My first 24 hours with the Apple Watch Series 2

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd put together some rambling thoughts here. To preface them, I should tell you that I tried (and returned) the original Apple Watch when it came out. At the time, I felt it was trying to do wayyyyy to many things, and it did none of them very well.

Since then, I've been without an Apple Watch, but I'm pleased to report that watchOS has come a long way, and I'm extremely happy with the Series 2 so far.

Some thoughts:

Straps
I picked up the regular silicone band for mine (in black). While not 'fancy', I have to say it is extremely comfortable to wear, and once you get the hang of it is easy to take on and off. Also, it really does secure the watch on your wrist. It's a solid choice, especially if you plan on using the watch mostly for casual wear or workouts.

Activity Rings
I love these. I'm coming from a Fitbit background where the majority of my time was always focused on 'steps'. I'm finding the activity rings have changed my focus to actually getting up to be active. Standing for at least 1 min per hour is good when I'm stuck behind my desk. Plus the exercise and 'move' calorie goals have me exercising more than I ever did with my Fitbit. Still early days for sure, but I'm really loving how this system motivates (at least for me).

Taptic Engine
Just love this thing. It really does feel like someone is tapping you on the wrist. The touch is almost, human.

Will leave it here for now, but would love to read your thoughts as well. The way things are going, I think I may be a Fitbit to Apple Watch convert :)

olearydan

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
That's excellent to hear and a nice review. I have ordered one for my girlfriend and I'm excited for it to arrive. Thanks for the review.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I tend to agree with most of what James stated, except for the 'exercising more' part. I'm not there yet :(
However, it would be interesting to know what calorie amounts and such one should program into the watch. Thus giving one true goals for the day/week, etc...

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
However, it would be interesting to know what calorie amounts and such one should program into the watch. Thus giving one true goals for the day/week, etc...

I have no specific numbers or advise other than to not only keep your numbers/goals reasonably obtainable, but to keep them initially LOW, LOL. This will give you an initial sense of accomplishment as well as gauging how and what you're doing to meet those goals.

You can always increase them as desired. There is no shame in doing so, unlike reducing your numbers/goals so that the rings and metrics will show progress!

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I tend to agree with most of what James stated, except for the 'exercising more' part. I'm not there yet :(

With regards to calorie amounts I'd say start with about 300-400. I went for 600 in my first week and found I didn't always hit that even after doing a 5k run! My way of thinking is set a target that can be achieved on non-gym/non-exercise days. If you go to the gym today or run then you don't need a ring to tell you that you've been active - what I think you need is on those non-exercise days a goal that with a bit of effort can still be reached, maybe walking to the shop rather than jumping in the car, that sort of thing. Mine is set to 400 this week, can't remember if it has to be in whole hundreds but if possible i'll go for 350 next week.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I was always skeptical of the idea of the apple watch. When I saw that it was waterproof and the new activity stuff, I was sold. I'm a big swimmer and try to get in solid 1 hour workouts at least 4-5 days a week (even while in Law School...)

I'm a huge watch traditionalist and the apple watch will never replace my 'daily drivers' and my fascination with watchmaking, complications and movements, but the watch is fun to throw in the mix a couple of days a week and to use during workouts!

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I was always skeptical of the idea of the apple watch. When I saw that it was waterproof and the new activity stuff, I was sold. I'm a big swimmer and try to get in solid 1 hour workouts at least 4-5 days a week (even while in Law School...)

I'm a huge watch traditionalist and the apple watch will never replace my 'daily drivers' and my fascination with watchmaking, complications and movements, but the watch is fun to throw in the mix a couple of days a week and to use during workouts!

I've always worn a watch, a nice watch (to be clear, one that cost hundreds rather than thousands) and it's been something that I've wrestled with since getting into smart watches and activity trackers. Gradually my proper watch has lost out as I've got more and more use out the new devices and now almost never gets used. Will be interesting to see if you end up going down the same road that I have.

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Actually being waterproof is something I think everything should have, I like this review, more personal and fresh not just technical data :)

And yes, pics James :)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Ivan, if you're not very active, or don't work out much, I'd recommend starting around 300 'move' calories... the good thing about it is every week the activity app makes a suggestion based on your activity. So, if you really killed it for the week averaging 400+ 'move' calories burned, it might suggest you go up to 350 or 400. It's a living goal that changes and adjusts based on your results.

I'm finding something in the 500-600 range works well for me at the moment. I exercise at least 30 mins a day, and that seems to be a comfortable goal. If I really wanted to press I'd go 700+.

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I love the taptic engine -- I can't even explain to people how cool it is. I have worn a Moto 360 for six months, and a couple of Samsungs before that -- and they vibrate -- but this watch really just 'reminds' you.

It is my favorite part.

Just joined a gym and getting active for the first time in more decades than I like to admit to, so I'm finding the activity app a little confusing -- but I'm working on it.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I have worn a Moto 360 for six months, and a couple of Samsungs before that -- and they vibrate -- but this watch really just 'reminds' you.

I've actually heard somebody's watch on vibrate mode, but I was sitting next to them. Some tech guy referred to the Taptic Engine as 'buzzing'. He didn't get it.

The Taptic Engine – for me that's like 90% of the Apple Watch's appeal…

Yes! And for me Apple Pay is like another 90%. And Notifications another 90%! :D

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'd love to use Apple Pay but somehow Apple seems to not care at all about Germany? :(

Launching a worldwide payment service is way more complex than any of us even understand. Every government has its own rules, regulations, and nuances. Apple has no reason not to launch it in Germany or any other country if it were as easy as pressing a few buttons. They like to make money, and ApplePay generates easy revenue.

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Launching a worldwide payment service is way more complex than any of us even understand. Every government has its own rules, regulations, and nuances. Apple has no reason not to launch it in Germany or any other country if it were as easy as pressing a few buttons. They like to make money, and ApplePay generates easy revenue.

Yes, I know ? of cause!
But it's been two years since launch in the US an it definitely would be possible (there are other services which people start using)?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I'm sitting here at 1,200 calories a day ha ha. It's a little harder to reach now that work isn't as active at the moment, I still do my best though. I came my Apple Watch from a Pebble Steel, and the Apple Watch was much nicer, and easier than the Pebble. Interesting to hear about the change coming from a Fitbit.

sgchick

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
I just bought my watch a couple days ago. It will be fun to use the activity feature this week.I work for Fedex and am pretty active all day. I've set my goals pretty high, so we will see. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro