My Nike+ Watch has arrived!!!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
eBay is full of knockoffs though.
Amazon has some too. I'm waiting for hands on reviews.

What does PIMP mean?

That it's cool, sharp looking? Hawt? ('Hot' for those who don't speak Paris.)

In reality, Apple just pimped-out a regular S2, and yet gave us a great looking option and something special for runners.

Pimp My Watch! And that's what the rest of us to when we choose bands, cases, and custom watch faces for our regular Watches.

Will Herm?s make a Black/Volt cuff and Tour? You know, for those rich enough to pay someone else to run for them?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I did deliberately choose the most muted colour combo for the strap, it's one that I think you'd get away with in most scenarios. I like the black and yellow one but it would look out of place in a more formal environment and I don't want to have to think about swapping straps all the time. I'm sure at some point I'll get another strap for a change of look but so far this one is very comfortable and a safe all around choice I think

I am doing the same. I like the black and yellow band, but want the option that goes with most options and will not draw as much attention.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I'd love you hear your thoughts on the watch/Nike Run app combo once you've put it through its paces!

Will do tomorrow.

I did go for a run this morning and tried to use the Nike app but failed to get it going. It was at an organised run, so when the 3, 2, 1 count was done fumbling with an unfamiliar app on an unfamiliar watch probably was a bad idea in hindsight. Didn't help that the weather was drizzling which seemed to play havoc with the touchscreen. I'm going to chalk this one down to user error and try again tomorrow.

dirtbiker0025

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
The app is pretty much set it and forget it...hit start watch the 321 count down and then when it says go start running...it really doesn't give you options to mess with understandably because you should probably me focused on where your running...when your done with the run it will have a very detailed summary including heart rate during the run.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Can you please put it side by side with your iPhone thanks, post pic :)

f624563f7d68618a9a360a26b65ac3b1.jpg

Here's the Black/Volt

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Right. Those displays don't work properly when wet. That's why the Activity app on S2 Watches
has the option to lock out the display while swimming.

I find it odd how little water this took, a small amount of drizzle - my iPhone screen works perfectly fine in considerably worse conditions. I think I'll have to experiment further as I'm sure over the course of the coming months I'll be out in worse conditions often enough

Murpheee

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know if we will be able to buy extra Nike bands?

Yep! There are some on Ebay. 11.00 to 13.00 bucks. Just look up Nike Apple watch replacement bands and see what pops up. They even have red/black combo. I love the quality too. Knock offs but hey they are cheap and look identical and the fit is great. I love getting 5 bands for the price of ONE Apple band.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Ok so my first proper run with the Nike app (without phone) done so here are my thoughts...

I went out with just the Watch and my wireless Bose Soundsport earphones and set my running playlist on shuffle for the run. The app seems to have tracked run pretty accurately and the music playback was good and without any issues. There's definitely issues and niggles to iron out.

1) while you're running the screen shows elapsed time, distance and current pace - current pace isn't very useful as it's calculated over too short a period - within a few metres I would see my pace vary from 4 minutes per km to over 6 minutes and that's just not correct. Average pace or hear rate would be a better figure to display.
2) The app speaks info to at the end of each km (or mile I guess depending on your chosen units) but it doesn't drop the volume of the music to do it - depending how loud or quiet the section of music you're listening to at the time is will determine how audible the prompt is. Poor attention to detail.
3) When done there's an overview of the run in the workouts app. It took a surprisingly long time to show up in the Nike app on the phone (several minutes) to the point that I was thinking it was lost. Most of the info I'd expect to see there is there but there's no elevation data - disappointing. The route map is also on a dirty grey background, not the most visible it could be.
4) I knew this before I went out but it's still a complaint - I want to be able to export my data to Strava and I can't, I can only manually enter the bare bones details myself. I don't mind using the Nike app and them having my data but it is MY data and they shouldn't hold it hostage. It's shortsighted because I'll probably use the Strava app instead and just accept that I need to take my phone out with me until the Strava app is updated to work on the Watch in solo mode. I have over 2 years of data in Strava and a bunch of friends on there so it's not a simple as starting fresh.

My watch has been off the charger for about 2.5 hours now, done a 35 minute run using it's GPS and playing music and is showing 88% battery left - I think that's pretty good and I'll have no problems getting through day on one charge

Overall, not bad, but if you're invested in other platforms, unless you're prepared to switch wholesale to the Nike system then it's not going to work for you. I'd also say that this part of being an early adopter, GPS on an Apple Watch has been around (in public) for a whole 6 weeks. I'm sure that in the coming weeks and months updates will come to the Nike app and other running apps and the situation will be a whole lot better. I'm not about to return my watch, it's a promising start but needs refining

Last edited:

rbadehaan

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
On the demo models i saw that you can turn the crown and then is was possible to see the heart rate big. I have an normal series 2 and on this version it is not possible to see heart rate in big, only very small left upper corner. Not useable for running.
Also i discovered that the app doesn't pickup the heart rate if you have connected a heart rate belt to the apple watch. I have used a polar h7 and it does work with the apple workout app, but is doen't give result in the nike+ app.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I picked up one yesterday and loving it. Had the 1st gen and wasn't a fan so returned it. Love the band and the feel of the Nike+ version!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 113601

And there it is, currently on it's charger so it can sync some music across - a process so slow that I assume that the phone is playing them in real time and the watch is receiving them by listening to it, hey ho!

The photo doesn't really show the colours well, the numbers on the display are that much brighter shade of yellow that you'll have seen on the Nike watch screenshots

That's a nice looking color combo. Now all you need is a nice stand :)

I have one like this: Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330 for Apple Watch 42MM, Watch 38MM - Apple iPhone Cradles - iMore Store

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I did deliberately choose the most muted colour combo for the strap, it's one that I think you'd get away with in most scenarios. I like the black and yellow one but it would look out of place in a more formal environment and I don't want to have to think about swapping straps all the time. I'm sure at some point I'll get another strap for a change of look but so far this one is very comfortable and a safe all around choice I think

Like you'll ever only have one band!! ;)

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Like you'll ever only have one band!! ;)
I do have my on eye other straps although with a possible very expensive MacBook purchase to come that may have to wait!

I am finding the Nike strap to be really comfortable to the point that I barely feel that I've got the watch on. That's possibly exaggerated for me because I've been used to wearing a bigger, heavier Garmin triathlon watch for the past year or so.

jprice912

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok so my first proper run with the Nike app (without phone) done so here are my thoughts...

I went out with just the Watch and my wireless Bose Soundsport earphones and set my running playlist on shuffle for the run. The app seems to have tracked run pretty accurately and the music playback was good and without any issues. There's definitely issues and niggles to iron out.

1) while you're running the screen shows elapsed time, distance and current pace - current pace isn't very useful as it's calculated over too short a period - within a few metres I would see my pace vary from 4 minutes per km to over 6 minutes and that's just not correct. Average pace or hear rate would be a better figure to display.
2) The app speaks info to at the end of each km (or mile I guess depending on your chosen units) but it doesn't drop the volume of the music to do it - depending how loud or quiet the section of music you're listening to at the time is will determine how audible the prompt is. Poor attention to detail.
3) When done there's an overview of the run in the workouts app. It took a surprisingly long time to show up in the Nike app on the phone (several minutes) to the point that I was thinking it was lost. Most of the info I'd expect to see there is there but there's no elevation data - disappointing. The route map is also on a dirty grey background, not the most visible it could be.
4) I knew this before I went out but it's still a complaint - I want to be able to export my data to Strava and I can't, I can only manually enter the bare bones details myself. I don't mind using the Nike app and them having my data but it is MY data and they shouldn't hold it hostage. It's shortsighted because I'll probably use the Strava app instead and just accept that I need to take my phone out with me until the Strava app is updated to work on the Watch in solo mode. I have over 2 years of data in Strava and a bunch of friends on there so it's not a simple as starting fresh.

My watch has been off the charger for about 2.5 hours now, done a 35 minute run using it's GPS and playing music and is showing 88% battery left - I think that's pretty good and I'll have no problems getting through day on one charge

Overall, not bad, but if you're invested in other platforms, unless you're prepared to switch wholesale to the Nike system then it's not going to work for you. I'd also say that this part of being an early adopter, GPS on an Apple Watch has been around (in public) for a whole 6 weeks. I'm sure that in the coming weeks and months updates will come to the Nike app and other running apps and the situation will be a whole lot better. I'm not about to return my watch, it's a promising start but needs refining

You can use an app like RunGap on the app store and export it straight to Strava that way from the Nike+ app. The app itself is free, but exporting to other apps is an in app purchase I believe, but I'm told it works well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR