Best third party bands for Apple Watch

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Clockwork Synergy Light Brown Worn Leather Band, with the two E3 bands I received last week. The E3 leather is much softer/nicer. The Clockwork Synergy is still nice, just really stiff. I'm sure it will soften over time. The E3 bands have more of a handmade feel to them, while the Clockwork Synergy has an off-the-shelf feel. Still a nice band.

IMG_0170.JPG

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
aged-black-Gentlemens-apple-Watch-Band-Top_PVD-Black-Buckle_PVD-Black-Adapter-860x860.jpg

This is a picture of the Clockwork Synergy band I purchased last week. It is the black aged leather from the Gentlemen's Collection. I am sad to report that I sent it back today. It is a premium quality product and I loved that it had black buckle and lugs. There were unfortunately two problems. First, it was just too big for my wrist. When buckled, it wrapped all the way around my wrist so that the end of the band was almost touching the watch. This meant that the buckle was on the side rather than the middle of my wrist - awkward and uncomfortable. Second, the band was much too thick and stiff. It seemed to weigh more than the watch.

So, the search for a black leather band continues. I might consider spending $150 for an Apple if I could get last year's model that @Spencerdl shows here.

Because I've had good luck with Moko and Kartice bands, I'm considering their black leather loop knockoff. Anyone own either of these??

Moko Black Leather Loop Band

Kartice Leather Loop Band

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I purchased a FANtek black leather loop from Amazon, and it had an almost sparkly finish. Returned immediately. I'd stay away from that brand. I eventually purchased a used Apple Leather Loop from eBay, maybe search there. If you do, make sure it's medium. Large was much too long for me, and it sounds like it would be for you too.

jmerrey

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I recently purchase a few bands from E3 Supply. Very nice. They have options for band length and hardware color. The Shell Cordovan leather, while a bit more expensive than their Chromexcel, is a really soft and supple band. I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but they aren't what I would call "refined". Very nice, but they definitely have a hand made feel to them. Maybe give that a shot? Lucrin might also be a good option, though strangely they only offer custom lug colors, not matching buckles.

View attachment 114963

This is a picture of the Clockwork Synergy band I purchased last week. It is the black aged leather from the Gentlemen's Collection. I am sad to report that I sent it back today. It is a premium quality product and I loved that it had black buckle and lugs. There were unfortunately two problems. First, it was just too big for my wrist. When buckled, it wrapped all the way around my wrist so that the end of the band was almost touching the watch. This meant that the buckle was on the side rather than the middle of my wrist - awkward and uncomfortable. Second, the band was much too thick and stiff. It seemed to weigh more than the watch.

So, the search for a black leather band continues. I might consider spending $150 for an Apple if I could get last year's model that @Spencerdl shows here.

Because I've had good luck with Moko and Kartice bands, I'm considering their black leather loop knockoff. Anyone own either of these??

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 114963

Too bad the band didn't work for you. What I find interesting is you say the buckle wasn't n the middle of your wrist. Was that portion of the band too long or short? Which made me think how much of a difference is there in that portion of the bands between manufacturers?
IMG_5470.jpg

Here are the buckle portions of 4 different bands I have, The left ones are Clockwork Synergy leather and NATO bands, The right ones are Apple Nylon and Sport bands. The leather one is the longest overall but sport band is pretty close.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Which made me think how much of a difference is there in that portion of the bands between manufacturers?

Good question. Usually it's the other band that that's too long for some people. I could imagine that a buckle might be slightly off center depending on the manufacturer, though I wouldn't expect it to be much. But if it doesn't fit, you must return it.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm also in search of a "quality" Black Leather band and I would like to purchase the Apple Black Leather Watch Band, but it doesn't come with a black buckle or black lugs. I still might get though...I dunno

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
I know EXACTLY what you mean about the Clockwork Synergy band being 'think' and 'stiff'! I'm still trying to break mine in. I bend it countless times before placing it on my wrist. Albeit, the watch still sits off to the left of my wrist bone. Thus I miss notifications.

I'm giving it a few more days - leather takes a while to break in...

View attachment 114963

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Too bad the band didn't work for you. What I find interesting is you say the buckle wasn't n the middle of your wrist. Was that portion of the band too long or short? Which made me think how much of a difference is there in that portion of the bands between manufacturers?

I'm not sure, I just know that the buckle wasn't in the middle of my wrist. It probably wasn't off as far as I think, it's just that the stiffness of the band made it seem worse.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm also in search of a "quality" Black Leather band and I would like to purchase the Apple Black Leather Watch Band, but it doesn't come with a black buckle or black lugs. I still might get though...I dunno

Are you referring to the classic buckle? I don't think I'd want that mostly because of the silver buckle. Of course the $200 price is a bit much as well.

bluesqueen23

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE:

After a little bending over the past few days, I think the Clockwork Synergy band is finally starting to fit better. It was certainly easier to put on this morning...

cws band.JPG

rangerdeyo

Trusted Member
Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I got an early Christmas present yesterday...

IMG_5509.JPG

Black aged leather band. Now I have brown, black and blue leather bands. I'm set, :biggrin: