I had a samsung gear 2 neo for 2 and 1/2 years without a scratch on the screen and now within a month of having the AW series 2 I already have a couple of scratches on it. This really upsets me seeing how much I paid for the watch. Shouldn't it be more scratch resistant or am I expecting to much. Luckily I got the apple care.
    applefan4515 likes this.
    12-28-2016 07:40 PM
    Well luck and where you have been is a factor.
    12-28-2016 08:12 PM
    If you have the sports version, it's more susceptible to have scratches on the screen due to the Ion-X glass.

You won't have a problem with the stainless steel sapphire glass.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-28-2016 09:06 PM
    If you have the sports version, it's more susceptible to have scratches on the screen due to the Ion-X glass.

You won't have a problem with the stainless steel sapphire glass.
    I think here or MacRumors somebody had a scratch on the SS Sapphire glass. I have one but it seems to have been the coating or disappeared on me.
    12-28-2016 09:12 PM
    I think here or MacRumors somebody had a scratch on the SS Sapphire glass. I have one but it seems to have been the coating or disappeared on me.
    I have rubbed and knocked the sapphire glass on mine several times against rough surfaces, some quite hard impact but the glass remains intact and scratch-free.
    Spencerdl and tcuprof like this.
    12-29-2016 10:34 AM
    While not scratch-proof, the sapphire crystal is absolutely more scratch resistant that the Ion-X glass. The Ion-X glass is more shatter resistant than the sapphire crystal.

I think you have to go by your own prior experience with watches. Do you tend to scratch your watch crystal? A lot? A little? I don't know what kind of glass the 'Gear 2 Neo' uses. The Ion-X glass is supposed to be strengthened compared to— regular glass? Don't know.

A big problem is that we usually don't know when we've scratched a crystal. We may check the watch or Watch when we give it a really good bump, scrape, or drop. "Arrrrgeh, did I hurt it?" But we don't know the actual, daily threshold for scratching or breaking of either watch crystal.

I've thought about a screen protector for my Sports, but not for the S2. I want to be able to forget it's there, not be reminded of it every time I look at the Watch. No scratches yet, so I'm not in a rush. Let's close the barn door after the horses get out.
    sgchick likes this.
    12-29-2016 11:45 AM
    I agree with those saying it's bad luck rather than an issue with the materials. I've had mine. A couple of months, don't believe in using screen protectors and mine is pristine (so I'll probably smash it into 1000 pieces tomorrow having said that). I'm sure my watch takes it's share of bumps as it only leaves my wrist for charging and sometimes when running.
    12-29-2016 12:56 PM
    I sold my original SS AW over a month ago and just purchased the Aluminum S2 today. I'm going to have to be more careful.
    01-03-2017 08:23 PM
    I've scuffed / scratched / cracked the crystal on almost every watch I've owned so I wasn't surprised when fine scratches started appearing on my SS Apple Watch. I wear my watches on my right wrist so they almost always scrape against the wall if I'm in a tight hallway or something.

That being said however, the fact that the glass is protruding from the body of the Apple Watch doesn't exactly help with resisting scratches or other damage on the screen.
    01-12-2017 03:30 PM
    I've scuffed / scratched / cracked the crystal on almost every watch I've owned .
    And I've not scuffed / scratched/ cracked the crystal on almost every watch I've owned. Either I live in a bubble or you're Evel Knievel. Or both.
    01-12-2017 04:41 PM
    the glass is protruding from the body of the Apple Watch
    Like just about every watch in existence, certainly almost every watch you've owned. What would have helped with your wearing your Watch on your right wrist (assuming you're right handed) and knowing how badly you treat your watches, is a screen protector or a case with a screen protector.
    01-13-2017 04:05 AM
    Not all traditional watches have sapphire crystals. So its not surprising that those that dont and the AW Sport addition scratch easily.

I have banged the face of my sapphire crystal watches and SS AW and came away with nary a scratch. I cant say the same for mineral crystal watches.

