Exercise ring filling too easy?

idolw

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I've been using my AW Series 2 since October. Since the first day I started to use it, the Exercise ring (green) is very easy to close. I usually am done with it before noon without any workout done. I just prepare and take my kids to school and maybe my moves are faster than normal humans'.
I thought Apple's machine learning would figure it out and start giving me less credit after a while, but it isn't happening. It is 2:30pm and I have clocked 45 minutes of exercise, although the only active thing I did was take total 15-minute walk to and from the tube.

Is it normal?

Thanks

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
re:

You should be able to change your goals within the apps on your watch or on your phone. You should dial up your move goal and this will make the rings harder to fill out.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It is based on your heart rate. If you are moving quick enough to elevate your heart rate then the rings will fill in. What does your Red ring look like at the same times that your Green ring is filling? Look at the Activity app on the phone and compare the peaks.

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I find just the opposite happening with mine.
At work, I am moving all the time, even running up and down stairs. By the end of the day, I barley have 15 minutes on the exercise ring.
The stand ring and the move ring I can usually close.

cheli007

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
BTW, how many active calories (red ring) do you guys burn a day (not counting tracked excercise?) I have trouble getting to 400 unless I do a workout.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I keep my setting to 350, but I am almost always over the 700+ mark by the end of the day.

idolw

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
You should be able to change your goals within the apps on your watch or on your phone. You should dial up your move goal and this will make the rings harder to fill out.

I know that, thank you, but this relates to the Move ring - the external red ring. My enquiry is about the Exercise ring (green one in the middle).

It is based on your heart rate. If you are moving quick enough to elevate your heart rate then the rings will fill in. What does your Red ring look like at the same times that your Green ring is filling? Look at the Activity app on the phone and compare the peaks.

So it may be that my heart starts to go faster even during small movements and thus reaches the "brisk walk" territory.

BTW, how many active calories (red ring) do you guys burn a day (not counting tracked excercise?) I have trouble getting to 400 unless I do a workout.

I have my daily Move goal at 600 kcal and I complete it everyday without any workout. I plan to move it above 700 after the New Year ;-)

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I need to analyze my daily walk to McDonald's in preparation for the Apple Watch New Year's Day Challenge. Fortunately we get the whole month to do a qualifying week.

sgchick

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
Just bought my Apple watch on New Years Eve. I have a pretty physical job, Courier for Fedex, and thought I'd start out with a large goal...650. lol...I close the blue and green circles every day, but have not closed the reed...only about 350 the last two days.I have not started my workouts again since our busy season as I'm too burnt. I'm going to lower my goal to 400 for now... :).....starting my workouts again next week...Hopefully I can close the red circle then and start moving my goal up again. Absolutely LOVE this watch!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I thought I'd start out with a low number—350, since I had no idea what a good number would be. My two-mile semi-brisk walks give me 1600± every time. Three miles bumps it up even more.

I think a big part of this is keeping your heart rate up will little to no rest. Some people might even have a working heart rate that close to others' resting rate. That might make it tougher on healthier people.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

This! How ambitious your Move goal depends on your resting heart rate and how fit you are. Exercise with a partner and you might be amazed at the difference in how the rings move. I've run with people who get twice the calories I get for the same run.

awdftw420

Jan 16, 2017
Visit site
Do you use a third party heart rate app? I use Cardiogram, and it has an option to actively track HR. I accidentally started this when I got up without realizing and about an hour later I got a notification that my Exercise goal had been met - 56min, and also my Stand ring showed 2h! I had only been up an hour, having laid in bed an hour before that reading with my watch on.

When I start an active HR track on Cardiogram it also shows the 'workout' icon - so I believe Apple Watch sees it as 'Other' workout, which counts toward the rings.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I thought I'd start out with a low number—350, since I had no idea what a good number would be. My two-mile semi-brisk walks give me 1600± every time. Three miles bumps it up even more.

I think a big part of this is keeping your heart rate up will little to no rest. Some people might even have a working heart rate that close to others' resting rate. That might make it tougher on healthier people.
I'm hoping I've misunderstood something in this post...are you saying that you've got 1600 on the red ring after a 2 mile walk? I ran 7.5 miles yesterday and only reached just over 1000

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
StraightlineBoy said:
I'm hoping I've misunderstood something in this post...are you saying that you've got 1600 on the red ring after a 2 mile walk?

Ok, I misspoke and didn't pay enough attention to Activity. My goal is an outdoor walk of 2 mi. Looking at my stats,my walk was actually 3.23 mi and I was in the red for 1,611/380. Today I was 848/380 for 2 mi at a definitely more relaxed pace.

I believe if I walk the same distance at the same pace, I'll get less credit each successive time. Starting Wednesday, the rain will keep me indoors, so I may have to try mall walking (no track suit though).

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I misspoke and didn't pay enough attention to Activity. My goal is an outdoor walk of 2 mi. Looking at my stats,my walk was actually 3.23 mi and I was in the red for 1,611/380. Today I was 848/380 for 2 mi at a definitely more relaxed pace.

Calories burned depends on heart rate, so I'm baffled how you could get 848 calories for a 2 mile walk. Most days I run 3.6 miles and get about 330 calories.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
so I'm baffled how you could get 848 calories for a 2 mile walk.

My best guess is for the time being, my heart rate is faster than average for the work done. As I said here or in another thread, it may be the better shape you're in, the more difficult it may become to achieve a goal. If that's the case, I'm not looking forward to improving significantly. As it is I get a lot of pain in one leg during my walks and have to slow down frequently. I don't expect to work through it, under the circumstances.

I will say the calories burned seem to be somewhat logarithmic to the distance traveled, and that the indicated calories burned seem pretty consistent, walk to walk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2