Built in GPS in Apple Watch 2 a game changer for me

aokusman1

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I am a runner as well and always take my phone with me on my runs. The GPS on the first Watch is spotty because it relies on the iPhone, but I am assuming that the built-in Watch GPS will make for more accurate distances. I have a buyer interested in my Watch but am torn on whether I want to wait 3-5 weeks for Series 2! That said, I only have a couple of big runs coming up in the next month, so I could get by without it - even though I'll miss my notifications and other watch stuff, lol.

Decisions, decisions...

I run with my Apple Watch and phone. The gps is taken from your phone. If it's spotty then it's your phone having issues. The Watch just copies off your phone.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I run about 40 miles a week and have been using the original Apple Watch since it came out. I like the faster speeds of series 2 and will upgrade for that reason alone. The GPS is not that big of a deal for me because I cannot imagine running without my phone and my phone gives me all the GPS functionality I need. I tend to push myself to my limit during runs which has resulted in some injuries far from home. I want my phone with me so I can call for help when the injuries happen. For me an injury or sudden bad weather tends to happen a couple times a year and my wife is good to come rescue me with her car but I can't make those rescue calls for help without my phone.

You push yourself to the limit, too? Same here. Currently injured for that very reason.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I"m actually thinking of the series 2 but just for GPS only too, the other new features don't matter much to me. That being said, not sure if spending that much money just for GPS feature justifies purchasing the series 2.

I've to wait and see.

aokusman1

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I"m actually thinking of the series 2 but just for GPS only too, the other new features don't matter much to me. That being said, not sure if spending that much money just for GPS feature justifies purchasing the series 2.

I've to wait and see.

Yeah bit expensive just for gps.

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'd be interested in knowing if the GPS radio is any more sensitive than that of the phone. The phone has more room for a radio and antenna so at first blush it should be better than the S2.

But Apple is constantly improving and improvising tech so I remain curious. GPS in a Watch isn't a necessity for me, but it can be handy. I tend to keep my phone with me more often than not. If I ran, I'd want to leave it behind, but it too can be handy.

I don't want a phone in the Watch, but the ability to send the SOS with GPS data could be very handy.

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I got the Series 2 today(sport black 42mm). I upgraded from my original mainly for the GPS, which is a game changer for me. I'd like to know the GPS accuracy or know when it's locked on to a signal. The new running interface in the exercise app is great and nicely customizable, but it doesn't matter if the GPS isn't accurate. I'm running a half marathon tomorrow, but will probably have to use Runkeeper or endomondo until I've had a chance to test it.

Does anyone with the series 2 know if there's a way to see the GPS signal on the watch?

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I run with my Apple Watch and phone. The gps is taken from your phone. If it's spotty then it's your phone having issues. The Watch just copies off your phone.

Not true at all. Plenty of runners have experienced the same issue I have. GPS from phone to watch isn't 100% accurate.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I got the Series 2 today(sport black 42mm). I upgraded from my original mainly for the GPS, which is a game changer for me. I'd like to know the GPS accuracy or know when it's locked on to a signal. The new running interface in the exercise app is great and nicely customizable, but it doesn't matter if the GPS isn't accurate. I'm running a half marathon tomorrow, but will probably have to use Runkeeper or endomondo until I've had a chance to test it.

Does anyone with the series 2 know if there's a way to see the GPS signal on the watch?
Not sure, but hope your half went great!

Suggs68

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I am a runner as well and always take my phone with me on my runs. The GPS on the first Watch is spotty because it relies on the iPhone, but I am assuming that the built-in Watch GPS will make for more accurate distances. I have a buyer interested in my Watch but am torn on whether I want to wait 3-5 weeks for Series 2! That said, I only have a couple of big runs coming up in the next month, so I could get by without it - even though I'll miss my notifications and other watch stuff, lol.

Decisions, decisions...

So it's confirmed that the Series 2 gps only kicks in if you're running without your phone. If you have your phone on and it's not in airplane mode, the watch will automatically use the phone's GPS. Honestly, had I known that I may not have gotten my Series 2 since I always run with my phone. I am happy I got it since it's noticeably faster and brighter, and I do like new things :) but it definitely isn't necessary.

I've tried runs both with and without my phone and both GPS's are very accurate. Also, be forewarned that right now the only running app that uses the Series 2 GPS is the stock Apple exercise app. None of the 3rd party apps support it yet.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at this...
I think my Series 2 transit through a Wormhole...
Magically from Shangai to Anchorage to Korea then back to Shanghai

IMG_1474471532.960250.jpg

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
it's noticeably faster and brighter, and I do like new things

The three main reasons why I ordered an S2! LOL!

First and mainly, for the brighter display. Seriously. While legible in bright sunlight, most of the time anyway, it was very washed out. It needed to be brighter.

A bump in speed is always nice and this should be noticeable. GPS could be handy, but I want it to do is send my location to EMS and my ICE without my phone, and that isn't possible. Maybe with Series 3. (I don't want to rely on known network connectivity.)

cheli007

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Also, be forewarned that right now the only running app that uses the Series 2 GPS is the stock Apple exercise app. None of the 3rd party apps support it yet.

Will Apple allow them to? Will they even open it up to third parties other than Nike? I'd love to be able to use MapMyRun with the watch GPS.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2