the local time adjustment to the watch but if I turned Wifi on and still had Airplane mode turned on will the time adjust? Also, I would assume if I turn bluetooth off then my phone and watch will not sync anyway until I turn bluetooth back on, right? Then if I wanted to capture my exercise data (steps for the day) then I would need to turn bluetooth back on to get the iphone to sync with the watch. I think I know the answers but thought I would put them out there. I am really trying to make sure I don't get any extra data charges from AT&T or buy their $10 a day international plan. I can do everything through wifi but I want to make sure I remember what needs to be turned off and then back on without accidentally turning cellular/data back on.

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Enabling wifi in itself will not update the clock. Connection with wifi to internet will.

Enabling wifi will also connect your Apple Watch to your iPhone, even if BT is disabled.
Keeping your Apple Watch in airplane mode will prevent this.

Disable Data Roaming and keep everything on. Unless you explicitly enable Data Roaming, your iPhone will not use any mobile data.

anon(631408)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
So if I disable data roaming then I really don't have to worry about location services, app refresh or any thing else that might use data? or would it be safe just to keep Airplane mode turned on and when at the hotel turn wifi on?

Thanks for the info. This helps a lot.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have been abroad a lot of times and never have I been charged while Data Roaming was disabled in Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Data Roaming.

If you're planning to stay longer than 10 days, you could even go and get a prepaid SIM card from a local carrier. I visit Turkey twice a year and use a SIM card of a Turkish carrier while there. Saves me the time to look for a wifi.

Those prepaid SIM cards are easy to get at airports.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2