Apple Watch Series 1 or 1st Gen SS SB Milanese

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
So, you know how sometimes we, as humans can't make up our minds?
Well, I was fortunate enough to buy two watches.
- Apple Watch Series 1, with a simply Sport band, Aluminium Space Grey looking $299 & Apple Care+
- 1st Gen Stainless Steel Space Black, with a Milanese band $549.00 & Apple Care+

I've not left to pick up either one yet, I'm still on the fence. Honestly, if the 1st Gen, wasn't as expensive, I'd buy that and call it a day. But, then I think, in a year, I won't be able to sell it; not that it is compulsory to sell. However, I'm always thinking about the resale value...

Hmm, decisions, decisions. Maybe, option three, is to wait till tomorrow, to see if Apple have a Series 2 available, Stainless Steel, Space Black, for pick up. Albeit, not holding much hope there (can't check till after midnight...

Lynk12

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had my original watch sport in space gray since launch ... i ordered it the day after pre-sale started back in 2015 and never looked back ... i absolutely love it ... while i am sure that series 1 and 2 are equally awesome what you have to ask yourself is do you absolutely need the features you'll pay more for with the series 2 ... is there a use case for you to upgrade to the higher end device if so i would wait because you don't want to buy something and regret it later ... i am all about buying the latest and greatest and future proofing yourself for as long as possible but if those extra features aren't going to make or break your purchase then maybe all you need is the series 1 ...
i will be continuing to rock the original because even though i like the new features i feel that my watch does the job i need it to do and in the end that is the decision you have to make for yourself ... if gps and waterproof are something that is necessary for you to use the watch how you want to use it then it is worth the wait to get what you really want and not have any regrets about it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have had my original watch sport in space gray since launch ... i ordered it the day after pre-sale started back in 2015 and never looked back ... i absolutely love it ... while i am sure that series 1 and 2 are equally awesome what you have to ask yourself is do you absolutely need the features you'll pay more for with the series 2 ... is there a use case for you to upgrade to the higher end device if so i would wait because you don't want to buy something and regret it later ... i am all about buying the latest and greatest and future proofing yourself for as long as possible but if those extra features aren't going to make or break your purchase then maybe all you need is the series 1 ...
i will be continuing to rock the original because even though i like the new features i feel that my watch does the job i need it to do and in the end that is the decision you have to make for yourself ... if gps and waterproof are something that is necessary for you to use the watch how you want to use it then it is worth the wait to get what you really want and not have any regrets about it.

Outstanding!, and my sentiment exactly!!!...

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I have three Apple Watches, all on wOS3 and they're very serviceable.

However, I would not recommend paying big money for an Apple Watch at this point. Get the Series 1 or take that $549 and 'invest' it in a Series 2. The S1 gives you a tad of future-proofing and the S2 takes it even farther.

Trying to sell a Watch to finance a purchase is more luck than skill, and almost a fool's errand, not to be counted on. I'd say just assume you'll get next to nothing when you want to sell it and get a Watch that will make you happy the entire time you own it.

If I couldn't afford an S2 and had to live with the Watch until it didn't run, I'd be OK. Not dancing in the street, but OK. wOS3 is that big of a deal for me.

Unless you can get a steal-deal on a Watch, go for an S 1 or 2.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
...as always, I like your breakdown, and your long term thinking.

I have three Apple Watches, all on wOS3 and they're very serviceable.

However, I would not recommend paying big money for an Apple Watch at this point. Get the Series 1 or take that $549 and 'invest' it in a Series 2. The S1 gives you a tad of future-proofing and the S2 takes it even farther.

Trying to sell a Watch to finance a purchase is more luck than skill, and almost a fool's errand, not to be counted on. I'd say just assume you'll get next to nothing when you want to sell it and get a Watch that will make you happy the entire time you own it.

If I couldn't afford an S2 and had to live with the Watch until it didn't run, I'd be OK. Not dancing in the street, but OK. wOS3 is that big of a deal for me.

Unless you can get a steal-deal on a Watch, go for an S 1 or 2.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
1st generation is slow and terrible. Would not touch it.

I disagree there. I'm still using my original AW and after finding that the GPS function does not work the way I wanted it to be, I ditched the idea of purchasing a series 2.

The original AW is slow especially on startup, but is very usable once it's on and now on OS 3, it's a whole lot better. That being said, I'll still continue with my original AW.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox