(Updated] The Runkeeper app is AWESOME!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: updated RunKepper app is AWESOME

I just bought the series 2. At this point I'm hoping that Runkeeper or the stock workouts app will add interval run support, with haptics for time or distance intervals. (I'll take either one, though I'd prefer time.)

(Unless I've missed that somehow...)

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I just bought the series 2. At this point I'm hoping that Runkeeper or the stock workouts app will add interval run support, with haptics for time or distance intervals. (I'll take either one, though I'd prefer time.)

Never mind; I did miss it. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Could you elaborate on this a bit? How exactly is RK better than the stock app? What am I missing?

I guess DAVSUG doesn't have an answer to my questions. Anybody else here use RunKeeper? Can you tell my why?

Maybe I should just start a thread where we compare running apps.

littlebib

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

I guess DAVSUG doesn't have an answer to my questions. Anybody else here use RunKeeper? Can you tell my why?

Please do. I've just ordered my new Watch and am curious which app to use.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

Good idea.

I stand by my comments that RK is buggy (hasn't been updated since Dec 16th so that must still be true) and therefore I wouldn't trust it to record my running at present.

With regards to running apps in general on the GPS-equipped Apple Watches there still isn't one that reliably gives me everything that I want. I'm pinning my hopes on the Strava update that is due soon(ish) as maybe the one to put things right. For now though, I've gone back to using my Garmin Forerunner when I run

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site

Good idea.

I stand by my comments that RK is buggy (hasn't been updated since Dec 16th so that must still be true) and therefore I wouldn't trust it to record my running at present.

With regards to running apps in general on the GPS-equipped Apple Watches there still isn't one that reliably gives me everything that I want. I'm pinning my hopes on the Strava update that is due soon(ish) as maybe the one to put things right. For now though, I've gone back to using my Garmin Forerunner when I run

I second StraightlineBoy and say its a good idea to compare the apps. Especially if there are several of us who use different apps and can offer good feedback on the +/- of the app(s) they use.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Never mind; I did miss it. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I tried a run with defined intervals yesterday on the Runkeeper app on the watch. (I was tracking the run on my other wrist with my Garmin as well.) Sure, you can define the intervals (on the iPhone app), and you can choose to do such a workout on the watch app. But, at least at this point, the watch app doesn't provide any feedback at all when interval ends are reached, so it's useless for that.

The watch app tracks GPS location but doesn't track elevation at all, FWIW.

One advantage of the Runkeeper app over the stock workouts app (again, unless I missed something) is the ability to upload runs to Garmin Connect (and MyFitnessPal), so your workout data isn't captive to just Apple. (Though I know that there are third party apps that let you upload workouts from the stock app to other services.)

I'm interested in using the Apple Watch as a backup running watch in case something happens to my Forerunner (i.e., I forget to pack the charging cable when I travel). Hopefully either the stock Workouts app, or the Runkeeper app, will be improved to make that fully possible.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

I think the best that the Apple Watch can be is a simple running watch that records a GPS trail (with elevation detail) and then has a companion app on the phone to upload to your online service of choice.

The Garmins have a distinct design advantage when it comes to advanced stuff, like intervals, and tweaking settings on the fly and that's having physical buttons. The AW screen is pretty tough to use when your heart rate is at 165 and you're aiming for a tiny touch target. It's worse than that if you're really sweaty and completely useless in the rain (and some of us do run in bad weather).

All I really want is an app with a stop / start button and some data fields that i can choose from via the phone app. It shouldn't interfere with any music you have playing and should be able to give audio prompts. The data should be mine to upload it wherever I choose. Finally, the big one, it must be 100% reliable (within the bounds of the GPS margin of error obviously). My Garmin is 100% reliable and that's why I've gone back to it

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site

I think the best that the Apple Watch can be is a simple running watch that records a GPS trail (with elevation detail) and then has a companion app on the phone to upload to your online service of choice.

The Garmins have a distinct design advantage when it comes to advanced stuff, like intervals, and tweaking settings on the fly and that's having physical buttons. The AW screen is pretty tough to use when your heart rate is at 165 and you're aiming for a tiny touch target. It's worse than that if you're really sweaty and completely useless in the rain (and some of us do run in bad weather).

All I really want is an app with a stop / start button and some data fields that i can choose from via the phone app. It shouldn't interfere with any music you have playing and should be able to give audio prompts. The data should be mine to upload it wherever I choose. Finally, the big one, it must be 100% reliable (within the bounds of the GPS margin of error obviously). My Garmin is 100% reliable and that's why I've gone back to it

Try using MapMyRun. That is the app I use. You can save the runs as a tcx file from the website. I've never used it for intervals but it may handle it.

cheli007

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

Try using MapMyRun. That is the app I use. You can save the runs as a tcx file from the website. I've never used it for intervals but it may handle it.
That's what I used to use also. But I believe MapMyRun still requires the phone to be carried with.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Good idea.

Okay. I'll start a thread and I look forward to reading what people are getting from a third party app that is unavailable on the stock app.

littlebib

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site

New Watch owner here and I'm thinking that Runkeeper is the way to go so far (I'll admit to limited research). How do you tell runkeeper that you're on a treadmill?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

RK was my go to running app until I got the series 0 AW. The RK app was so horrible that I completely stopped using it. It woudn't load or it would crash or it wouldn't update. I was so turned off that I haven't used it in probably 7-9 months. Willing to give it a shot now, though. I have the series 2 and now that I'm over my injury and can build up my running distance slowly, I will give it a go again.

Rich W3

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site

Either Apple does not know what runners want in an app, does not care, does not know how to deliver, or the watch does not have the horsepower to deliver. Hard to say which. Also possible "serious" runners are not a target market. Stock watch app is OK for easy/leisurely runs, but when serious training begins, I still have to put my Garmin on.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Either Apple does not know what runners want in an app, does not care, does not know how to deliver, or the watch does not have the horsepower to deliver. Hard to say which. Also possible "serious" runners are not a target market. Stock watch app is OK for easy/leisurely runs, but when serious training begins, I still have to put my Garmin on.

On the other hand - when people begin running for the first time, they often follow a program with regular walk breaks. So, you start running 15 seconds and walk 45 seconds, and eventually reduce and then eliminate the walk breaks. Or, run 100 meters and walk 200 meters, if you want distance based intervals. Taptic notifications would be great for something like that (for both beginners and high-level runners doing interval training). The fact that the Runtastic, Nike+, and the stock workouts app cannot handle something like that for beginners is a big miss IMO.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

I think the AW has plenty of horsepower - most Garmin devices are hardly supercomputers - but I fear that Apple (and Nike) believe that they have catered for runners and we could be waiting for a considerable time for the AW to be brought up to the level of a Garmin device in terms of functions. Perhaps the justification for this is that they'll leave the serious stuff to the third party app makers but from what I've seen progress has been slow and there's still nothing that offers the key features of my 2 year old Garmin watch with reliability as well. I've returned to my Garmin (with it's 100% reliable physical buttons rather than finicky touch screen) for all of my running which wasn't the way I hoped things would work out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh