I would never want to use noise canceling headphones while running for safety reasons. I want to hear what's going on around me on the roads and want to know if someone is running up behind me.
    I walk my dogs on the road so need to hear traffic etc, so what else is there besides air pods that are good and not noice cancelling, 6 week wait here for AirPods.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    03-05-2017 03:43 PM
    I walk my dogs on the road so need to hear traffic etc, so what else is there besides air pods that are good and not noice cancelling, 6 week wait here for AirPods.
    As I said earlier in the thread, Plantronics Backbeat Fit. 8 hour battery life, ear hooks keep them in place, they do not block your ear canal, water/sweat resistant. Far less expensive than Air Pods or Beats.

https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-B...mUvbUpU2907848

There are other colors beside the green BTW.

(Note: I followed the recommendation of The Wirecutter on this.)
    03-05-2017 03:50 PM
    As I said earlier in the thread, Plantronics Backbeat Fit. 8 hour battery life, ear hooks keep them in place, they do not block your ear canal, water/sweat resistant. Far less expensive than Air Pods or Beats.

https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-B...mUvbUpU2907893

There are other colors beside the green BTW.

(Note: I followed the recommendation of The Wirecutter on this.)
    I've had these. Loved them except they did not fit my tiny ears. The hooks were way too big and not adjustable. I had to return them.
    03-05-2017 05:12 PM
    Thinking of trying the powerbeats 3, with the hooks should be able to have them sit on outside of ears and not plugged inside, anyone have/tried these?
    akutch34 likes this.
    03-05-2017 05:40 PM
    Thinking of trying the powerbeats 3, with the hooks should be able to have them sit on outside of ears and not plugged inside, anyone have/tried these?
    I haven't, but a friend has them and loves them. Can't speak from personal experience, though.
    03-05-2017 06:33 PM
    I haven't, but a friend has them and loves them. Can't speak from personal experience, though.
    Cheers, I have a pair of Jabra sport i got cheap half price, just realised i can adjust the volume on the watch which was my main problem i couldn't get the sound low enough on the Jabra, when i walk my dogs we have no footpaths so i go on side of roads and i need to hear cars etc, it's a learning curve. They have a FM radio too which is handy.
    There not the best sound but don't block out noise so might just stick with them as that's all i need them for, have Bose QC35 for the house/travel.
    03-05-2017 07:02 PM
    I use either my Powerbeats 3s or my AirPods. Both work great while running. They allow enough outside road noise in but let me hear my music.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    03-05-2017 07:14 PM
    they wouldn't be noise cancelling like the Bose QC35 I have
    Correct. The AirPods aren't even noise-isolating earphones because the don't seal against the ear. Because of individual variations of the outer portion of the auditory canal, the AirPods might block a little more sound ambient sound for some people than others, but it still won't be much.

Generally, that's a plus, allowing you to have a little more situational awareness should you take advantage of it. The down side is that some people tend to turn up the volume to overcome ambient sound/noise and extended higher volume levels can and do cause some permanent hearing loss.

AFIK the in ear beats are only noise canceling to the extent they seal where AirPods do not.
    Also correct. That passive 'noise-cancelling' is usually referred to as noise-isolating.

I want to hear what's going on around me on the roads and want to know if someone is running up behind me.
    Using noise-cancelling headphones would be pretty similar to using earbuds that seal well. I've used both on the street for comparison, and good sound isolation headphones actually pose more of a threat, in my experience. Active noise cancellation works well against steady state sounds but if there is some anomalous sound they don't do much to suppress it. Sealed earbuds suppress everything pretty well. I think hearing somebody running behind you would be very near equally tough. At least too tough to recommend either. But that's a judgement call.

Exactly why I prefer the AirPods and EarPods before them.

I'd only use the sealed type outside or in public when safety via surroundings would not be an issue.
    FTW!

Powerbeats 2. Only ones I've found that sty securely in place while running/doing activities.
    This is why everyone should try their transducers of choice before buying, or be prepared to return them if they don't work. For me, EarBuds and AirPods stay in my ears very well. The AirPods feel like a better fit and don't have the extra weight of cords dangling and bouncing.

I have a further advantage over all of you— I don't run. HAH!
    03-06-2017 07:13 AM

This is why everyone should try their transducers of choice before buying, or be prepared to return them if they don't work. For me, EarBuds and AirPods stay in my ears very well. The AirPods feel like a better fit and don't have the extra weight of cords dangling and bouncing.

I have a further advantage over all of you— I don't run. HAH!
    Unfortunately Air Pods and Ear Pods hurt too much and fall out constantly. Can't keep them in just sitting around, never mind walking or exercising.
    03-06-2017 05:52 PM
    Today the same wind that wanted my hat wanted knock out an AirPod. I was surprised that little white stub caught air. It was 25 MPH with huger gusts.
    03-06-2017 09:44 PM
    Today the same wind that wanted my hat wanted knock out an AirPod. I was surprised that little white stub caught air. It was 25 MPH with huger gusts.
    Did it fall out?
    03-06-2017 10:06 PM
    Did it fall out?
    I didn't let it happen because the place and wind could have sent it swimming or more likely sinking.
    eyecrispy likes this.
    03-06-2017 10:13 PM
    Jaybird X3
    03-13-2017 07:23 AM
    I've used the power beats and the backbeat. Didn't like either one. The backbeats didn't fit me right and the batterylife of the powerbeats were meh. I love the BlueDio Brand R 8.
    06-13-2017 07:49 AM
    I've been using the Vi. It's an AI enabled Bluetooth earbuds made specifically for running. Backed it on Kickstarter. It's not perfect but has a lot of potential. Worth checking out.
    06-15-2017 03:57 PM
65 123