Any runners out there considering the Apple Watch Nike+ edition?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I run a lot, and if you read my other thread, you'll know I'm considering the Apple Watch Series 2. That said, the new complimentary Nike+ Apple Watch looks intriguing, but I'm not sure I'd drop the $ on it over just a regular series 2.

Any feedback or advice on the pros and cons of the Nike+ edition over a standard series 2?

Note: I'm not that crazy about the Nike+ band options either. I'd feel comfortable wearing them out for a run, but in most other situations, I'd need to slip on another band!

xTmX Korrupt

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't have an Apple Watch but I am considering the Nike version. I think the bands look nice and fitting for a fitness focused watch. From what I read on the apple website there is a few Nike perks software wise on the watch.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I am definitely considering the Nike+ model. Do you all know if the running software they discussed is only available on the Nike+ edition? I would suspect that's the case. Anyway, when I upgrade to the Series 2, it will most likely be the Nike edition. I mean, I would love a ceramic one, but I am not willing to shell out $1000+ for a watch.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I am definitely considering the Nike+ model. Do you all know if the running software they discussed is only available on the Nike+ edition? I would suspect that's the case. Anyway, when I upgrade to the Series 2, it will most likely be the Nike edition. I mean, I would love a ceramic one, but I am not willing to shell out $1000+ for a watch.

My thoughts exactly on the ceramic... and I was wondering the same thing about the Nike+ edition... if the software is proprietary, that might change things a bit.

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My wife is an avid runner and I showed the design of the Nike+ Watch to her and she said it was too masculine. I wonder if Apple is thinking about all the lady runners out there that have the same sentiment as my wife. She like the basic Apple Watch Sport with the turquoise band though...just funny. She is the target market for the Nike version and she has no interest.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
My guess is with this partnership it is going to be similar to Hermes. So in order to get that band (which you said you weren't too crazy about so no big deal there) and the nike watch faces and software you are going to have to get the nike plus collection. That is what is making me wait for October. I currently have a 38mm Apple watch and have collected plenty of bands. Im intrigued behind the Nike app on the series 2 watch and then I got to thinking and it wouldn't be a terrible idea to buy the Nike plus series 2 watch in space gray so I would have both a space gray watch and a silver stainless steel. Its so easy to change between watches now in iOS 10.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My wife is an avid runner and I showed the design of the Nike+ Watch to her and she said it was too masculine. I wonder if Apple is thinking about all the lady runners out there that have the same sentiment as my wife. She like the basic Apple Watch Sport with the turquoise band though...just funny. She is the target market for the Nike version and she has no interest.

I'm a lady runner and I love the look. I don't think it'll look much different than the AW sport that I wear all the time now.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Nike+ model will have all the other new watch faces on there? I don't think I will want to use the Nike watch faces all the time.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I believe the Nike version is the same price as the regular series 2. Also, the Nike+ app won't be proprietary, but I think a couple of the Nike-specific watch faces will be.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
then I got to thinking and it wouldn't be a terrible idea to buy the Nike plus series 2 watch in space gray so I would have both a space gray watch and a silver stainless steel. Its so easy to change between watches now in iOS 10.

I like the way you think!

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe the Nike version is the same price as the regular series 2. Also, the Nike+ app won't be proprietary, but I think a couple of the Nike-specific watch faces will be.

I agree. Whenever Apple announces a perk for any specific device, I have noticed that all similar devices get it as well. It would be too hard for them to have different software updates going forward.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
As I've mentioned earlier on this site, I'm kinda new to Apple Watch. Mine was gifted a couple of months ago to me. I'm not a runner, but an dedicated walker (at my age) but I really like the looks of the grey band and the Sunday reminder to just do it.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I considered the Nike+ edition, but it doesn't sound like it does anything more than the regular series 2. I use GPS multiple times per week on my Garmin Vivoactive, and battery life is outstanding. I wear it overnight and use it as an alarm clock (I run super-early in the morning and need a silent alarm to avoid disturbing everyone else in the household). So, I'm torn, because I don't think the Apple Watch will be as good at fitness activities as my Garmin. But it'll undoubtedly be a vastly superior smart watch.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts too. There may be run/workout specific devices that are better, but for an all in one, the Apple Watch will probably cover more bases!

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts too. There may be run/workout specific devices that are better, but for an all in one, the Apple Watch will probably cover more bases!

Agreed. Sure there are exercise specific devices that do more, but you can't answer a text message or any of the host of other things the Apple Watch can do. One of my sons is a triathlete and he uses the Apple Watch to record his workouts etc. It does what he needs while doing all the rest.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
The only differences between the Nike Edition and the other S2 watches are the watch bands and the two Nike specific watch faces.

With a different band, the Nike could pass for any other Al Sport Watch. The Nike faces are supposed to provide greater running/walking information at a glance compared to most of the other watch faces. As it's the same price, it might be a better choice for some people.

I do like the bands, which generally don't seem to be getting much love.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

As long as it can stay charged overnight, then get me through my morning run (30-45 minutes) and fully recharge while I'm getting ready for work, it'll meet my needs.

Will it transfer my runs to Strava? I've read that it only transferred from Strava to Apple Health in previous editions of the watch. Too, some people reported that it didn't transfer heart rate data, and that's an important component of my training.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
As long as it can stay charged overnight, then get me through my morning run (30-45 minutes) and fully recharge while I'm getting ready for work, it'll meet my needs.

Will it transfer my runs to Strava? I've read that it only transferred from Strava to Apple Health in previous editions of the watch. Too, some people reported that it didn't transfer heart rate data, and that's an important component of my training.
Sorry I can't answer, but think you may to to keep with the fitness specific devices, though I'm not positive. Again, I say it's for someone like me that wants it all, but in my 60's and don't push nor record my limits. I simply walk hard for a minimum of 4 miles a day and my Apple Watch does keep up with my distance, calories and heart rate to my satisfaction.
I do have to put it on the charger after my work outs while in the shower. Although it will make the day normally, it has failed to do it a few times, so I just charge while I shower.
I hope the swimming part of the watch does what my triathlete competing son needs, but he loves the watch so much that he will adapt to make it work for him.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I no longer have to wear a watch while I sleep so put it on the charger at night. And recently I was playing around with a sleep app so I started wearing it overnight again.

It did well on a charge, but I put in on the charger during my bedtime routine, and then again during my morning routine, just to be sure it had juice to spare.

I don't know that the S2 will function for 24hrs, then get through a workout with just one charge while you're getting ready for work. Lots of variables, starting with the chosen watch face.

armimatos

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Polar Watch :( but im considering buying this one and sell it, do you think is a good idea o I should just keep my polar watch?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods