Notifications ... Automatic Display

Sabre Wulf

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
Simple question which the Internet seems not to answer.

I have notifications arriving on my Apple Watch.

What surprises me though is that they are not automatically displayed. The watch display remains inactive. I would like the notification to show without me having to tap the watch (and I do not use wake on raise since it annoyingly turns it on all the time).

Is it even possible?

Thanks.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Is it even possible?

I don't believe it is and do believe it was a conscious choice on Apple's part. This keeps notifications from popping up at inopportune times, such as a notification coming in during an important meeting with bosses, at the movies when nobody wants to see your Watch light up, or when your girlfriend glances at your Watch's displaying an incoming text— a big thinking-of-you heart from your other girlfriend. Or just getting a displayed notification when you can't see your Watch's display (riding a motorcycle, doing chin ups, swimming, etc., and wasting your battery.

I think Apple made a good choice on the part of the user's privacy, consideration of others, and conserving battery life. I also use the Control Center to keep keep the Watch silent 99% of the time.

JustinVV

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I would rather have Apple give me the choice rather than make it for me. The often make the wrong choice. I would like the screen to light up for notifications.

JustinVV

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Why does apple need to make the decision for me to what is inopportune? I am quite capable of doing that myself. There should be a switch for it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
There are only so many options and switches that can be put into a watch OS or any OS before it becomes unwieldy and bloated for the target demographic. Too much choice and the time it takes to create it is wasted when it goes unused by the unwashed masses.

And while you are clearly a superior being you obviously made the wrong choice in getting an Apple Watch and it becomes clearer with your every post that the S3 is the watch for you.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe it is and do believe it was a conscious choice on Apple's part. This keeps notifications from popping up at inopportune times, such as a notification coming in during an important meeting with bosses, at the movies when nobody wants to see your Watch light up, or when your girlfriend glances at your Watch's displaying an incoming text— a big thinking-of-you heart from your other girlfriend. Or just getting a displayed notification when you can't see your Watch's display (riding a motorcycle, doing chin ups, swimming, etc., and wasting your battery.

I think Apple made a good choice on the part of the user's privacy, consideration of others, and conserving battery life. I also use the Control Center to keep keep the Watch silent 99% of the time.

Alerts not so disruptive whether phone, laptop or watch is part of how the watch is growing on me.

I have a crazy alert-filled life via IT admin and then add family plus doing a lot of volunteer work. Just the IT admin part can give me a flood of messages. As an example, alerts for network devices unreachable (network gear, servers, machines) can produce a wave messages and it somehow seems more polite on the watch in some scenarios. I've started having my phone out of site or turned face down upon knowing the watch features more.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Why does apple need to make the decision for me to what is inopportune? I am quite capable of doing that myself. There should be a switch for it.

Perhaps if you shared your frustration with Apple via their feedback form, you might get their attention. Here is a link to the: [URL="https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html#mn_p]Apple Watch Feedback form[/URL]

JustinVV

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
yeah, this sucks, I have added it to the Apple suggestion site. Seems like a no brainer to me, whoever thought this wouldnt be requested hopefully isnt working there any more, as they are so far off the mark it isnt funny.

Just needs to be a toggle.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2