AW2 Nike Apple Music sync issue

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
All my songs won't sync in my playlist to my Nike watch. Yes I have it set for 2Gb and it only syncs like 384Mb. Any way to fix this?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought the sync was not working but then realized it might take longer than expected. A list not synchronized over 45+ min of watch and phone use was synchronized after both spent the night charging.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
It seems to only sync some songs not all. Out of 374 songs it only syncs 88 at 384Mb. Must be some songs on Apple Music are not able to be used on the watch I am guessing.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
374 songs exceeds the capacity of the Watch.

Apple says you can limit playlists to 15, 50, 125, or 250 songs. I understand having an upper limit, but not having the three other limited noted. Not 26, 53, 90, or 212? I don't understand the bit of "you can limit playlists to...".

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
No it can be limited to storage too. It's just only so many songs will sync. There may be some songs that they don't allow to sync. That's the only thing I can think of.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
No it can be limited to storage too.

Yes, of course there's a storage limit.You did say the limit is set to 2G but can only sync 88 of 374 songs at 384MB. I don't know how much storage your 384 songs use, but I assumed it's less than 2G because you chose that as your limit.

You're not going to be able to sync 374 songs even if they're only 1MB each. According to Apple the limit is 250 songs. So storage doesn't seem to be the issue.

This first thing I'd do is restart the Watch and phone. Then I'd limit my play list to 250 songs or less. Then allow a lot of time for syncing. See how that goes.

If that didn't work, I'd check to see if any songs actually made it to the Watch. Then I'd compare that to the playlist to see what syncs and what doesn't.

If syncing is still buggy, I'd call Apple and make them help.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I am leaning towards some songs just cannot be synced to the watch because of the stupid DRM thingy. If I add my songs which I did not want to do because that's why I bought Apple Music it syncs all according to my settings fine.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
jgraves1107 said:
I am leaning towards some songs just cannot be synced to the watch because of the stupid DRM thingy.

Music from iTunes hasn't had DRM for years. But if you happen to have any old purchases which have DRM, it can be removed by burning them to a CD then ripping them back.

If you have music that wasn't sourced from iTunes purchases or ripped from CDs with iTunes, there may be some odd codec giving the sync fits.

Do you have another iDevice to sync that playlist to, an iPad maybe? DRM seems so unlikely.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Music from iTunes hasn't had DRM for years.

Music that you download from the subscription Apple Music streaming service, that you didn't purchase or rip yourself from a CD, does have DRM. I do not sync music with my watch, and do not use the Apple Music streaming service, so I do not know if the watch is not capable of playing these songs, though.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Music that you download from the subscription Apple Music streaming service, that you didn't purchase or rip yourself from a CD, does have DRM.

Ah, I miss that bit about Apple Music and substituted iTunes. As you might guess, I don't use. Makes sense that it's DRMed, that it might not play on the Watch— not so much.

I'm having trouble understanding:

jgraves1107 said:
Must be some songs on Apple Music are not able to be used on the watch I am guessing.

Is that "some songs on Apple Music are not able..." or "some songs, those that are on Apple Music, are not able..."

So apparently Apple Music can't be streamed to the Watch (no cellular radio)? And the phone doesn't handoff Apple Music to the Watch?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Huh. According to this link you should be able to sync an Apple Music playlist to your watch. I'm not sure.

But if that's true, can you make a playlist of both streamed and onboard music for the Watch? Or is it all one or the other, as I infer from the OP's experience?

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Some songs I used from various workout playlist to make one playlist just won't transfer to the watch. Now it may be that it's a drm thing with just some songs. I am going to pull all the songs out and download to my main list and then see if that fixes the issue. If not then I know it's just an issue for the ones that don't sync to AW. They are all on my IP7+ with no issue. I don't stream to the watch, so that's not an issue. This is all using Apple Music so who knows it may be a bug that causes it for the watch sync.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok I see what has happened. If you sync any music to the AW and add to a playlist it only shows the songs that weren't synced as being added. So if you have 20 already synced and change to a new playlist that has the same songs plus 80 more it will say it's syncing 80 instead of 100.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Update. All the music did sync. It only showed the songs that it had to sync that wasn't already on the watch. If you sync a playlist and create a new playlist that has the songs from the first playlist it will only show the number that has to be synced since the others are already on the watch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR