Mac ID works GREAT on my watch...

lackster2

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Just downloaded Mac ID for iOS onto my iPhone 6. This app allows you to lock or unlock your Mac with your paired Apple Watch.

I have two Mac Minis, a mid-2011 (for general web use) and a late 2012 model (used with Parallels and Windows 7 for running 3D CAD). Both machines are running the latest version of Yosemite.

First, download the iOS app to your iPhone. On your Mac, Google Mac ID, go to their website, and follow the instructions to enter the unlock passcode for your Mac (NOT your Apple ID) and the encrypted file is saved.

Then, in the Apple Watch app on your phone, enable the Mac ID app in Glances for the watch. I then re-ordered the glances screen to show the Mac ID as the first screen (you may desire a different order).

The UI on the watch is good. It shows the current lock/unlock status, and a simple press toggles the lock state. If you have multiple Macs, you can scroll up to display the icon associated with that particular Mac, and then toggle the lock. Additionally, the Wi-Fi network is listed, the battery state of the paired iPhone is shown, and you can also control your iTunes music play status within the glance screen (although I have yet to use this feature).

So far, I'm really pleased! Two thumbs up, and highly recommended.
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1242.JPG

Last edited:

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I used MacID before for my iPhone but eventually uninstalled it because it began to act weird. Now with the Apple Watch extension, I'm back. I love how I can lock my Mac with my watch and control the music and stuff.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Yep MacID is great. I think I am going to start using it again :) I go back and forth since it is not 100% on my Mac running beta software.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh