I hate wearing watches but really want an Apple watch

got berry

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure it sounds silly but has anyone been able to adapt to wearing an Apple Watch that hasn't liked watches in the past? Thanks for your input.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I won't say I didn't like watches because I've owned/I own several. I just didn't wear them very much at all. However, I wear my Apple Watch daily. Adapting was easy because the Apple Watch brings so much more functionality that you otherwise wouldn't have with a standard timepiece

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I haven't worn a watch for about 17 years. I didn't relly hate wearing one, I just stopped wearing it because the plastic band broke and didn't bother getting a new one. Been using a pocket watch for years after that and when the smartphones got more commen I started taking the watch less and less with me.

So when I tried the apple watch on at the store it felt a bit funny and didn't really sit right on my wrist. In the end I got one and worn it every day.
The reason why it didn't sit well was the pre worn bands they had for the demo's. The new band just adapted to my wrist and it feels very good.
I just got a woven nylon band and that feels even better, I hardly notice that I wear a watch during the day.

It might take a few days to get used to, for me the first few days I constantly felt it, but now it's fine.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I started using a Android wear a couple of years ago, before that I have never used a wristwatch. I was sceptical at first but I got used to it very fast. I use it mostly at work but now I bought a second one, a Huawei watch that I use with my iPhone 7 . I really like the function of reading notification on my wrist instead of picking up my phone everything it sounds/vibrate.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure it sounds silly
Not at all. It is what it is.

has anyone been able to adapt to wearing an Apple Watch that hasn't liked watches in the past?
That would be interesting to know. I love watches and wearing them. I've read about and have seen people who wear two watches. I've thought about doing that. In fact I did for a while when a good friend was in country, and it was set to his local time. He made it back 100% ok, so I took that watch off. BTDT, so I was glad when he was back in the world.

Whether you can adapt pretty much depends on why you hate wearing a watch and why you want an Apple Watch and what you expect from it. Unless you have some medical condition that is brought on or exacerbated by a watch, necessity could make you tolerate it. And if necessity can do it, then it's a matter of will power. Philosophical hurdles can be cleared. I say mind over matter, but sometimes it's just not that easy.

There is a definite difference in wait between the Stainless Steel and the aluminum Watches. That and the price are two good reasons you might be better off avoiding it. Either way is a pricy move if it turns out you hate wearing in more than you want it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It all depends on whether or not you think that the utility the Apple Watch provides is enough for you to get over your dislike for wearing watches and being able to enjoy it on a regular basis.

If you don't like wearing a watch because you find them uncomfortable on your wrist, go with the aluminum Watch over the stainless steel model with a lightweight nylon band. I personally hated the silicone band mine came with and almost immediately bought a band with a different material.

I have a leather loop and a nylon band and I find myself using the nylon band more often because I definitely notice the difference in weight between the two.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
It all depends on whether or not you think that the utility the Apple Watch provides is enough for you to get over your dislike for wearing watches and being able to enjoy it on a regular basis.

Good point. And don't forget, the utility involves the extent to which you value non-watch functions, such as notifications, fitness device, etc. It may sound strange, but I usually get the time from my computer or a clock on the wall rather than my Apple Watch. For me, the main utility is not derived from the fact that it is a time piece.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I got my start with Samsung smart watches and I haven't worn a regular watch in over a year. I feel naked without wearing a smartwatch. I have all kinds of watch bands for them because if I am dressed to the max want to have it dressed up too. I don't like regular watches anymore. Seriously...am hooked on the smartwatch and I see them everywhere. On all ages as well

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have several watches but didn't wear them often. My Apple Watch is worn DAILY without fail. Much more functionality than a standard wrist watch.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My wife has always disliked wearing watches or jewelry except for my Rolex on occasion. I'm surprised that she wears her S2 pretty much except to charge it.

I'm happy wearing mine for work and play. FWIW, we both got 42 mm to maximize seeing the data displayed and have no regrets.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My sister hates watches but my BIL bought her an AW anyway and I've only seen it on her wrist once since Christmas. Waste of a nice device.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I normally hate any form of jewellery or watches, however after three weeks with my Apple Watch Series 2 I'm enjoying wearing it. I find I'm leaving it on, even when I don't really need it. The included sports band was ok, but was a little sweaty for me, purchasing the Melanaise loop band fixed this issue for me. Hope your experience is the same as me if you choose to get one of these wonderful little gadgets.

got berry

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Tonight I purchased a Space Gray, 42mm series 1 with the sport band. So far I like it. Can't wait to really see what this thing can do.

got berry

May 28, 2012
Visit site
2 week review. I love my Apple Watch. It hasn't been hard to adjust to. I love the fitness tracking. I am sure I will grow to live it it even more as I learn how to use it better.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
In the mid-90's is when I got my first mobile phone. Since it had a clock on it I stopped wearing a watch.

Fast forward 20-ish years wearing no watch. Bought an Apple Watch about a year ago. Yes, it took some getting used to but now I feel odd if I'm not wearing it. You'll get used to having it on and knowing when you're not wearing it.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have not worn a watch in years, like 15 years, and when I got the original Watch I got right back on the wagon ??????

The key for me was to get the Florolastomer band. The material won't click on things when you type, etc. Once you are used to wearing a watch and you are aware that its there you can switch to a metal band if you like or a band with a metal buckle. When I wear my link bracelet now it is no big deal going through out my day.