Has anyone had success selling their original Apple Watch in order to buy the new one?

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I love my Apple Watch, and had no intention of upgrading. A week ago I said..."There's no reason to upgrade unless they add the ability to track swimming. Ha ha." Sigh. And then they did. I've been trying to post my current watch on Craigslist, but not even a nibble. I'm wondering if there's just no market for them, because the price point on series one is so low. 😢. Mine is a stainless steel, not a sport, so I was hoping I'd have a chance. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Laura

anon(764611)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I have the 42mm sports going for $220 and have not sold yet.
It's going to be a tough sale, because Best Buy has them for $219.99 new right now. They have just dropped the prices so much right now that selling one will be a challenge unless you plan on taking a crappy hit on the sale.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Dumped my first gen on CL in the 31st (42mm SS) for 220. My coworker has been trying like you guys to sell his and like you, he's had not a single inquiry. You're going to have to go super low. Especially since Apple is giving the first ten a spec bump. I remember thinking to myself when they announced the bump that that was going to make selling first gens super hard.

aokusman1

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
It's going to be a tough sale, because Best Buy has them for $219.99 new right now. They have just dropped the prices so much right now that selling one will be a challenge unless you plan on taking a crappy hit on the sale.

I'm willing to take $180. It has Apple care plus till nov 2017. Banking on someone not knowing about the bestbuy sales.

tmb2013

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I thought about it and finally decided to list mine for sale. Listed it Friday afternoon. Had about 7 responses collected the cash today and the watch is off to a new owner.

Apple Watch Sport, 42 mm gold with blue band ( and I included a red band as well).

Was paid $220.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Data point:

I've been following Ebay and it looks like SS models with a sports band sell for an average of $250.

tmb2013

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I was quite happily surprised to get an email on Saturday morning saying that my series2 had shipped and was to be delivered to me on Thursday.

Sadly that appears to be wishful thinking as I noticed the UPS tracking site has the watch arriving in Osaka, Japan and the very odd notation that "the recipient has requested a free trade broker, removed from UPS brokerage system" ..................??

no idea what that meant so I sent a screen shot of that to UPS help and got the message that "due to the volume of packages from Apple, many packages have been delayed"

NO new estimated delivery date, and no attempt to estimate when things will start moving.

So UPS who have the Apple contract are abrogating Apple's guaranteed delivery date because "there are too many packages???"

Amazing.

doc16mom

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I bought my stainless steel new a year ago with sports band. All I could get was $235.00 ...the resale value on these watches is bad! You just have to buy it, use it and enjoy. If your looking for good resale you should invest in a Rolex!

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have been looking at the Swappa market lately to see what they are selling for as I have bought the SS Space Black Apple Watch Series 2 in hopes of me selling my original Apple Watch SS. Most of the ones on Swappa seem to be not selling. They are asking 225-280. With BB going as low as $220, I am thinking I might have to settle for somewhere around $100-$120 so, after the Swappa fees it will be around $100 or less.

Which makes me think....I spent $650 on the watch exactly a year ago and would lose around $550 from the transaction. I spent $650 on the new one and when the next version comes out, will I have to sell that one for $100. Which makes me wonder if the new features are all that. I cannot tell the difference in the display between my old one and the one and the performance is more or less the same so, what I am gaining besides waterproof and a faster processor? Conceivably, i could take the $650 and pay off most of my new IP7 + with that and that money invested should have a better return a year from now, when the next iPhone is released.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods