What type of Apple Watch are you going to buy?

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a 42mm stainless steel watch, series 0. I'm going to upgrade to Series 2 but not sure if I should go to the stainless steel or aluminum version. Any thoughts?

If weight is important for you Aluminum is lighter !
Aluminum 42mm 34.2g
Stainless. 42mm 52.4g

Ariel484

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I got a 38mm silver aluminum with white sport band series 2 - had it on order (expected sliver date end of October) but after religiously checking the app I saw they were available for pick-up at an Apple Store about 40 minutes away. Picked up the watch and canceled my order.

Employee at the Apple Store told me last week he thought the pre-orders would
Be filled before watches appeared in stores...obviously not true. Keep checking the app!

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Was on the fence and still am. It's either the stainless steel or the stainless steel space grey. I like the space grey because it will match my iPhone that I ordered. I really like the shine from the regular stainless steel.

I ordered the stainless steel in space grey. Not completely sold on it. I am sold on the upgrade.

Mark Guim

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Thinking of getting the stainless steel version. Still undecided on which band to get, so will probably get the one with white sports band first, then get a red or blue classic buckle.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to get the stainless, but opted for aluminum. I can be pretty tough on my watches. I won't feel as bad when I ding up aluminum vs stainless :)

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I initially went with the Space Black SS s2 but traded up to the ceramic Edition today. Absolutely loving it!

Interesting. I was going to do the all white ceramic edition watch. Thought it was too much after seeing it in person so I went with the SS black version with the sports band.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to get the stainless, but opted for aluminum. I can be pretty tough on my watches. I won't feel as bad when I ding up aluminum vs stainless :)

See and that was the exact opposite of my thoughts. The SS case can be polished to remove scratches, but the glass cant :). The sapphire glass on the SS will scratch much less than the IonX on aluminum models.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Got it! Series II, Stainless Steel Space Grey. It was due till between 18th - 31st Oct...!

d00c7770be61768379632fc31a9a2ccc.jpg

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The sapphire glass on the SS will scratch much less than the IonX on aluminum models.

A screen protector can mitigate the damage to either Watch crystal. The sapphire crystal is more likely to break or chip than scratch.

If a Watch is likely to sustain scratches and other impacts, I'd go with the Aluminum, too. The case is less likely to show finer scratches that would readily stand out on a Stainless. Dings would be a problem on either case. The Ion-X glass will handle impact better, and the cost difference would make a 'work patina' more palatable.

Sapphire crystals can be polished with diamond paste, but practically speaking it's more labor than most owners or jewelers want to do. I don't know about Ion-X, but it's harder than the acrylic most common watches use.

You have to decide from the beginning- is the watch a tool or jewelry and live the results.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711