Built in GPS in Apple Watch 2 a game changer for me

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Let me start with this: I never owned the original Apple Watch, or as it's known now 'Apple Watch Series 1'. I felt after giving it a fair try (for a week or so) that it tried to do a lot of things, none of them particularly well. But as watchOS has developed, I've been more and more impressed with Apple Watch, and now that Apple Watch Series 2 is here, I'm seriously considering the spend.

Why? One thing. Built in GPS.

I do a lot of running. Well, let's say jogging (I'm not that fast). I'm also a longtime Fitbit user, and overall have been extremely happy with my experience on all of their devices. However, now that the Apple Watch has built-in GPS, I'm seriously considering a purchase to completely replace my Fitbit experience.

True, I could go for the Fitbit Surge (with built-in GPS), but all the device does is what it is supposed to do... ongoing health tracking, fitness tracking, etc. The Apple Watch would take it to another level. All of the benefits of fitness tracking with GPS, along with full integration with my phone, tablet, desktop, etc.

For now let's just say I'm really intrigued. I'm not going to drop the $$$ immediately, but will definitely head down to an Apple Store when they are on display to check them out. I have a feeling a lot of longtime Fitbit users are in a similar situation.

Your thoughts?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm stoked about GPS. Big runner here, too. I've actually hated the third party apps on the current AW. They're slow, laggy and unreliable. I'm excited to see what the new watchOS brings along with the new hardware. I will probably be gunning for a Nike AW.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I will buy the serie-1 with the new processor because I don't see the use of GPS since I always bring my iPhone everywhere anyway...
And it's 100$ less than the serie-2 that will be put on the Airpods !
My sport is biking so no need of 50M water protection.

The only thing that would make me buy the serie-2 would be if the speaker is much louder than serie-1...

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The GPS did sound like a great feature, but as an AW "series 1" (lol) owner, I really like the Activity and workout apps. Sure seeing the map would be great and I've missed running with Nike+ but I've gotten used to it. No crazy swimming here so no need for the 50meter resistance. I do have one question though. With GPS enabled, would it affect the battery life of the watch?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how much GPS would effect my daily usage really. However it would nice when Pok?mon Go comes to Apple Watch. I used a Pebble Steel until I got my Apple Watch, and even though it's not best smart watch out there, I would miss it terribly if it was gone. I actually get annoyed now when notifications pass through my phone instead of my Apple Watch. I'm more excited about the 50m water protection.

RobtRoma

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
For now, there are no killer features that make me want to upgrade from my Series 1 Gen 1. I typically have my phone with me when I cycle or walk so no need for the GPS. Waterproofing would be nice for when I do pool workouts but I can live without it. The the rest of thew new features would also be nice but I just can't justify the upgrade price for what I would be getting.

I do have one question though. With GPS enabled, would it affect the battery life of the watch?

I would be shocked if the GPS didn't quickly drain the battery. When I used to use my MS Band's built-in GPS, a half hour of bicycle riding would drain about 1/4 to 1/3 of the battery life. It dwindled very quickly. I'm very curious to see how the GPS in the Series 2 performs.

Last edited:

Ariza16

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
thank you! yea that's what i have been thinking, and considering they didn't mention an improved battery. GPS doesn't make me sprint for a new one, will wait until the next series, the series 1 will feel new with Watch OS3

Ariel484

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm also a runner, and I'll be getting an Apple Watch...but I've been using Garmins for years and they are SO good that I'm not sure I want to go away from them for running.

I decided to downgrade my Garmin (I have a Forerunner 230) - I have a Forerunner 25 coming today and will sell my FR230 on eBay, and put the difference toward an Apple Watch. Right now I wear my FR230 daily so I'm looking forward to changing my daily watch, and I'll use the FR25 for running only. :)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm also a runner, and I'll be getting an Apple Watch...but I've been using Garmins for years and they are SO good that I'm not sure I want to go away from them for running.

I decided to downgrade my Garmin (I have a Forerunner 230) - I have a Forerunner 25 coming today and will sell my FR230 on eBay, and put the difference toward an Apple Watch. Right now I wear my FR230 daily so I'm looking forward to changing my daily watch, and I'll use the FR25 for running only. :)

Good call. I've never actually used a Garmin, but I hear they are killer for runners!!

Mac Guy

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Since Apple specs show Series 1 as having a dual core processor, none of us own a Series 1. Yet. We own pre-Series Watches, The Original Watch! LOL

This really only matters if you're selling these Watches. Somebody might not realize that "series 1" isn't Series 1 but pre-Series, non-dual core.

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I run about 40 miles a week and have been using the original Apple Watch since it came out. I like the faster speeds of series 2 and will upgrade for that reason alone. The GPS is not that big of a deal for me because I cannot imagine running without my phone and my phone gives me all the GPS functionality I need. I tend to push myself to my limit during runs which has resulted in some injuries far from home. I want my phone with me so I can call for help when the injuries happen. For me an injury or sudden bad weather tends to happen a couple times a year and my wife is good to come rescue me with her car but I can't make those rescue calls for help without my phone.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm a Garmin owner (a 920XT) and both run and cycle. On the plus side my Garmin is rock solid as a GPS device, tracks runs and rides very accurately, has a barometric altimeter (records altitude more accurately than GPS alone) and has much, much better battery life than an Apple Watch. The downsides are the Smart features aren't very Smart, it doesn't do music playback and it's supremely ugly.
I'm kind of approaching this from the opposite end of the scale to a Fitbit user because the Garmin watches are top notch as GPS fitness devices, but not much good as a Smart watch and too expensive for very casual users. There's still compromise required with the new Apple Watch for me (I charge my Garmin about once a week) but GPS means I'm going to give one of the Nike editions a go.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Would it be possible to use the GPS to set the time on the watch? Not now, probably, but sometime in the future? Would it take a hardware change, or would a software one suffice, I wonder?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Since Apple specs show Series 1 as having a dual core processor, none of us own a Series 1. Yet. We own pre-Series Watches, The Original Watch! LOL

This really only matters if you're selling these Watches. Somebody might not realize that "series 1" isn't Series 1 but pre-Series, non-dual core.

My support profile page says "1st Gen", FWIW.

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 9.06.18 PM.png

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am a runner as well and always take my phone with me on my runs. The GPS on the first Watch is spotty because it relies on the iPhone, but I am assuming that the built-in Watch GPS will make for more accurate distances. I have a buyer interested in my Watch but am torn on whether I want to wait 3-5 weeks for Series 2! That said, I only have a couple of big runs coming up in the next month, so I could get by without it - even though I'll miss my notifications and other watch stuff, lol.

Decisions, decisions...