Apple Watch and Weight Lifting Workouts?

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just got in my Series 2 and I'm loving the watch for workout and activity purposes!
How do people use the watch when weight lifting? Basically just set it to 'other' workout and go for it?

Thanks!

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
That's what I do. I doubt the calorie count is accurate but i do want it to consider it my exercise for the day so it's better than nothing

aaroninky

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I am using an app called Gymaholic, very well done and put together. It is a fremium app, but I paid the additional fee for the "pro" features & love it. It lets you build custom workouts or you could use pre-setup ones with a big advantage of using force touch midworkout to change things like sets or weights or both if you need to change on the fly. It's a very well put together app that I heard about through here initially I think as well as on the Reddit Apple Watch thread. It's one of the best apps I've purchased in a long time.

I build my workout routine on my phone and then in a matter of seconds it loads onto my watch, and then by just tapping the watch I move through my sets or as mentioned before I make changes immediately if I need to.

maha_wasim

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Apple Smartwatches are amazing Apple's innovation. But one thing I am not sure and fear about is that these Smartwatches have motion sensors which can also note your hand movements and when if sometimes you enter pins at your ATM machine wearing these smartwatches, these sensors can possibly trace your hand trajectories and attacker would easily be able to learn your pin code. That means these wearable can possibly reveal your Personal Pin codes :(

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Apple Smartwatches are amazing Apple's innovation. But one thing I am not sure and fear about is that these Smartwatches have motion sensors which can also note your hand movements and when if sometimes you enter pins at your ATM machine wearing these smartwatches, these sensors can possibly trace your hand trajectories and attacker would easily be able to learn your pin code. That means these wearable can possibly reveal your Personal Pin codes :(

Even though I don't share any of your fears because the motion tracking isn't nearly that accurate, how about using your other hand to enter PINs if that's your fear?

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
That means these wearable can possibly reveal your Personal Pin codes

I think the idea is laughable and your fears groundless. I seriously doubt the Watch or any watch's motion sensor(s) have anywhere near the resolution to trace the hand movements, not to mention the problem if getting that information from the watch and translating it to movement.

Fortunately, even if that were possible, it would only affect a very, very small segment of the population— those who wear their Watch on their dominant hand, and those who wear their Watch on the non-dominate and use it for entering the pin codes. People can say 'hey, that's how I do it' but they're still a very, very small subset of humanity.

maha_wasim

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Even though I don't share any of your fears because the motion tracking isn't nearly that accurate, how about using your other hand to enter PINs if that's your fear?

LOL! Well yes, that makes sense. But clear me one thing more, won't these wearables could cause you risk with stolen away your Apple Pay credentials by hacker? I've just read an article about hackers being able to get the PIN code using the hand trajectories and got pretty worried that I suggest to alarm my fellow friends to be cautious while entering PINs on the ATM machine.

maha_wasim

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I think the idea is laughable and your fears groundless. I seriously doubt the Watch or any watch's motion sensor(s) have anywhere near the resolution to trace the hand movements, not to mention the problem if getting that information from the watch and translating it to movement.

Fortunately, even if that were possible, it would only affect a very, very small segment of the population— those who wear their Watch on their dominant hand, and those who wear their Watch on the non-dominate and use it for entering the pin codes. People can say 'hey, that's how I do it' but they're still a very, very small subset of humanity.

I guess inspite of laughing and judging one's fear you should get your eyes on latest updates and news that these fears are not groundless but a true fact which you might consider laughable at the moment but would agree if you go through some of the Apple watch hacks. My idea to discuss fears here was to alarm my friends to keep their eyes open and be careful in all the possible way they can.

maha_wasim

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site

Yeah, that's make sense. I was just highlighting the issue with the smartwatch and you just suggested the alternate way which is already recommended bu experts :) Maybe that will help those who don't know that issue I have learned from this article.
Hackers Can Steal Your ATM PIN from Your Smartwatch Or Fitness Tracker

hinesmj

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I've been holding off on a purchase of a watch for this specific reason. I wasn't sure how it would work with weightlifting. Can it track your sets, reps, weight etc? And is it cumbersome to input all of that while working out? Also, do you use it sans phone while in the gym to listen to music and whatnot? I had hoped to just leave my phone in my locker and use the watch for streaming music with bluetooth earbuds...is that possible?

aaroninky

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah,

I've been using Gymaholic for the last month, and about 3 weeks ago they did an update to the app that made it a whole lot better than it was (not that it was bad to begin with). I setup my workouts on my iPhone by choosing weights and sets and then when it's time to workout I just launch the app on my watch and all I have to do is tap through the workout for each set and it will countdown rest time as well as needed.

I can't speak to music since I have my phone with me and stream music from there though, so I can't really help you with that aspect.

Overall, Gymaholic is one of the best app purchases I have made for either my phone or watch, it's very well put together.

duncanator

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I've used the previous apple watch and the series 2 for over 10 months while weightlifting and I've since switched to using a polar chest strap. I found that my workout gloves kept hitting the digital crown. I then switched the watch to the other wrist but it just didn't work with my gloves. Once I changed to the chest strap, I found that my watch was not tracking my heart rate as accurately as I thought it was. Again, I think it was because of my gloves. I also stopped wearing it during a cross-fit type workout because I just didn't think it was as accurate.

I still wear the series 2 watch daily, but have abandoned it for my workouts.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner