I'm taking my son's scout troop freshwater snorkeling at Ginnie Springs, FL in a couple of weeks. I wanted to wear my watch while doing this activity (I want to play with the swim feature!). Does anyone have any experience snorkeling with their watch? I obviously will not be going very deep, and we will be in freshwater. There won't be any high speed pressure put on the watch either.
    Thoughts?
    TIA!
    02-02-2017 01:38 PM
    Go nuts!!! The S2 is swim/waterproof. Make sure to put the watch in swim mode so the screen won't activate while you are snorkeling.
    eyecrispy and edswife1970 like this.
    02-02-2017 04:12 PM
    The S2 is water resistant to 50m, I don't see why there should be a problem.
    02-02-2017 04:21 PM
    The S2 is water resistant to 50m, I don't see why there should be a problem.
    Apologies for being a pedant but the watch is not waterproof to 50m, it is waterproof to the equivalent of 50m of pressure which in practice is a lot less. It is fine for snorkelling as the question asked. The distinction would be important if scuba was being discussed because even though most recreational scuba divers rarely go below 20-25 metres, the equivalent pressure is significantly more
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    02-03-2017 03:26 AM
    Apologies for being a pedant but the watch is not waterproof to 50m, it is waterproof to the equivalent of 50m of pressure which in practice is a lot less. It is fine for snorkelling as the question asked. The distinction would be important if scuba was being discussed because even though most recreational scuba divers rarely go below 20-25 metres, the equivalent pressure is significantly more
    I had no idea there was a difference, thanks for letting me know. Not that it'll affect me, the prospect of spending that long under the water doesn't exactly fill me with excitement.
    02-03-2017 09:22 AM
    I just used mine snorkling on vacation. First time I screwed up and didn't put it in swim mode.. second time I got it right.. still worked just fine so go nuts.. but play with it before you go in for the first time and make sure you goto workouts and open water swim.. then start it .. I forgot to start it.. but it was no worse for wear.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    02-03-2017 04:39 PM
    I have nothing to add but I hope you will post your pictures!
    02-03-2017 06:33 PM
    I had no idea there was a difference, thanks for letting me know. Not that it'll affect me, the prospect of spending that long under the water doesn't exactly fill me with excitement.
    Getting off topic, so apologies but scuba is great and I'd encourage anyone to try it - it's really not scary, there's a different world under the water and it's great to see. Further to what I was saying about equivalent pressure and the like, you generally need a watch that is rated to 200m for it to be safe for scuba (even though as I say you're actually unlikely to be much deeper than about 20m) - I've a attached a gratuitous photo of a turtle I saw in Grenada taken with my GoPro
    Snorkeling?-img_0445.jpg
    02-04-2017 12:08 PM
    Thanks everyone!
    02-06-2017 08:40 AM
    Getting off topic, so apologies but scuba is great and I'd encourage anyone to try it - it's really not scary, there's a different world under the water and it's great to see. Further to what I was saying about equivalent pressure and the like, you generally need a watch that is rated to 200m for it to be safe for scuba (even though as I say you're actually unlikely to be much deeper than about 20m) - I've a attached a gratuitous photo of a turtle I saw in Grenada taken with my GoPro
    Great picture! I've wanted to do it for as long as I can remember but the few times I've had the opportunity I've chickened out. I've been on a glass bottom boat but it's just not the same. Next time I get the chance I need to take it, every single person that talks about it loves it.
    02-06-2017 05:47 PM
    So far the (2) Series 2 and (2) Series 3 watches in our family have been fine with salt water snorkeling and plenty of water exposure. We don't baby them nor do we abuse them. The watches in our family have been activity trackers for an active lifestyle family.

We do rinse them in fresh water as best we can after time in the ocean.
    12-26-2017 08:39 AM
    My Nike+ AW2 has lots of time in the hottub. That's sort of like really shallow snorkeling isn't it?
    12-26-2017 05:15 PM
    I haven’t had the chance to snorkel with my AW, but it is water resistant
    12-26-2017 07:26 PM
    My Nike+ AW2 has lots of time in the hottub. That's sort of like really shallow snorkeling isn't it?
    Maybe there a joke about extremes in there but we better not stress the moderators.

Some have written that the Apple fine print means the 50 meter rating is meaningless but mine just had another hour+ in the ocean and the snorkeling repeated getting it 10-20 ft. deep but nowhere close to the published rating.

The experience has made us even happier with the ownership. Call it addiction or OCD, but my wife and I are no doubt hooked on making sure we close the rings every day that's possible.
    12-26-2017 07:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD