Has anyone had success selling their original Apple Watch in order to buy the new one?

doc16mom

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I have been looking at the Swappa market lately to see what they are selling for as I have bought the SS Space Black Apple Watch Series 2 in hopes of me selling my original Apple Watch SS. Most of the ones on Swappa seem to be not selling. They are asking 225-280. With BB going as low as $220, I am thinking I might have to settle for somewhere around $100-$120 so, after the Swappa fees it will be around $100 or less.

Which makes me think....I spent $650 on the watch exactly a year ago and would lose around $550 from the transaction. I spent $650 on the new one and when the next version comes out, will I have to sell that one for $100. Which makes me wonder if the new features are all that. I cannot tell the difference in the display between my old one and the one and the performance is more or less the same so, what I am gaining besides waterproof and a faster processor? Conceivably, i could take the $650 and pay off most of my new IP7 + with that and that money invested should have a better return a year from now, when the next iPhone is released.

Seems like the watches are strictly consumables- use them and move on. I also purchased a series 2 and see very little difference if any between the original and series 2. The series two is a hair faster. I hoping for the same form factor for the next Watch because I will not be purchasing and just ride out the apple care plus for two years. Seems like you need to keep the Watch two years to make the purchase worth while .

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Seems like the watches are strictly consumables- use them and move on. I also purchased a series 2 and see very little difference if any between the original and series 2. The series two is a hair faster. I hoping for the same form factor for the next Watch because I will not be purchasing and just ride out the apple care plus for two years. Seems like you need to keep the Watch two years to make the purchase worth while .

I think in reality, I'm going to return my Apple Watch series 2. I keep trying to look for reasons to keep it but they don't seem to help. I just hope the same doesn't happen to me with the new iPhone 7 plus.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Seems like the watches are strictly consumables- use them and move on.

This is exactly my mindset with electronics in general. There is a very small window to flip a product and not lose your shirt and pants. That's usually before a new version is announced, when nobody is sure what the features will be. Once that ship has sailed...

This is even truer with the Watch lines. They have a pretty big premium that is nearly impossible to recoup. So, I buy with the expectation of selling for financing another purchase. If somebody offers me a decent price, that'd be a different story.

The real question (which may have already been answered) is how much does/will Apple charge to replace the battery. A couple of battery chances could equal the price (or a big piece) of a new watch. There's the question of now many OSs it'll support. I'm fairly OK with it being a consumable, but not a disposable.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Agreed. OS3 was such a game changer that I'm convinced upgrading doesn't make sense unless you're a runner (and want GPS) or a swimmer. The improvement in speed and screen brightness just aren't enough on their own to warrant an upgrade.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. OS3 was such a game changer that I'm convinced upgrading doesn't make sense unless you're a runner (and want GPS) or a swimmer. The improvement in speed and screen brightness just aren't enough on their own to warrant an upgrade.

I went with the Series 1 because I don't swim and I'm not a huge runner. Those small differences, imo, don't justify a $100 price difference. I'm happy with my purchase.

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I gave up on selling it for now, and went ahead and ordered a series 2. I need it for swimming or I wouldn't be upgrading. But I realized I can't sell my original watch until I have the new one, because I don't want to miss out on my Activity ring! LOL! Once I get it, I'll try to sell my original again.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I gave up on selling it for now, and went ahead and ordered a series 2. I need it for swimming or I wouldn't be upgrading. But I realized I can't sell my original watch until I have the new one, because I don't want to miss out on my Activity ring! LOL! Once I get it, I'll try to sell my original again.

I'm sure you'll have no problem getting rid of it when the time comes!

jrsharp70

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
You can't think of a friend or family member who would love to have it as a gift? Or, conversely, is it not worth it to you to have a second watch in a different color to wear with a different outfit or to work outside and not care if it gets scratched up?

I don't have a series 1, but I'll probably buy one from someone for super cheap just to have one that I don't care about scratching if I'm working and just need notifications.

You'll wish you kept it when you can't bear to wear your shiny new watch for fear of damaging it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner