Nike + Running app not mapping my run on Apple Watch Series 2

jkauf13

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I used the Nike + Running app on my watch without my phone for my last two runs and it tracks the distance, time, pace, etc., but when it syncs to my iPhone once I finish, it doesn't show a map of the route. It shows a circle firework looking graphic instead of the map. Please help!

cheli007

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
The Nike+ app on the watch (or any third party apps for that matter) does not use GPS from the watch. Has to come from the phone. Not sure if Apple doesn't allow it or the running apps just haven't updated yet.

Last edited:

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The app on the watch (or any third party apps for that matter) does not use GPS from the watch. Has to come from the phone. Not sure if Apple doesn't allow it or the running apps just haven't updated yet.

The Apple Watch, Maps, and Workout DO use GPS if the phone isn't present. This is to save the battery life of the Watch. If you have two GPS radios, no need to use them both, use the one with the big battery. So if you run without the phone, you're using the Watch's GPS. Third party apps have to be updated to use the Watch's GPS but that their responsibility.

As I understand it, the Workout app will give you some information about your workout. When done with a run, get the phone and check the Activity app for a more detailed report.