Its something to consider when choosing a watch, smart or "dumb".
    duckduckgoose likes this.
    01-15-2017 09:21 AM
    Not all traditional watches have sapphire crystals.
    Indeed. More watches probably use some plastic for their 'crystal' than glass (mineral) when sapphire being the least used, usually found in higher end watches.

In short, glass will scratch sooner that sapphire, and sapphire will break sooner than glass, impacts being equal.

I haven't owned a watch with a plastic crystal since I was a kid. They scratched really easy. Fortunately, the local Bulova watch store would buff them out for free, and the watches looked brand new. While none of my watches have scratches in the crystals that I can see, one of my high enders has a small chip in the edge of the crystal.
    01-16-2017 05:57 PM
    I have 2 watches with sapphire crystals and two others that don't. I am pretty sure my Seiko does not.
    01-16-2017 07:32 PM
    Indyfsufan, I have AppleCare+ for my AW Series 2 as well; however, AppleCare+ does not cover scratches.

My first AWS2 got several scratches (which surprised me because I am careful, and I've never had scratches on my iPhones; but then again, I don't wear my iPhone on my wrist). It ended up being serendipitous in a way that watch OS 3.1.1 bricked my watch and Apple replaced it with a new one because of my AppleCare+. I haven't seen any scratches on the new watch yet, but I'm now more careful because I know it will scratch now.
    01-27-2017 08:57 AM
    No scratches on my Nike+ AW and I've bumped it several times on walls and shelves. I'm not rough with my things but I do knock it on things here and there.
    02-11-2017 11:55 AM
    I don't have any scratches on my screen but a couple of scratches on the anodizing.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    02-11-2017 12:05 PM
    Does anyone know of a display protector for those suffering screen scratches? Those working in harsh environments might benefit, but so far, all the reviews I've seen are dismal.

The protectors are pricey for what they are and they don't stay on the screen long. The latter bit is a big problem.

My kit is in good shape, but if I ever scratched the display, I'd be pretty paranoid moving forward.
    02-12-2017 04:24 AM
    I went to a Zagg kiosk in the local mall and they installed an HD protector on my AW2. It's been on for 3 weeks now. No bubbles, no peeling. The guy there had a sheet of HD - he cut a custom size from a sheet on a device that looked like a printer and installed as I watched.
    02-12-2017 11:42 AM
    My screen seems ok, and it's taken quite a few knocks and dings. No screen protector and I don't protect it when running or working out.

Now, the stainless body, well that's quite another story. It has a lot of fine scratches I suppose I could buff out if I really wanted to but I kind of like the way they look.
    02-13-2017 10:00 PM
    My screen seems ok, and it's taken quite a few knocks and dings. No screen protector and I don't protect it when running or working out.

Now, the stainless body, well that's quite another story. It has a lot of fine scratches I suppose I could buff out if I really wanted to but I kind of like the way they look.
    The stainless steel and edition watches have a sapphire crystal, while the aluminum watch has an ion-x glass crystal, which is similar to gorilla glass and much more scratchable - that's why I put the Zagg on mine. It is possible to scratch a sapphire crystal, but it takes something that is a lot harder than with ion-x glass.
    02-14-2017 05:36 AM
    The stainless steel and edition watches have a sapphire crystal, while the aluminum watch has an ion-x glass crystal, which is similar to gorilla glass and much more scratchable - that's why I put the Zagg on mine. It is possible to scratch a sapphire crystal, but it takes something that is a lot harder than with ion-x glass.
    True. Although I'd imagine some of the scratches are not to the glass but rather to the oleophobic coating. I probably have some of those on my AW if I bothered to look closely. It's the same with the iPhone itself. I don't use a screen protector there, but do have some light scratching.
    02-14-2017 09:25 AM
    I got armorsuit screen protector on my watch. It has a tiny scratch on it and that made me cover it. And with the screen protector you don't see it. Also with the protector if you get a scratch it will disappear. Lifetime warranty. I highly recommend protecting your watch. very good investment. Looks nice can't even tell its on your watch. Worth it.
    02-19-2017 10:22 AM