Heart Rate Monitor Issues

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have an Apple Watch Series 2 Nike+, and have one complaint about it. The heart rate does not register, ever. I will shut down the AW, clean the sensor with a microfiber cloth, and restart it and every time I get a heart rate of 76BPM. After that it will not read my heart rate. I even changed wrists and checked with my Fitbit Charge 2 which read perfectly. So I did the express exchange through Apple and received the new AW today. I am having the exact issue except it is reading 101BPM. Are their known issues with the heart rate monitor on the AWs not reading heart rates?

Last edited:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I haven't heard that there's a problem with AWs of any flavor having major problems with the heart rate. A few members here have mentioned the Watches not being as accurate as their preferred alternative fitness bands.

My iHealth Pulse Oximeter is spot on with my Watches (AWs and AWS2) though the iHealth is not a commercial device. So I don't know how accurate either/both are but they are consistent and close enough for Govt. work (my general minimum standard).

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't heard that there's a problem with AWs of any flavor having major problems with the heart rate. A few members here have mentioned the Watches not being as accurate as their preferred alternative fitness bands.

My iHealth Pulse Oximeter is spot on with my Watches (AWs and AWS2) though the iHealth is not a commercial device. So I don't know how accurate either/both are but they are consistent and close enough for Govt. work (my general minimum standard).

I know that people are saying they're not accurate, but mine won't even read my heart rate.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You might have a defective watch ??????. I would try to reset the watch to factory defaults then repair it before you bring it to Apple though. You never know, sometimes a restore does wonders.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
You can find plenty of comments about HRM accuracy, but you're the first I've seen with this problem. I'm betting defective watch.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
You might have a defective watch 😢. I would try to reset the watch to factory defaults then repair it before you bring it to Apple though. You never know, sometimes a restore does wonders.
I'll try the restore and see how that goes. I restored the previous one and still had the same issue, but I'll try this one too.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
ItnStln511 said:
The last time I was in the apple store the people working the genius bar weren't geniuses.

It happens, but every time I've been to the Bar, they've been very sharp.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Just to follow up, I called Apple today and they're doing an express replacement. Hopefully this will resolve my problem.