Screen protector: yes or no?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm debating wether or not to get a Zagg glass screen protector for the Watch. Is it worth it? I have a screen protector for my iPhone 7 (Belkin Anti Glare). I don't have one for my MacBook Pro and there's a Bodyguardz one on the iPad Air that I gave to my dad.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The Apple Watch screen doesn't really need extra Protection but if you feel more comfortable then by all means apply it

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
To me just depends on how hard you are on them. I bump my arms all the time is seems so if I had an Apple Watch I would get one. My wife's has held up fine without one. I had several scratches on my Garmin vivosmart hr the very first day . I can't really have nice things.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a non-glass Zagg HD on my watch, because the Ion-X glass crystal on the aluminum watch is more scratch-prone than the sapphire crystal on the stainless steel and edition watches. If mine was sapphire, I would not bother. It's not a scratch itself that bothers me - it's that a scratch increases the fragility of the crystal.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice. The Watch I'm getting is the Nike+ 42mm Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black/Volt Nike Sport Band. I think what I'll do is I'll start out without a screen protector and if I feel like I need one further down the road (I plan on keeping the Watch for as long as possible) then I'll get one then.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice. The Watch I'm getting is the Nike+ 42mm Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black/Volt Nike Sport Band. I think what I'll do is I'll start out without a screen protector and if I feel like I need one further down the road (I plan on keeping the Watch for as long as possible) then I'll get one then.

I missed you meant for the watch.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
As I've said before, if I felt I had to have a screen protector and/or case for the watch, I just wouldn't have bought it. Nothing has made me regret that sentiment.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had a protector on either one or my apple watches and the screens have been perfect. I don't know why people put protectors on their AWs considering no one puts protectors on their other watches. To me, it's a bit overboard. But to each his own ...

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't know why people put protectors on their AWs considering no one puts protectors on their other watches.

I don't know why I've never used protection on my Other watches. Oh yeah, it's because there wasn't any.

I never saw screen protection for Watches until I got a Pebble. And really, I assumed getting a crystal (plastic, glass, mineral, or transparent aluminum) dinged up was just the way of life. Some could be polished, most couldn't. I have one high-end watch that I would have protected, had screen protectors been available.

No screen protectors for the time being. Maybe when I do get a scratch the barn door will be closed after the horse has left. So far my luck has held. Here's hoping it continues.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why I've never used protection on my Other watches. Oh yeah, it's because there wasn't any.

I never saw screen protection for Watches until I got a Pebble. And really, I assumed getting a crystal (plastic, glass, mineral, or transparent aluminum) dinged up was just the way of life. Some could be polished, most couldn't. I have one high-end watch that I would have protected, had screen protectors been available.

No screen protectors for the time being. Maybe when I do get a scratch the barn door will be closed after the horse has left. So far my luck has held. Here's hoping it continues.

I don't own any high-end watches, except the AW, which is the most expensive watch I've ever owned. I'm generally careful with my stuff so, so far so good for me as well.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you need a screen protector on any smartwatch, Apple or otherwise. It's going to be secured on your wrist, so why would there be a need for a screen protector?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't think you need a screen protector on any smartwatch, Apple or otherwise. It's going to be secured on your wrist, so why would there be a need for a screen protector?

Many people inadvertently bang their watches against door jambs or other objects and sometimes scratch or damage the crystal. This happens while the watch is secured to their wrist. Other people never do that and never get a scratch. Being secured to their wrist isn't the reason the watch isn't damaged.

I'd posit that most have relatively inexpensive watches as daily drivers and if they get scratched or the crystal is broken, they just get another watch. Not a big deal. A lot of Apple Watch owners or any smartwatch owners may have never had a watch this expensive and just buying another one isn't an option. This is why some people by Apple Care for the watches.

With 'dumb' daily driver watches, most people look at them for just the time or occasionally the date. If you spend a lot of time looking at a smartwatch for texts, weather, notifications, and other data besides the time and date, a scratch or scratches might be a lot more annoying. I don't know about anybody else's smart watch, but I'm glad Apple has taken some steps to reinforce the crystal.

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Many people inadvertently bang their watches against door jambs or other objects and sometimes scratch or damage the crystal. This happens while the watch is secured to their wrist. Other people never do that and never get a scratch. Being secured to their wrist isn't the reason the watch isn't damaged.

I'd posit that most have relatively inexpensive watches as daily drivers and if they get scratched or the crystal is broken, they just get another watch. Not a big deal. A lot of Apple Watch owners or any smartwatch owners may have never had a watch this expensive and just buying another one isn't an option. This is why some people by Apple Care for the watches.

With 'dumb' daily driver watches, most people look at them for just the time or occasionally the date. If you spend a lot of time looking at a smartwatch for texts, weather, notifications, and other data besides the time and date, a scratch or scratches might be a lot more annoying. I don't know about anybody else's smart watch, but I'm glad Apple has taken some steps to reinforce the crystal.

Agreed. Never worried about it on my fossil watches. Was kinda worried about it on my citizen, but I have put that watch the heck and back and it only has 2 tiny scratches on the crystal. I knew my lg watch urbanes crystal would be worse than my citizen so it got a screen protector. I bump my arms into door jambs all the time. Would've have had a nice big scratch on my vivosmart hr yesterday if I didn't put a self healing screen protector on it lol.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My two cents: I have worn watches (many more expensive than my Apple Watch) and I have yet to put a screen protector on any of them. That doesn't change for me just because it's made by Apple and has some additional functionality.

The glass on the Sport model is more susceptible to scratching than the other models. The sapphire crystal on other models actually more likely to shatter before it scratches. As such, a screen protector probably won't be much help on models with sapphire displays.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
The model I'm getting has iOn X Glass. Does this mean that it'll be easy to get scratches?

No. Easier than sapphire glass, but still not all that easy.

See https://www.slashgear.com/apple-watch-scratch-resistance-ion-x-vs-sapphire-glass-27380853/

To put that in perspective, ion-x glass is scratched somewhere between 7 and 8 mohs. The mohs scale goes to 10 (which is diamond.) 7.5 to 8 is about the same as hardened steel. (regular steel is 4-4.5). So, it's possible that rubbing against something metal will scratch it. High end sandpaper may scratch it. But, for the most part, unless you know you'll be encountering those materials and they will rub against the watch crystal, you'll probably be fine.

More about the mohs scale and the hardness of various materials: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Tried a protector on my Series 1 for a while. Once it got to a point where I needed to change it I was done with protectors.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro