Nike Running App - 2nd impressions

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
My initial look at the Nike app on the watch was underwelming and the suggested bridging app to get the recorded trail into Strava did a less than stellar job. Since then I've had some advice on how to configure RunGap properly so have decided to give it a revisit and I'm much happier.
Today for example I've been out for 2 hours and it's all worked great. The Nike app recorded the run properly, auto-pause seemed to work well and it's all uploaded to Strava properly. (Tip: if you use RunGap ensure it's exporting the Nike data, rather than the workouts data or you won't export a GPS trail) It's now 5pm, have had 2 hours of GPS on the watch, plus the other stuff it does) and it's at 52% battery which is pretty good too.
The Nike app on the phone is still flaky. The import from the watch seems slow and comes down in bits so for a while you're wondering why there's no GPS trail or HR data, but it turns up in it's own sweet time. Once that's there then you can use RunGap to export it.
All in all, much happier than I was first time around.

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Glad your Nike app is working better. I haven't had any issues although it does take a minute for the data to transfer to the phone app. I'm sufficiently happy w NRC but I'm more of a cyclist and I use Strava for that.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Glad your Nike app is working better. I haven't had any issues although it does take a minute for the data to transfer to the phone app. I'm sufficiently happy w NRC but I'm more of a cyclist and I use Strava for that.
Strava integration is a must for me. Whilst I'm no olympic athlete I do have 2+ years worth of data on Strava so I don't mind what app I use, quite happy for Nike to have my data, but Strava integration is vital. Using RunGap as a bridging app is a bit of a hack but I'll put up with it until there's more options for phone-free running.
The other thing that the Nike phone app does badly is sharing to other networks (such as Facebook) - it does do it but rather than getting a map of the route, it exports a neon squiggle of your route on a plain or patterned background with no landmarks or place-names on whatsoever; who at Nike thought this is what people want I wonder?!

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I noticed another fix today, the watch now dips the music volume when the Nike app is reading your progress (e.g. 1 kilometre in 5 minutes 30 seconds etc). Good to see

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2